You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Rumors building up regarding CDII release date...

Stepvhen wrote:
Gong wrote:

I'd rather speculate on CD2.

Anyone else think it would be wild if they dropped it right before Reading & Leeds?

Any GNR lineup headlining Reading without Slash will get a lukewarm reception at best. It's always a MOSTLY Alt and Indie lineup the archetypical arty types who despise GNR, they will blast GNR out of the water in the press when Reading approaches citing a lack of Slash and CDs lacklustre release and reception at each turn.

2009 Headliners
Kings of Leon Placebo Radiohead Artic Monkeys Faith No More Gossip Lost Prophets

2008cribs
Rage, Metallica Killers Manic Street Preachers Baby Shambles The Cribs

Razorlight Chillis Pumpkins Ash the View Klaxons

The only way they could expect to pull off Reading without it being a failure, is if they had wind in their sales from an Album drop. It would destroy the public perception of Axl as a crazy coot taking years between albums. A self titled would be ballsy as it seems like an attempt to overwrite the past, presuming the album is good it would carry this GNR to high acclaim.

Seems possible. When I first heard GNR for readin all I could think was .. Really? Reading?? Not Download or Sonisphere.. but Reading?

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I hope they call it Chinese Leftovers: The Return of Fu Manchu.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

I apologize in advance for partaking in this discussion or even bringing it back up because I absolutely loathe the setlist complaints.  BUT, I was thinking the other day, why certain songs weren't being played.  I mean I can totally understand them not playing TWAT or Riad because of how difficult those can be vocally for Axl.  And even though they played Scraped and Shackler's a fair amount, those can be difficult too so I could understand them shying away from those too.  Obviously CD, Better, SOD, and Maddy seem to be staples played at nearly every show.  Then you get one or a combination of Sorry, ITW, and TIL.  But I'm slightly surprised they don't play IRS, CITR, or Prostitute hardly at all.  I don't feel any of those songs are all that difficult for Axl to pull off live, so I wonder why they don't take a stab at them. 

I think the setlist complainers would soften a little if they played the 4 staples and then mixed in 2-3 others out of the IRS, CITR, Prostitute, Sorry, ITW, TIL mix.  Of course people would still complain about no TWAT or too much Maddy or the sun rises in the east. 

Anyhow, that would be my only real area of concern.

Quoted for faldor since he forgot what even he saw as a possible concern...

I can recall what I posted less than a week ago, but thanks for the reminder.

My point buzz, was WHAT do YOU consider "barely anything?"  While I questioned why they weren't playing certain songs, I never said they were barely playing any CD songs.  I wouldn't call playing 5-7 songs nightly, which is a third to half of the album, "barely anything".  Now you may, and if that's the case, then fine.  I assume you think they should be playing all the songs from the album at least in a rotational basis.  Those are lofty expectations, and they may have set themselves up for that by playing 13 of the songs at the Tokyo show.  But still, 5-7 new songs is a very solid and respectable number of songs for ANY band touring in support of a new album.

Excuse me while I try to bring us back on track.  I think the band is enjoying themselves quite a bit right now.  They're in the midst of a very successful run of tour dates, which is rolling on for the foreseeable future.  And while I'd LOVE to hear new music or get a new album, I just don't see that happening now.  There's really no need for them to drop a new album while they're already touring another album.  Why not finish touring this album, then take some time off, THEN release another album and repeat the process?

So while I was slightly excited at the prospect of new music earlier in the day, I'm returning to my stance that new music isn't anywhere close to being released.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

take some time off

The LAST thing this band(any incarnation of it) needs to do is take time off, for what should be obvious reasons.

Just strike while the iron is still lukewarm. Years ago he talked about his vision of album/tour/album/tour/album. While in the midst of this cycle maybe he should consider following through on that instead of it looking like pie in the sky bullshit which is exactly what it was at the time. The guy's approaching fifty. Swing for the fences while it still matters.

I see nothing wrong with a release in the middle of a tour.

Saikin wrote:

If this is true, 2010 is going to be an incredible year for music.  Now let's hope the rumors about SG working on a new album in Seattle are true.  9

M.I.A. and Soundgarden have already cemented the fact 2010 is a great year for music. Axl releasing something would be a nice cherry on top of it though.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Gong wrote:

Anyone else think it would be wild if they dropped it right before Reading & Leeds?

cool

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
faldor wrote:

Excuse me while I try to bring us back on track.  I think the band is enjoying themselves quite a bit right now.  They're in the midst of a very successful run of tour dates, which is rolling on for the foreseeable future.  And while I'd LOVE to hear new music or get a new album, I just don't see that happening now.  There's really no need for them to drop a new album while they're already touring another album.  Why not finish touring this album, then take some time off, THEN release another album and repeat the process?

So while I was slightly excited at the prospect of new music earlier in the day, I'm returning to my stance that new music isn't anywhere close to being released.

I kinda agree with you, Faldor, that there really seems to be no need to drop a new album at this point.

But considering that Axl said he allways looked at it (ChiDem) as a double and the plan back in '02 to release multiple albums with tours in between, I don't view it as completely impossible.

Even cooler.... It would completely destroy some of the critisism against him/GNR. All the "he-used-a-decade-to-release-an-album-and-slash-is-not-even-there"-arguments would be completely irrelevent.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

I apologize in advance for partaking in this discussion or even bringing it back up because I absolutely loathe the setlist complaints.  BUT, I was thinking the other day, why certain songs weren't being played.  I mean I can totally understand them not playing TWAT or Riad because of how difficult those can be vocally for Axl.  And even though they played Scraped and Shackler's a fair amount, those can be difficult too so I could understand them shying away from those too.  Obviously CD, Better, SOD, and Maddy seem to be staples played at nearly every show.  Then you get one or a combination of Sorry, ITW, and TIL.  But I'm slightly surprised they don't play IRS, CITR, or Prostitute hardly at all.  I don't feel any of those songs are all that difficult for Axl to pull off live, so I wonder why they don't take a stab at them. 

I think the setlist complainers would soften a little if they played the 4 staples and then mixed in 2-3 others out of the IRS, CITR, Prostitute, Sorry, ITW, TIL mix.  Of course people would still complain about no TWAT or too much Maddy or the sun rises in the east. 

Anyhow, that would be my only real area of concern.

My point buzz, was WHAT do YOU consider "barely anything?"  While I questioned why they weren't playing certain songs, I never said they were barely playing any CD songs.  I wouldn't call playing 5-7 songs nightly, which is a third to half of the album, "barely anything".  Now you may, and if that's the case, then fine.  I assume you think they should be playing all the songs from the album at least in a rotational basis.  Those are lofty expectations, and they may have set themselves up for that by playing 13 of the songs at the Tokyo show.  But still, 5-7 new songs is a very solid and respectable number of songs for ANY band touring in support of a new album.

I consider 5-7 songs barely anything when the tour is supposedly in support of THAT album (for the fifth time or so).  They played as many or more songs BEFORE the album came out.  Raising the percentage of CD songs by playing less songs overall isn't the answer.

I agree that the current lineup is enjoying themselves (except for Axl).  I think the shorter shows is an indication that either Axl isn't enjoying himself anymore, or he's getting lazy.  Neither is a really good sign.  I had high hopes when this tour started so strong, but it has worked itself back to being the same old boring tour.  There is no point in touring the US with the same show he's tried to tour with 4 times already.  The interest is there overseas where everybody flocks to one show in their country or for a festival...they could tour the US tomorrow and it wouldn't fare any better than the last tour, and would likely do worse.

At this point, I think the only hope is to return to the studio with this lineup and strike while there is still minimal interest.  If he waits until there is no interest, it's over.  It might be over anyway, but doing nothing assures that.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I consider 5-7 songs barely anything when the tour is supposedly in support of THAT album (for the fifth time or so).  They played as many or more songs BEFORE the album came out.  Raising the percentage of CD songs by playing less songs overall isn't the answer.

I agree that the current lineup is enjoying themselves (except for Axl).  I think the shorter shows is an indication that either Axl isn't enjoying himself anymore, or he's getting lazy.  Neither is a really good sign.  I had high hopes when this tour started so strong, but it has worked itself back to being the same old boring tour.  There is no point in touring the US with the same show he's tried to tour with 4 times already.  The interest is there overseas where everybody flocks to one show in their country or for a festival...they could tour the US tomorrow and it wouldn't fare any better than the last tour, and would likely do worse.

At this point, I think the only hope is to return to the studio with this lineup and strike while there is still minimal interest.  If he waits until there is no interest, it's over.  It might be over anyway, but doing nothing assures that.

Your view on how much new material a band touring a new album should play is not in touch with reality, buzzsaw. Sorry! It's that simple! smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

take some time off

The LAST thing this band(any incarnation of it) needs to do is take time off, for what should be obvious reasons.

Just strike while the iron is still lukewarm. Years ago he talked about his vision of album/tour/album/tour/album. While in the midst of this cycle maybe he should consider following through on that instead of it looking like pie in the sky bullshit which is exactly what it was at the time. The guy's approaching fifty. Swing for the fences while it still matters.

I see nothing wrong with a release in the middle of a tour.

I agree and obviously don't think the band needs any time off.  BUT, I'm just going off of recent history.  Do you really believe Axl wants to tour and release album after album for the next 3-5 years?  I'd love it if that were true, but the routine has been tour for a year, 4 years off, repeat, for the last decade.  I know things seem to be different this time around, but I'm not sure they're THAT different.  I hope I'm wrong and Axl sticks to the "plan", but I'm not expecting it.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

not on topic but i will say that i agree with buzz even if sometimes his wording may be a bit harsh. sometimes the truth hurts though. we don't know for sure the truth behind the setlist length or choice of songs but i find it puzzling why the sets now contain anywhere between 14 and 18 singing songs. if you put a number on everything they play and are counting every solo and what-not you appear to have a healthy set but when axl is only singing 15 songs you have to wonder. some people say, well thats still long and what most people do. well to that i say, axl has been known and wanted to be known as a performer who played the long shows. no doubt imo that more cd songs should be played. i thought shacklers sounded great. scraped was good to. if prostitute and catcher were played more since asia they would naturally have improved. not sure what the deal is with the shorter sets and lack of more cd songs. if i attended a show and the set was like the ones we were seeing now, i would be disappointed. i've spent a lot of money on this band and have seen them many times so compared to what shows i've seen i would be disappointed. so, is he tired ? is he bored ? maybe.

Board footer