You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Slash album reviews

Saikin wrote:
TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Wow, that's bad mp3 compression there... strange too, bitrate is high enough but it's sooo sizzly in the high end tones. I've erased after three songs or so, the youtube clips are of comparable quality and can tide me over until I can actually buy the disc.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

A review from one of the biggest newspapers in Norway:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/04/05/kult … /11141294/

You can all google-translate if you're very interested.

If not, here's a few translated points from the review:

- (Headline): Where did all the cool riffs go?

- ...it's odd, that on what he calls his first soloalbum, he is not very present at all...

- the Ozzy- and Astbury-songs are the best on the album

- Slash's collaboration with punkrebel Iggy Pop are a "drunkinwedding" made in heaven

- Grandpa Lemmy's contribution passes the test...

- By The Sword is a good amotive retro-Zeppelin-ish song

- Adam Levin and Myles Kennedy are OK, but mostly wierd and interesting contributions...

- Everything else is mostly guests who are better off in their respective camps

- The riffguitarist who introduced WTTJ, SCOM and It's So easy into every houshold, is unfourtunatly hard to notice on this album...

Score: 3 out of 6

And from the biggest newspaper in Norway:
http://www.vg.no/musikk/artikkel.php?artid=595256

Also score: 3 out of 6

So avarage reception from the the two biggest newspapers in norway.

I've not listened to the whole album. Will buy it today....  smile

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The critics are the ones comparing this to GNR, on its own merits, its a fine album and I will listen to this more than libertad for sure.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

It does ma nut in when reviewers talking about CD hark back to 20 year old AFD, its equally as irritating if they are now doing it to Slash's album. But most reviews I've read so far have managed to avoid going there. Who gives a fuck about about WTTJ when they are supposed to be speaking about a new album just released in 2010?!
Its irrelevant, and as far as I'm concerned as soon as they fall back on that old chestnut it makes their entire review irrelevent.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Olorin, they don't get it.  The need to review this album, not compare/contrast to Old GNR.  What band could ever live up to them anyway in the modern era?  None, that was one of the greatest bands ever!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Boy nothing turns out the way I expected.

I thought CD would get slammed in 2008...

Got mostly positive reviews

I thought Slash's solo album would get tons of great reviews despite mediocrity...

Getting slammed

Despite some catchy songs, the album just isn't anything special. Izzy does better solo work than this, and gets no attention. Loaded's Sick owns this album, and yet got no attention. It just isn't that good. It's average at best. And even the absolute greatest songs on the album, and there are a few, it's counter-balanced by the weak stuff.

And sorry to all of those opposed, but ANYTHING these guys do will ALWAYS be measured to the Guns N' Roses throne. Why? Because that's what the people WANT. They don't want Axl and new Guns, they don't want VR, they don't want people going solo, they want Guns N' Fuckin' Roses circa 1991 (at least), and we're getting 20 years removed beyond the heyday. People are moving on to other artists, and other acts, and unless people get the package they've grown accustomed to, they'll give Shinedown their money.

There's an entire generation of consumers now that grew up without a GN'R. If it's not AFD II or AFD III... people will move on. Not to mention the rise of independent artists on iTunes... there's just so many more outlets and channels for music for the music lover these days. Do it their way, or don't do it.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I said when CD came out and I'll say it again. People don't care about Guns n Roses anymore.

CD's lack of sales, hits and airplay--other than week 1 of the song Chinese Democracy--proved it. The same will hold true for Slash. It's being stunningly ignored by radio. By the Sword hasn't cracked the charts yet unless it did so today or yesterday. It will not sell well, and if it generates a hit, it'll be likely more to do with Fergie or Adam Levine than anything else.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i say a reunion would even disappoint at this stage.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Boy nothing turns out the way I expected.

I thought CD would get slammed in 2008...

Got mostly positive reviews

I thought Slash's solo album would get tons of great reviews despite mediocrity...

Getting slammed

Despite some catchy songs, the album just isn't anything special. Izzy does better solo work than this, and gets no attention. Loaded's Sick owns this album, and yet got no attention. It just isn't that good. It's average at best. And even the absolute greatest songs on the album, and there are a few, it's counter-balanced by the weak stuff.

And sorry to all of those opposed, but ANYTHING these guys do will ALWAYS be measured to the Guns N' Roses throne. Why? Because that's what the people WANT. They don't want Axl and new Guns, they don't want VR, they don't want people going solo, they want Guns N' Fuckin' Roses circa 1991 (at least), and we're getting 20 years removed beyond the heyday. People are moving on to other artists, and other acts, and unless people get the package they've grown accustomed to, they'll give Shinedown their money.

There's an entire generation of consumers now that grew up without a GN'R. If it's not AFD II or AFD III... people will move on. Not to mention the rise of independent artists on iTunes... there's just so many more outlets and channels for music for the music lover these days. Do it their way, or don't do it.

While we are at it, can I get the 70' to 72' Rolling Stones back?:haha:

Board footer