You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Top 10 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

AtariLegend wrote:

Top 10 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

#10 - FREAKS [1932]

482080477_59e26914fd.jpg

"But for an accident of birth, you might be as they are." Director Tod Browning delves into the depraved world of sideshow circus freaks to reveal that they have more humanity than the average asshole walking the streets. Favorite freak: Prince Randian, "the living torso" (pictured above). Runner-up: Johnny Eck, "the half-boy." Freaks was based on the short story "Spurs" by Tod Robbins. Believe it or not, this masterpiece only runs for a total of 64 minutes! Also released as Forbidden Love, The Monster Show and Nature's Mistakes. Sample Dialogue: "We accept you, one of us! Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!"

#09 - I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE [1978]

1881431654_b15f236b60_o.jpg

I always thought Halloween or Friday the 13th started the trend of "slasher films" that polluted the box office throughout the late '70s and '80s'”that is until I watched this extremely low-budget flick about a writer who travels to a cabin in the woods, gets brutally raped by a bunch of hillbillies and then exacts her revenge using a series of rather creative methods'”including hanging and castration. Also known as Day of the Woman. Sample Dialogue: "You know, sometimes I look at these gorgeous-looking chicks, I mean the ones that look like real knockouts, sexy and all . . . and I wonder . . . I wonder if they gotta take a shit, too."

#08 - EL TOPO [1970]

1880636835_503d09eeda.jpg

Alejandro Jodorowsky's totally bizarre, surrealistic masterpiece follows a gunfighter, El Topo (The Mole), as he makes his way through the desert and encounters one absurd situation after another in his search of enlightenment. One of the only films I'm aware of that has an armless, legless dwarf in the cast. Apparently, El Topo was one of John Lennon's favorite films. David Lynch was also a big fan (see Eraserhead entry below). Jodorowsky once claimed, "I ask of cinema what most North Americans ask of psychedelic drugs." Sample Dialogue: "Too much perfection is a mistake."

#07 - AUDITION [1999]

1881497154_f84370da03_o.jpg

The friend of a lonely widower sets up a phony audition for a nonexistent film so the poor guy can find a new wife. He gets more than he bargained for - to say the least! Directed by Japanese filmmaker Takashi Miike, the film starts out as a traditional romantic drama but gradually devolves into a disturbingly graphic horror flick - definitely not for all tastes! Sample Dialogue: "Words create lies. Pain can be trusted."

#06 - A CLOCKWORK ORANGE [1971]

1881516834_1cac371e10_o.jpg

Alex (Malcolm McDowell) and his "droogs" go out on the town to partake in a little of the old "ultra-violence." Director Stanley Kubrick brings Anthony Burgess' classic novel to life with this disturbing look at a future populated by teenage gangs. Look for McDowell's stirring rendition of "Singin' in the Rain." Here's what Kubrick said to counter the negative reaction voiced against the film's violence: "Sanitized violence in movies has been accepted for years. What seems to upset everybody now is the showing of the consequences of violence." Sample Dialogue: "What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolence."

#05 - THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT [1972]

1881561952_bbfebdb331.jpg

The Last House on the Left would make a great double feature with I Spit on Your Grave for the truly depraved movie fan of the over-the-top, sadistic, revenge-fantasy flick. Believe it or not, the film was reportedly inspired by Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring, which won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1961! The Last House on the Left was directed by Wes Craven, who would go on to direct The Hills Have Eyes and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Sample Dialogue: "We don't wanna off someone first night out. I mean, it'd be a shame to get this floor all messed up with blood."

#04 - HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER [1986]

1881593386_10f280797d_o.jpg

Based loosely on the life of convicted murderer Henry Lee Lucas, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer follows roaming serial killer, Henry, and his demented buddy Otis, as they go on a random killing spree. Not a good movie to rent on a first date! Sample Dialogue: "If you shoot someone in the head with a .45 every time you kill somebody, it becomes like your fingerprint, see? But if you strangle one, stab another, and one you cut up and one you don't, then the police don't know what to do."

#03 - SALO OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM [1975]

1881629116_b2bc9c56fc_o.jpg

Based on the infamous book, The 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis de Sade, Salo contains its fair share of disturbing imagery and graphic violence, including rape, torture and murder. For this reason, it is still banned in some countries even to this day - good luck finding a copy! Director Pier Paolo Pasolini was brutally murdered shortly after the film's release. Sample Dialogue: "We fascists are the only true anarchists."

#02 - IRREVERSIBLE [2002]

1881667458_ceb2d4d897_o.jpg

"Time destroys everything . . ." Extremely disturbing French film directed by Gaspar Noé, Irreversible features a revenge plot told in reverse chronological order (similar to Memento) - punctuated by extreme violence and a brutally graphic rape scene that runs approximately nine minutes. Sample Dialogue: "Vengeance is a human right."

#01 - ERASERHEAD [1977]

202419609_9e8052ff3a_o.jpg

It took David Lynch, a former art student, five years to make Eraserhead, a curious blend of Kafkesque horror and Orwellian nightmare. Jack Nance portrays total loser Henry Spencer (a couple of years ago, I read that Nance was murdered during a fight at a donut shop). After viewing this film, you'll know who served as the inspiration for fight promoter Don King's unique hairstyle. Lynch once revealed in an interview that he had a chocolate shake at Bob's Big Boy at 2:30 PM every day for seven years: "Two-thirty is Bob's time . . . I can think there and draw on napkins and have my shake. Sometimes I have a cup of coffee and sometimes I have a small Coke. They both go great with shakes." Sample Dialogue: "In Heaven, everything is fine. In Heaven, everything is fine. You've got your good things. And I've got mine."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://www.alternativereel.com/includes … p?id=00043

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've seen freaks and clockwork orange off that list...i wouldnt call clockwork orange all that disturbing but whatever

what about Naked Lunch? thats a pretty fucked up movie has anyone seen that?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I gotta move I Spit on Your Grave up on my netflix queue. Been wanting to watch that for a long time.

Last House on the Left could've been released by Disney. Very tame film and highly overrated. Its supposed shock content isn't shocking. A remake is being made, and I actually think it could be improved.

Been wanting to watch Salo for ages but cant find it.

I need to watch Eraserhead. I think I watched that as a kid but I don't remember the details.

Irreversible is pretty damn good. Not the best on this list but not the worst either.

Audition should be much higher on this list.

Henry doesn't deserve a spot on this list.

Haven't seen a Clockwork Orange since I was a kid. Should watch it again.

I've never heard of El Topo. I'll check Netflix.

Freaks is an absolute masterpiece.

While tame by today's standards, I think Psycho deserved a spot on this list. It was shocking when it was released, and people ran out of theaters screaming. I would call that "disturbing".

Funny Games deserved the spot on this list that Last House received.

Visitor Q might have deserved a spot, but I think its a bit too over the top to be truly considered for such a list.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Never heard of Naked Lunch. Checking Netflix now.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Never heard of Naked Lunch. Checking Netflix now.

the main actor is peter wellers 16 from robocop

anyway here is a plot outline

William Lee (Burroughs's pseudonym for his first novel, Junky) is an exterminator who finds that his wife is stealing his insecticide for recreational purposes. When Lee is arrested by the police, he believes himself hallucinating because of bug powder exposure. Lee believes himself a secret agent, and Lee's controller (a giant bug) assigns him the mission of killing his wife, Joan Lee, who is, according to the bug, an agent of an organization called Interzone Incorporated. Dismissing the bug and its instructions, Lee returns home to find his wife sleeping with Hank, one of his writer friends. He soon shoots her while performing a William Tell routine.

Having "accomplished" his "mission", Lee flees to Interzone, where the Interzone Incorporated organization is based, and spends his time writing reports on his mission, which become the book Naked Lunch. While in Interzone, the typewriters Lee uses are themselves living creatures, usually giving Lee advice on his mission. Clark Nova, one of Lee's typewriters, tells him to find Doctor Benway, by means of seducing Joan Frost who is a doppelgänger of his dead wife, Joan Lee.

After finding out that Doctor Benway is the head of a drug manufacturing ring, producing "the black meat", Lee completes his report and flees Interzone to Annexia with Joan Frost. Upon meeting the Annexian border patrol, to prove that he is a writer as he claims, he shoots Joan Frost in the head, in the same manner that he shot his late wife, Joan Lee. After seeing this, the border patrol welcomes Lee to Annexia.

7wqfsb4.jpg

like i said its pretty fucked up, prolly the most fucked up movie i've ever seen 16

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Planet Terror is pretty fucking disturbing. 

Not scary wise but some of the imagery is really nasty.  The unrated one anyways.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

Planet Terror is pretty fucking disturbing. 

Not scary wise but some of the imagery is really nasty.  The unrated one anyways.

haha yeah...that Tarrantino scene was uncalled for :sick:

another disturbing movie is the Gate of Hell...its a Horror B-Movie from the 80's...its really fucking sick

grossest movie i've ever seen

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Having seen all the films on that list, it's just wrong, wrong, wrong. Salo should be tops for its notoriety alone. Still, that it remains tamer than its source material is saying something. Eraserhead is a great movie and I'm a fan of Lynch, but while it's at times unnerving I would never consider it actually disturbing. It's got a real black comedy element to it. Clockwork Orange is a beautiful work of art, like a fine painting, and I love it. It doesn't disturb me, but it's content is notorious and heavy-handed. Last House on the Left gets a bum wrap. It has a legend about it that takes away from the simple enjoyment of watching an amateur, exploitation flick. I've always found it amusing and entertaining, but yes I will concede, not disturbing. I'll continue this in a bit, I have to run....

Board footer