You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: RATT- Infestation

bigbri wrote:

Ratt was one of the originals. That's not hair metal. Stuff after maybe. Frankly, too many bands get lumped into the hair metal category, like Tesla or Def Leppard or Motley Crue or Whitesnake.

Yes, Poison is hair metal, Warrant, White Lion, Tuff, Pretty Boy Floyd, Britney Fox, Steelheart.

Hell, I wouldn't even label Dokken or Skid Row hair metal, although I could see why you would.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

GN'R is one of the few from that movement that I don't consider hair metal. There's nothing wrong with hair metal though. It's a guilty pleasure of mine at times. But I think you can distinguish a GN'R from the likes of Ratt and Crue, neither of which would ever be compared to Aerosmith or AC/DC (two of the bands that GN'R is often compared to). The one thing about hair metal to me is the fact that a lot of the vocalists sound the same, the guitar work sounds very similar, and there simply isn't a truly unique sound for most of those bands. The one exception is the Scorpions. They were/are hair metal, but their singer was/is phenomenal.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

"Hair Metal" is a far overused term invented by those that know very little about the music of the era.  Poison, Winger, Firehouse (etc etc) are NOT in the same ranks as vintage Crue, Ratt, Tesla and some other GOOD bands.  Pearcy sounds like NOONE else.

I enjoyed much music from this era and I despised much music from this era but labeling every rock act from the 80's as "hair metal" is a joke.

Ratt was one of the bands I liked from the 80's so I DID want to like this new album entitled "Infestation".  Unfortunately, unlike Axlin08, I CANNOT give it a good rating.

The songs are forced, poorly written and have no "punch" whatsoever.  The only exception would be the fairly good track "Take Me Home".

"Eat Me Up Alive" and "Best of Me" come close at times to recapturing yesteryear Ratt but ultimately end up sounding like a bunch of older guys trying to sound like youths again...it doesn't work.

The guitar work is solid and the vocals are there but the fun, youthful punch of Ratt is long gone if this album is any indication.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

In some ways I didn't actually give it a good rating. I said as an album, it works, and it does. The majority of the album is worth a listen, kind of like Detonator, which also catches alot of shit. But really the only "album" Ratt has is Out of the Cellar. They've been a singles band since Invasion of Your Privacy.

Some of the album does indeed sound forced or recycled. Especially everything after Look Out Below, short of the last two trx on the album.

But Best of Me... I thought that was a fanfuckingtastic song. Loved every moment. 9

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter
RATT: 'Eat Me Up Alive' Video Released - Nov. 17, 2010
RATT's brand new video for the song "Eat Me Up Alive" can be viewed below. The clip features "killer performance footage" from the veteran California rockers' summer 2010 tour with the SCORPIONS.

"Eat Me Up Alive" comes off "Infestation", the first studio record in 11 years from RATT, which sold around 14,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 30 on the Billboard 200 chart. The CD was released on April 20 via Loud & Proud.

"Infestation" was produced by Michael "Elvis" Baskette (CHEVELLE, ALTER BRIDGE) at his Virginia studio, marking the first time the band has recorded outside of Los Angeles. The album is full of attitude and of reflection, cycling through a range of emotions. There are party anthems that RATT are known for alongside more contemplative, thoughtful tunes.

RATT vocalist Stephen Pearcy revealed in a recent interview that the band is currently on a break while he and the other members of the group pursue other projects. "We finished a great show in Japan — this huge gig [at the Loud Park festival] with HALFORD and HELLYEAH and a bunch of other bands — and that was great," he said. "So I think we're gonna be on a hiatus for awhile and everybody'll do their own thing and we'll take it from there."
(Click the link up top to watch the video)
ratt2010.jpg

Board footer