You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Alien vs. Predator Requeim

monkeychow wrote:

Ok here is my full REVIEW....SPIOLERS, SPOILERS.....enough said...

Differnet people will like this or hate this or find it "ok" depending on what you like about the Alien/Predator movies. First a quick bit of background about where I stand on this issue. I am NOT a fan of the predator franchise (ducks attempted murder from pred fans). I really like predator 1 - cos it's a fun story, and because I like Arnie and Jessie the Body. Predator 2 did nothing for me. And predator's alone don't do much for me. So i'm the kinda guy that thought AvP #1 would have been cooler if it had been an actual alien movie about the formation of the company, with weiland finding them in the pyramid, and a bit more plot, and loose the whole ending of the fake black ripley teaming up with the predator and all of that. That's would have been my ideal alien 5. But i know thats just me. Once i moved on an acceped AvP #1 for what it was - i found it enjoyable anyway.

Predator 1 is a good film, but its a very different franchise to alien. And mixing them only serves to fuck up the alien concept. Like the alien movies are susposed to have deeper psychological thems about mothergood, and be suspensful, and have interesting stuff about the company (and thus future of earth) , and a good amount of character interaction and development which is why we care when people die. However the predator franchise IMO is like friday the 13th of scifi...the point is just to watch the predator using its cool toys and blowing stuff up. Which is fun for what it is.

Anyway...so if your into the predator...you'll prob like this movie just cos you see a bit of predator action and goodly toy use. But even if i accept the AvP idea...here are my issues with this movie:

1. Its like the people who make each alien film have only seen the character design from the film before it. Every time the aliens look less giger like, have more slime, grow faster, and once again roar like lions. They're still mighty cool - but it feels like it gets futher and further away with each update.

2. The human characters are not properly fleshed out. This is my major problem with the movie. In a good movie like Aliens - I was really shocked when i thought newt was going to die. Cos i related to newt, and to riply and everyone there, it was like i was in the movie. Here we are slaughtering kids before we even get to know them, and its kinda like "yawn" who cares that they're dying. Its just like they're doing it to go "look we can without being afraid" So theres just no tension - like the start you see a lot of predator stuff which sets a scifi mood but also is kinda like a girl walking in and flashing her pussy on the first meeting....there's not much left to have as a big climax ending, then we procede to slaughter stuff without setting it up as characters first. Very annoying.

3. But is the slaughtering ok you ask? Well yes and no. There are some scenes that are undeniably cool. Then theres some crap. Overall the problem with this movie is an underdeveloped script and BAD directors. Like every shot for the last hour is in the rain in the dark. Which makes CGI easy and look cool, But then its filmed from endless extreme close ups. And like sometimes its hard to even work out whats going on. Like try and tell the difference between an Alien, a predator out of its mask, and a predator-alien hybrid (with the pedator face and alien tail) in the dark, raining, and when filming only 1/16th of its body in a tight as hell shot. Good luck working out whats happening there.

4. So is this an unwatchable mess? No. Basicly its like this. The predator character is cool. The alien character is cool. If you agree with both or either of those statements...you'll get some value from the film. Basicly for me its fun to watch aliens. Even when the studio misses the point, does stuff that fucks them up. Its still some fun. its just one of those things where I come out goimg "what a waste of a chance". Cos like if someone reallly talanted did this...like cameron or someone of his ilk - then an alien v Predator film set on earth could be one of the coolest sci-fi action movies ever. But instead it just turns into a watchable movie with some ok bits and i few things that will annoy a diehard alien fan like me.

5. And there are some good bits. There are three deaths in particular that are kinda cool. One cos it comes from no where, and the other 2 cos they are kinda funny. So theres a couple of pretty cool scenes. Oh and I really really liked the ending part, which i wont say what it is for spoiler effect, but if they'd done more of that in the the film it would have been awesome. Which is what bugs me about the whole thing, its not so crap u wanna turn it off, but its not as good as it should be either.

6. Overall assesment is this: Very VERY slow beginning, like the first 30-50 minutes I was thinking "THIS IS A PILE OF CRAP AND I"LL TELL EVERYONE SO WHEN I GET OUT OF HERE".  BUT BUT BUT...then all of a sudden it kinda gets good...and the last 30-40 mins is pretty fun, has some cool scenes and basicly redeems the movie so that overall its still ok.

So if your expecting a masterpiece you'll be very disapointed. But if u just wanna see an Alien and a predator and don't care too deeply about it all...then with some popcorn and a coke its a bit of fun! So yeah...i did like it enough to watch...but its no Aliens!!

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Alien vs. Predator Requeim

James wrote:

Thanks for the in depth review. I'll be avoiding this film like the plague.

Board footer