You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: How does Oh My God stand up to the CD material?

James wrote:

Hate the song. Felt bad for him when listening to it for the first time. He tried to jump on the bandwagon at the time and fell flat on his face. To add insult to injury, its the worst song on that soundtrack. Korn's Camel Song and Everlast's So Long just destroy the song.

What the fiasco even worse was it being timed with his first mention of Chinese Democracy, the whole word hated it, and it must have made him take a long, hard look at where he was going with the project at the time. In the span of less than two years, Fink bailed, Finck came back, Freese left, and Brain and Bucket joined.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Hate the song. Felt bad for him when listening to it for the first time. He tried to jump on the bandwagon at the time and fell flat on his face. To add insult to injury, its the worst song on that soundtrack. Korn's Camel Song and Everlast's So Long just destroy the song.

What the fiasco even worse was it being timed with his first mention of Chinese Democracy, the whole word hated it, and it must have made him take a long, hard look at where he was going with the project at the time. In the span of less than two years, Fink bailed, Finck came back, Freese left, and Brain and Bucket joined.

Hmmm never equated it all with that makes sense

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I liked it the first time I heard it. But I was hoping the album sounded nothing like it.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I like it, always have... I like the energy and anger in it, and it beats 10 balls of shit out of things like Scraped...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I really liked it on first listen, and I still remember the excitement I had getting the train into the city centre to go buy the End Of Days soundtrack.  I'd say its the best song on that soundtrack, I did really like the Everlast song and Rob Zombie one as well though.
Its funny people saying it got panned, I dont remember that. I never had internet then and all I had to go on what was written in music magazines, I dont remember a bad review, most commended him for not just trying to re-use the old format with a Slash clone.
I love the energy, I remember I was driving and it come on at the very end of an old minidisc I had been playing, I hadnt heard it in a few years and I just had to put the foot to the floor and crank the volume, it was fuckin amazing.
Interested to hear the remixed version Axl mentioned, I'd be suprised if its on the next album all the same. I never got the love some folk had for the live version, saying it was superior to the studio version. I thought the live performance sounded a bit messy and didnt rock anywhere near as hard.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

One of those songs i listened to about 40 times and made myself like.. Shit part is, it has some of his best lyrics... Crawl thru your veins like millions of spiders is an amazing lyric

the production and trend chasing aspect to it, kills it and is one of those moments where u just want to shake him and say "U ARE AXL ROSE, u don't chase trends, u set them"

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^Yeah I agree about the lyrics, there's some great lines there. The spiders line is awesome, and I also like "I was willing to be lost in the shuffle if only you had let me know". It's a great song at a fundemental level...I think the instrumentation lets the rest of the song down a bit...which is why i'd like to hear a newer version one day.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Its a hidden gem... and much better in lyrics and catchiness than riad or scraped..  Makes me wonder what else he thought was not good enough to be on this cd..

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I do like the song...but perhaps it could have been mixed better...it's hard to follow at times...but I like it.

Also, I do believe that the reactions to the song was one of the many reasons we didn't see chinese democracy sooner. I believe there was at least a foundation for an album with that theme in the late 90s, and when the reaction was so poor, he may have started over. This is speculation of course.

I also think he was typecast...people were not expecting that sound from him at all...and when it came, it had no chance to be successful.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I like the versus a lot, the guitar solo doesn't seem to fit too well to me.  The Chorus has potential, but I feel like something is missing.  I like the lyrics.

Board footer