You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: GnREvolution Movie Madness II - Discussion and Results Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I would've been completely happy had Godfather Part II won. Personally I think TDK is better, but GF2 was greatly worthy also.

Now Empire Strikes Back winning, would've made me punch the computer. I love Star Wars, but I just think there's better stuff out there.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Godfather II deserved to win this thing, no offense to our Batman fan club here.

Completely agree.  Still don't get the love for TDK.  It wasn't even the best film of the year, never mind the decade or all time.  Still think it was WAY overrated and was the lesser of the 4 films in the finals, and I enjoyed the movie.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i seriously thought that empire had it in the bag

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Godfather II deserved to win this thing, no offense to our Batman fan club here.

Completely agree.  Still don't get the love for TDK.  It wasn't even the best film of the year, never mind the decade or all time.  Still think it was WAY overrated and was the lesser of the 4 films in the finals, and I enjoyed the movie.

I'd like to see TDK.

Would you rate it higher than Batman Begins? That was the best Batman film I've seen.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Oh yeah, I'd say it's worlds better than "Batman Begins".  Then again, I didn't like that movie one bit, so that doesn't really say much.  It is a good movie, I just don't think it had any business winning this tourney.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think Begins is a tighter story, and has better editing and probably a better performance out of Bale (and/or Freeman and Caine). But TDK is more entertaining, more dramatic, more thrilling, and of course having the Joker means that everything is kicked up a notch. Somebody who is really into film might say Begins is technically superior, but TDK wins in the layman's eyes.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

TDK is like any great sequel, following a great film. It's Batman's "Empire Strikes Back", or "Terminator 2" or "Aliens" or "Dawn of the Dead" or "Godfather Part II or "Back To The Future Part II", etc.

They took what was great, and they shot a bunch of steroids into it. That's TDK.

Begins is a great film, but I think Begins might be a tad overrated by the Batman fanbase. I personally think both Batman 89 & Returns are better than Begins.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

What I think a lot of people really love about Begins, and it's true for me at least, is that it's really about Bruce. The Burton Batman movies seemed to be about the villains, and considering how campy Schumacher and the 60s TV show were, Nolan is really the first director to make a serious movie about Bruce. Growing up, I didn't like Batman because I didn't like Bruce Wayne - he was so blah to me. Nolan was able to show how deep of a character he is, maybe for the first time in film. I know we have a ton of fans of the 90s animated series, but even in that Bruce Wayne was a successful, well-liked, suave, professional, mature man. Seeing the younger, immature Bruce was what made Begins the best Batman movie up to that point imo.

Then again, I just don't typically like Burton movies and hated Jack Nicholson's performance. But that's just me.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hmm, never heard that argument before. Very interesting. Begins = the first real Bruce movie. Conceptually, originally Schumacher wanted Forever to finally be the film to be all about Bruce. Bits were wrote, scenes were shot, ended up scrapped and scaled down in the end, with just Bruce talking about his childhood briefly with Dr. Chase Meridian. But originally they wanted Forever to be the origin story, at least through flashback.

Begins finally got it together.

As for the animated series, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is the Bruce origin story. Doesn't really go through his childhood in detail, but Phantasm does explain how he became Batman in the TAS-universe, the pain and torment over his murder, and really Phantasm is the first film that made you care for Bruce Wayne, even over episodes of the actual Animated Series. Bruce finally became vunerable, through all of that playboy cover with the ultimate end game being that Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is his soul. They also threw in a nice little romance story that I won't spoil for those who haven't seen it.

Mask of the Phantasm really tackled it first, even before Forever. But if you like Bruce being reckless, young and stupid... Begins was the first to do that.

I personally always liked Burton's vision of Bruce Wayne the most. Obviously Bruce is the cover and is completely uncomfortable with his life. Even in Returns, he almost sits around waiting for the Bat Signal because it's his only life. I also liked the suicidal aspect of Bruce in the Burton world, where he was basically just as psychotic, dark and fucked up as the villians he was chasing. Always dug that.

Board footer