You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Oslo, Norway - June 2, 2010 (Oslo Spektrum)

James wrote:

Great review.

I understand your disappointment about the lack of CD, but you gotta lower your expectations. Its a nostalgia band throwing in some "new" songs. Hardcore fans need to seriously adjust expectations.

The ship has sailed on CD(or newer album) dominated sets. The best to hope for is a U2 type setlist where they just sprinkle new songs in between a ton of classics.

There just aren't enough fans walking into these arenas interested in anything post 93. When you live in the past long enough, fans(especially casual fans) get used to it and change their outlook.

People want to hear Jungle, PC, NR,etc., not Better, Shackler's Revenge,etc. If Axl ever had any intentions of moving forward, CD should have been the dominating factor starting in 2001 and the new material beat over the head of fans to get them used to it.. It wasn't and people just want the classics.

That's the reality of Guns N Roses in the 21st century.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Yup ^^ Sad but true.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Great review.

I understand your disappointment about the lack of CD, but you gotta lower your expectations. Its a nostalgia band throwing in some "new" songs. Hardcore fans need to seriously adjust expectations.

The ship has sailed on CD(or newer album) dominated sets. The best to hope for is a U2 type setlist where they just sprinkle new songs in between a ton of classics.

There just aren't enough fans walking into these arenas interested in anything post 93. When you live in the past long enough, fans(especially casual fans) get used to it and change their outlook.

People want to hear Jungle, PC, NR,etc., not Better, Shackler's Revenge,etc. If Axl ever had any intentions of moving forward, CD should have been the dominating factor starting in 2001 and the new material beat over the head of fans to get them used to it.. It wasn't and people just want the classics.

argghhhhh....and we have to look forward to a full European tour of the same shit later this year. Tommy and Axl can only hold my attention for so long. Chinese is done...cooked...and buried. Throw a fresh tune out and at least try to spark some real interest.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Well think about it, they've been doing this tour for nearly a decade at this point. I first saw them in...01 in Vegas if memory serves. Then they toured America a little bit after that with essentially the same songs. I can't think of any band who has done this.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Great review.

Well said.  I think where DCK is coming from though, and I'd have to agree.  6 songs from CD is fine, although I'd prefer 8.  But I just wish they would alternate what 6 CD songs they play, which they WERE doing earlier on.  These 2 shows were exactly the same, and the end of the South America tour started to get pretty static.  So I'm not expecting a Tokyo setlist every night, and I honestly don't mind if they play CD, Maddy, Better, and Street of Dreams OVER and OVER and OVER.  But if they could switch up the other 2, there'd be less to argue about, at least for me.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Well think about it, they've been doing this tour for nearly a decade at this point. I first saw them in...01 in Vegas if memory serves. Then they toured America a little bit after that with essentially the same songs. I can't think of any band who has done this.

I think it's pretty safe to say that no band has ever done what GNR has done the last 17 years.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If Axl's gonna just tour playing the hits - why not get the real band back? Just a thought...

As for Jarmo and the setlists, those morons (with all due respect), Axl too like in 2006, spout off about the setlist complaints, and say "we do shows for the audience"

Problem with that theory, is almost all of the complainers have been ticket buying, hardcore fans. So that dog don't hunt, and never fucking did.

It's a cop out, and Jarmo's an Beta Bot.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah as the band starts retouring areas that they already performed at during the last couple of Chinese Democracy world tours the set list will start to become somewhat of an issue for them.

If you are going to see bascially the same show that you saw previously then for some people that won't cut it and they wont bother seeing them for a second (in some cases third) time around with the same show.  I'll use myself as an example, last time I saw them in my state then flew to another state to catch 2 more shows.  I certainly won't be doing that this time if they come again, in fact even if they didn't add my city I wouldn't make the effort to go to another state for just one concert (been there done that).

If Axl's gonna just tour playing the hits - why not get the real band back? Just a thought...

I never thought of it that way, but it's actually a fair question...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I see someone posted your review DCK in the concert thread over at HTGTH, wonder how long it will last:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/boar '¦ c=59954.80

I'm surprised it was still up when I checked. I was quite negative on some points, but I also gave them cheers where it was due.

Sorry was superb, so was Maddy and TIL.

It's not that I don't know what I get when I see the show. I've followed the set list through this year and 2009, and it's not like they *can't* play other songs. I always expected all the old hits, they are the crowd pleasers. I am just very surprised and disappointed that they still do a song like SOD (and even Maddy) when they have a new album out. What's the deal with that? They finally released the album, but still rely on the songs they've done from CD since 2001? There's plenty to choose from now, and with this enourmous amount of ballads in the set (with Sorry, TIL and SOD), why not take one of them out and throw in a good rocker so the momentum is kept?

Funny you should say. I spoke to this guy I know. He was never a big GNR fan and never a new GNR fan. He actually thought the new songs sounded the best. And they did.

People want to hear Jungle, PC, NR,etc., not Better, Shackler's Revenge,etc.

Plenty of time to replace Street of Dreams with another song, and mix up the new songs played. They play for over two hours. With only TIL and Sorry as a regular *new* song in the set, that's a bit too little I'd say.

I know it comes down to Axl's voice though, but I'm just saying. I thought SOD, Maddy or even Chinese would disappear off the setlist once the album was out.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Here's a few crappy cell phone pictures

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 … 950bc98897

Board footer