You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

RussTCB wrote:

removed

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think Axl won at all, but I do think Axl thinks he won. The reality (to me at least) is that they all lost and nobody won except for Axl's leeches.

amen to that!

edit:
i mean, who seriously wants to see richard fortus and frank ferrer play jungle and don`t cry??  i saw the new line up two times in 2006 and the rock am ring gig was definitely one of the best concerts of my life, the holland one not being quite as good... chinese democracy is a good album and the new guys are cool ( even though i still prefer the bucket line up), but now it`s come to a point of a pure coverband. even the new songs are covers for some of them. i`ve come to love the new gnr for what they were, or what i thought they could become: an entirely new band with a new approach and a new music style. i thought the music was great and definitely something fresh. i was one of the few people who thought axl`s new style was cool (except for north america 2002 perhaps). 
now however, i just get the impression they try to copy 1993, which obviously won`t succeed as long as the real guys aren`t there. to me this trend started in 2006, when axl got back to a more rockn`roll style. then i saw them with izzy in holland and it was more than clear, who the audience wanted to see on stage with axl and him...  me being one of them. then in 2009/2010 axl gets his straight hear and the bandanas back, a slash impersonator joins on guitar, axl wears his use your illusion outfits again and.... DUFF joins them on stage!!  words can`t describe how fucked up and insane this mess of a band has become by now...      did anyone care to check out htgth in the last days?  duff joining gnr isn`t even on the news 17    in addition to that, jarmo  and some other 12 year old idiots tell people who think about a reunion to "go fuck themselves"    anyway....  i could go on about this forever, i guess you get my point now 16

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Seeing those clips of Duff with GNR again was cool!

Just goes to show that much of the behind-the-scenes drama is less complicated than one would imagine.

Sure, there's been some lawsuits flying back and forth. But I would think that most of those involved are adult enough to see that for what it is, purely buisness!

When Izzy joined GNR for some shows in 2006, I thought: "Well, this just ad fuels to Axl's motivation to 'soldier on' with his current lineup and vision."
Now, having yet another original member giving his "blessing", I guess only ads more fuel to that motivation.

If that means, like Buzzsaw said, that "...Axl thinks he won...". I say COOL!!

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl didn't win artistically but he sure as hell won financially. His global touring dollars over the last decade blow away VR and all former members touring and record sale money.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

pure class.....

tommy_stinson

i can hardly put into words how awesome it was for me to have duff come up last night. been a long time comin. what a fun ass show. thanks     

9:18 PM Oct 15th  via TweetDeck

Would love to see those two do a guest spot on either a Tommy or Duff solo album. Probably never happen but there's mutual respect there so anything is possible.

Much more likely than my pipe dream of Tommy burying the hatchet with Bucket and doing a song or two with him. I think there's some untapped chemistry there that needs tapping. 16

Also agree that Duff should have been out there for It's So Easy.

As far as the overall topic, I don't think reunion dreams should go overboard. It is one minor step closer, but fans should just savor the cool moment and not dig too deep into it. Just seeing Axl and Duff on the same stage is cool and I do agree with DCK that Duff seemed a bit awkward but really its only natural. He's not been onstage with Axl since 93. The awkwardness probably had nothing to do with the other guys and was more like a surreal moment.

Axl had the last laugh. He won.

14 That is most definitely open to debate. I do not like VR except for a few songs(Slither, FTP, Messages, Psycho Killer) but VR were definitely more successful than new GNR and please spare me CD album sales from Timbuktu and Sri Lanka. 16

Watched the Duff vids while hanging out over at my uncle's last night, and his comment about it made me wonder if its a typical opinion of a casual fan witnessing this....

"If he's still doing that(meaning YCBM and the other tracks), why not just bring the rest of the guys back?"

Not trying to start up a big reunion argument, just posting his initial reaction while watching the vids.

Come on Axl, you've finally gotten back to a 1993 point with the people involved in the band. Don't waste it. Cut new albums, invite all the fuckin' members who wanna be there. Make this whole thing a real experience. This is the best shot you've had since the old days.

I don't think he'll ever have a better shot than he did in 2001, but I do agree that its now or never if he wants to step up to the plate and start to actually utilize his talents. His revolving door can include current members, old members, and new members/guest appearances. Kick some ass in the studio with whatever talent he decides to use and if/when touring, just use the same group of guys he has now or some new ones.

Tommy and Bucket are from two totally different planets.:peace:

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

....they all lost and nobody won except for Axl's leeches.

DING DING DING....give the man a prize.

"Just because you're winning don't mean you're the lucky ones"

Yeh...what they said!

I wouldnt care to see tommy & bucket.

I will hope for a new current GnR record with a lil help from Izzy & Duff ..and in my pipe dream we get a fun HOF show

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Despite what everyone thinks, after 17 years, 19 if you count Izzy, Axl had the last laugh. He won. Guns N' Roses will exist and be profitable with or without Slash & Duff.

Didn't Slash just do the same this past year?  And he doesn't even sing.

Not that I recall. I'm not sure what his solo album did, but his tour numbers both with just himself and VR are not even comparable to new GNR's.

James Lofton wrote:

That is most definitely open to debate. I do not like VR except for a few songs(Slither, FTP, Messages, Psycho Killer) but VR were definitely more successful than new GNR and please spare me CD album sales from Timbuktu and Sri Lanka.

Watched the Duff vids while hanging out over at my uncle's last night, and his comment about it made me wonder if its a typical opinion of a casual fan witnessing this....

"If he's still doing that(meaning YCBM and the other tracks), why not just bring the rest of the guys back?"

Not trying to start up a big reunion argument, just posting his initial reaction while watching the vids.

It's definitely up to debate, but considering the fact that artists always make more money off of shows (barring expensive-extravagent shows), and that new GNR's tour numbers crush VR, Loaded, Slash & Izzy solo shows combined with relative ease, AND the fact Slash hasn't been in the band since 1996, people have to admit Axl has a huge fuckin' fan base internationally that will come out and see him. The Guns N' Roses name brand helps, but it's not making the full point. People have known for years that all they're getting is Axl solo, and they still sell out stadiums.

Slash had a supergroup, basically Guns with Scott Weiland, and was unable to do that with consistency.

Even I am left in disbelief. I would've thought Axl's international numbers would've slid by this point, but they just haven't, and frankly if they haven't dropped now, they probably won't drop until he's old as shit and so is his fan base. People know they are getting a fake band, and a tribute show, and shockingly enough, they still go back for the three-peat in 2010.

On terms of album sales, yes VR takes GN'R down. Including international numbers, it only helps VR's case. A double plat & gold album, new GN'R only had the latter. I'll stretch it and give CD it's "platinum" status - VR still takes album sales.

So maybe it was a draw after all. But i'm referring more to what Axl's ego is telling his head.

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think Axl won at all, but I do think Axl thinks he won. The reality (to me at least) is that they all lost and nobody won except for Axl's leeches.

Yes, and you remain the man. Totally agree. That was kinda my point to begin with. Reality left July 17th, 1993. Everything else has been Axl's fractured ego & psyche in a combat to the fuckin' death.

In Axl's mind, Izzy worked him up in 2006, Duff in 2010 was the cum moment. Axl now feels he won, even if we all lost in the process.

I really hope it's the case. Maybe now Axl can let go of the past and move into the future with no ill feelings towards anyone, Slash, past girlfriends, record company, fans, media, etc. Maybe now he finally had his moment, his closure, and we can get down to business and that is GN'R kickin' some ass with all new albums and all new shows well into the future old and new members invited.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am not so sure VR outsold Chinese worldwide...and I imagine album sales outside the US have been pretty nice over the last year from all the touring.

As for touring, Axl has done way better outside the States than any of the side projects. However, those numbers would be off the charts with a full reunion. For example, they wouldn't be in an arena in London....they would be in Wembley stadium.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Sales aren't the only factor. Profit has 2 parts to it. VR spends tons less than gnr does.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Not trying to insult certain members on this forum, but a lot of u just don't "Get it"

What i said,for whatever reason, doesn't register.

It doesn't matter what hardcore internet fans think. To us, its a nice little one off gift. but Rolling Stone had that shit on their website probably before the concert was even over.  Other musical news outlets reported it and they all ask the same question "Does this mean a full fledged reunion?"

It undermines all the hard work and all the hurdles the new band have had to jump, and it undermines all the hard work Axl has put into getting people to accept this new band. Finally people aren't chanting "We want Slash" finally the new guys are getting credit for their skill but all this does is re-light that reunion match with napalm.

I'm sorry some can't understand the ramifications of that. in that aspect, having old members onstage is dumb. Exciting, I am all for it personally, but in the grand scheme of GNR, it's a terrible idea.

Board footer