You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Slash eyed Rose for solo album

Bono wrote:

Oh for fuck sakes I honestly wonder how some people get through day to day life while lacking so much common sense. I simply made a comment in the most recently discussed topic that nobody had posted anything in two full days in the main section. Good news, bad news, shit storm, silence it doesn´t matter two full days without a post in the main section is a long time and it was odd to see. That was my point oh brilliant one. You make me fucking laugh.  Try comprehending what´s being said rather than simply thinking people are complaining. Unbelievable that you think I was complaining and it´s even more unbeliveable that you obviously lack the common sense to know why less posts are made when things are going good. How many posts do you think a U2 site gets after each successful, incident free show as compared to when they had to cancell their entire North American tour last summer? Yeah that´s right Naltav..... maybe it´s you who needs to think shit through. Thanks for coming out though.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, i'm starting to see it that way too. Axl is in no way Trent Reznor. He's either too lazy, too burnt, or too creatively exhausted, or a combo to continue to go on.

I know i'll get flamed for this, but I really think he knows, and doesn't want to admit, that guys like Izzy, Slash & Duff really fed him like a gas pump to a 4x4 pickup truck. He needs those guys and doesn't want to cop to it.

Although he enjoys playing the hits, and performing seems to have fun, creatively he's seemed bored since 1991.

CD, despite ending up a good album, is the clusterfuck of all rock albums. When you listen to it, it almost comes across as a man who doesn't want to work or can't phoning it in, because he got a bug up his ass in 1999 or a pile of bills, and decided to take another run at it. Obviously with the album's release in 2008, he regretted committing to it.

It saddens me, but I wonder if Axl blew his creative load on UYI and that's it. CD is almost like a collection of fragments of good ideas that other contract players whipped up into songs.

I always thought Axl was the best of his generation, but in alot of ways he was a one trick pony. He's like rock's Mark Prior. Prior was touted as the next great pitcher in baseball history. He was the power of Roger Clemens but with the finese of Greg Maddux. He was gonna be a legend. He finally makes it to the majors, has one real bonafide significant season in 2003 with the Cubs nearly making it to the World Series, and bam... the dude fades away, and within a few years was out of baseball completely. He's now a back-end rotation guy on a Double-A ball team in the sticks in the Rangers organization.

Why did I bore everyone with a baseball metaphor? Because Axl Rose is Mark Prior. And it bugs the hell out of me. Axl should've gotten to be Mick or Steven, like it was supposed to be.

Yeah, but Mark Prior's career was derailed by injuries. It's not like he just some one year phenom that burnt out, wink

I honestly think the issue is that Axl is such a perfectionist and an insecure person that he just isn't satisfied with anything he does. I think the burden of having to follow AFD and Illusions just magnifies it.

To me Axl is just like Lee Mavers of the La's, except Mavers was never able to get it together even for a brief moment unlike Axl.

For those that don't know the story the La's signed their first record deal around 86 or 87. The recording of their debut album was a painstaking process due to the constant lineup changes, revolving door of producers, and the constant need to re-record everything (sound familiar?). The problem was with Mavers who was never satisfied with the sound. Eventually the record company grew fed up and scrapped the sessions. The final producer they worked with ended up piecing together an album from his sessions with the band and it was released in 1990. The album well received by critics, but Mavers himself hated it and wanted nothing to do with it.

Since then the La's have done squat except for a handful of tours playing the same old stuff. Mavers has earned a reputation for being an eccentric recluse and a perfectionist. It has been said he is working on their second album, but no one knows if or when it will ever see the light of day.

IMO musicians like Mavers and Axl are just perfectionists who are never satisfied with what they do. They create these impossible standards for themselves and it cripples them.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

If Axl thinks CD was perfect enough to get released, then the guy does not have an ounce of perfectionism at all.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's kind of the point tho Mikka. It happens to all perfectionists. I've been there myself, but at least I recognized it. You sit there over doing it and over doing it, and nit picking every single aspect that by the time it comes to shit or get off the pot, there's so much work left to do that you just give up and release it as is. CD as is, is as good as it was going to get. I think the overhype made it impossible for the album to live up to.

It happens every single time. It's okay to be a perfectionist, but there's a very small window where it all goes downhill. Like the sweet spot on a baseball bat. You have to know that exact moment to know when to swing to hit a home run. Too early you foul off, too late you swing and miss. Axl was the latter.

That's what alot of the fans who say "he should've dropped this thing in 2001 or 2002" are dead fucking on. Not saying CD wouldn't have been a success, but the clusterfuck era would've been entirely avoided, the album wouldn't have had near the expectations to live up to, and if it bombed, Axl could've still salvaged, had some options left with the new era, and on album three by now and people would be saying "Chinese wha?? Oh, THAT album, it's okay, but Russian Communism is MUCH better" or whatever the next title would be.

Either way, Axl waited so long to crap that everyone was gonna be pissed when he came out of the bathroom regardless.

I think that's the point of perfectionism... there's no such thing as a perfectionist. 'Cause perfect doesn't exist. Even Appetite has Anything Goes.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

True. I didn't mean the quality of the songs, that's debatable, although I don't find too much interesting there at all, except TWAT and a few good ideas here and there.
Anyway, my point was that a perfectionist wouldn't release such a badly produced album, with cuts and pastes from different universes. You just don't. Not to mention the awful booklet, but that's really secondary. The album production is one of the worsts I've ever heard. My brother's band's doing better in their own, cheap home studio.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

That's what alot of the fans who say "he should've dropped this thing in 2001 or 2002" are dead fucking on. Not saying CD wouldn't have been a success, but the clusterfuck era would've been entirely avoided, the album wouldn't have had near the expectations to live up to, and if it bombed, Axl could've still salvaged, had some options left with the new era, and on album three by now and people would be saying "Chinese wha?? Oh, THAT album, it's okay, but Russian Communism is MUCH better" or whatever the next title would be.

I actually think/hope that could still happen.

I'm not saying the whole world will go fucking nuts over a new GNR-album. Because regardless if we want to admit it or not, the average Joe don't sit around and listen to full albums start to finnish anymore. For some years now and for years to come, it's all about seperate songs downloaded from iTunes, ringtones, link to a video on youtube shared on Facebook or playlists streamed from Spotify or similar serviceses. Or even their own app on an iPad/iPod/iPhone. (As a Mac-head, I would love that!) smile

My point is, that if GNR continue touring like they've done for almost a year now, and maybe release a new album, and get a song on some popular TV-show or something. That could potentially give us a scenario where the average Joe would get back into GNR. Sell/stream more songs or albums on various digital outlets. Which again will make more people come to the shows and bring GNR up towards previous hights. It's a package or a brand that are for sale, NOT an album!
Then you'd have a scenario where people will go: "Chinese wha?? Oh, THAT album, it's okay, but Russian Communism is MUCH better"
And then all the arguments against the band on how long it took to release two albums or the cut and past from all those years fucked up the overall experience of the album will mean jack shit! 

Or.... it could very well be that Axl is an oldschool dude that is actually just happy with trying to push an album format every 5-10 years and tour any corner of the world that will have him untill he is too old to do it anymore. And that's all we get!

All we can do either way is support them or not! (Or as some wierd "fans" do, actively try to discredit them and talk shit about them!)
roll

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Some people really think this isn't going down the same path as VR?  Axl had his chance.  He blew it.  There will be no successful album that doesn't include several original members regardless of how good the album might be.  Nobody is going to give it a chance.  It could be the greatest album of all time, but if you think people didn't give CD a chance, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Nothing that happens going forward is ever going to erase what has happened.  "Oldschool dudes" didn't put out albums every 10 plus years - washed up dudes trying to hang on to their former glory did.  Nobody has to discredit them - they (mostly Axl) do all of the discrediting themselves.  The fans just observe and take note of it.  All fans do is talk about what happened, and what could have been. 

Good for you for being all optimistic, but there's no point in getting offended that so many others don't see it that way.  I think the bigger problem for you is that while a lot of them bailed and don't bother with the band anymore, some still stick around not liking what they are seeing, but hoping against logic for something better.  To you, that makes somebody not a fan; to me, that makes somebody a huge fan.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Some people really think this isn't going down the same path as VR?  Axl had his chance.  He blew it.  There will be no successful album that doesn't include several original members regardless of how good the album might be.  Nobody is going to give it a chance.  It could be the greatest album of all time, but if you think people didn't give CD a chance, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Nothing that happens going forward is ever going to erase what has happened.  "Oldschool dudes" didn't put out albums every 10 plus years - washed up dudes trying to hang on to their former glory did.  Nobody has to discredit them - they (mostly Axl) do all of the discrediting themselves.  The fans just observe and take note of it.  All fans do is talk about what happened, and what could have been. 

Good for you for being all optimistic, but there's no point in getting offended that so many others don't see it that way.  I think the bigger problem for you is that while a lot of them bailed and don't bother with the band anymore, some still stick around not liking what they are seeing, but hoping against logic for something better.  To you, that makes somebody not a fan; to me, that makes somebody a huge fan.

You could be right, Buzz. I just don't hope for it.

This whole thing could crash and burn any minute or after the tour or whatever...

They could release another album and the rest of the world could think it stinks to high heaven. But I'm very sure there would be some epic tunes in there for me to enjoy.

I'm a fan of the old band and I'm a huge Axl Rose fan. And I have grown to love the new lineup. As I did the previous new lineup (bucket, finck, brain). Saying that might add fuel to arguments from someone like you.
But hey! That's were I'm at! Heart and soul!

I hope for the best for them! If they are successfull with albums, songs or whetever they will release in the future! I'll be happy for them!

But I'm not ignorant to the fact that Axl could maybe flush it down the toilet any day. You seem to think that has allready happened. I don't.
But if it did happen, I would know I got to hear some killer music I got to see some killer shows! And for me, it lasted a long time. For some it was flushed down the toilet around 1996.

I just became a dad seven weeks ago for the first time, and I can't wait to introduce her to the world of music and all the joys that comes with it!

When it comes to GNR, as far I'm concerned, things are going great at the moment. The band is killing it all over Europe. The fans at the shows seem to be loving it! Hopefully, whatever it is that have prevented them from touring the US, will work it self out so that you Buzz and other fans in the US can finally see this killer lineup!

Or not...

Axl could blow it any minute! I just don't hope for it!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Congrats - I am sure you'll make a great dad.

I hope Axl can once again make great music that I enjoy. I'm right there with you on that, I just don't think it will ever happen unless some things change significantly and there's no reason to expect that.

Board footer