You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

Axlin16 wrote:

Somehow I don't imagine a GN'R reunion becoming the watercooler talk of the world Mikka.

Only in the minds of the geeks. Sure it'd be big, but I think some of you overexaggerate it's potential effect.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Axlin08 wrote:

Somehow I don't imagine a GN'R reunion becoming the watercooler talk of the world Mikka.

Only in the minds of the geeks. Sure it'd be big, but I think some of you overexaggerate it's potential effect.

Spot on, in the same way CD didn't reinvent music as we know it and Prostitute wasn't the best selling single of all time a reunion wouldn't stop the traffic in the street like some may think.

It'd make the front cover of music mags, it may even make tv news but it's not going to be a world event.

I saw GNR last night, only 4 days after Duff played with them, and I didn't hear a single person mention it at all. In fact in 5 hours of being surrounded by GNR fans I don't think I heard Duffs name mentioned once. Perhaps that's pretty tragic in it's own right, but it's safe to say Duffs cameo last week didn't do too much damage to the band on stage in Manchester last night.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And honestly, I think it's been that way since the heyday. The only real figures most audiences know is Axl & Slash. The reason if it was Axl & Slash, backed by Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy & Chris, people would be screaming "REUNION!"

Even Izzy & Duff both complained during GNR's biggest zenith, that only Axl & Slash got the hoards of autograph seekers. For every 100 that would rush them, only 1 or 2 would go up to Izzy or Duff.

I think it's a sad shame, but if Axl were to walk out with Tommy and introduce him as "on the bass guitar, Mr. Duff McKagen", most would cheer and just assumed he dyed his hair.

The scary thing is THESE are the people you really need to target to sell albums and tix. 18

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

the crazy part is people in this thread trying to downplay this. My fucking God Duff played live on stage with Axl Rose and still people say it does´t mean much. It means a shit ton and if people can´t see the reunion coming they are so in denial.
If a week ago anyone told us Duff would be on stage replacing Tommy for one song people would laugh at the idea and say no way but now it happens and I´m reading people say it doesn´t mean that much? Fuck off hahaha!

I´m not saying a  reunion is coming tomorrow but gimme a break people the "near impossible" just happened.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its really cool that it happened but it doesnt mean much because it was a one off...and axl alluded that it may happen when he did the interview with Del James

Would you consider a reunion with the 'Appetite' or 'Illusions' lineups?

No.

Why not?

A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere, but there's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty. He wrote that whole bit about not having his guitar in Vegas, I'd assume, to save face. I was told by both the Hard Rock and different Guns industry people who had come out to be supportive of the new band and were a bit surprised to see him there, especially guitar in hand, but just assumed it was a surprise for the show and we were in on the arrangement.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

no shit Sherlock, thanks for business 101....beer sales, merchandise, etc...no WAY in holy hell VR and all the other side projects come close.

Beer sales don't go to the band. And no way in hell the side projects spend anywhere near what gnr does. Gnr probably outspends them in salary alone. You're still ignoring the equation and only looking at sales.

It is all in the deal they cut with the promoter and venue. The costs are astronomical.... I am sure. However, I still think the profit margins are alot larger due to the sheer volume being so much bigger. Those side musicians don't get near the cut that the Illusion band did. You can guarantee that. Axl gets the lion share night in and night out.

Like D said, don't underestimate the power of the brand name. Ask Roger Waters how important it is. He said the biggest mistake he ever made in the biz was not getting the Pink Floyd name. You can bet your ass Slash and Duff wish they had it.:peace:

ps, either way, we don't know the details so we'll never know for sure...just my opinion obviously.

Spot on with the Axl gets the lions share. this is why a reunion won't happen as well. If Axl can sell out arenas and make millions of dollars and calls all the shots unchallenged with this version, why would he go back to splitting even with 4 other guys? Just guessing, i have no evidence, proof or what have u, pure speculation and pulling numbers completely out of my ass, but one would assume, if GNR made 1 million a show, I guarantee Axl takes at least 50 percent and the other 7 guys get 7 percent or so apiece.

As Axl said, sure reunion would do bigger numbers in the US than the new band, but Axl isn't hurting for money or audiences in the overseas markets. So really, how much more money would he make overseas with the new band? Would they sell 5 nights at the 02 instead of 2?

still though, once u factor in Axl's lion share now compared to what his share would be to reunite... He would probably make more now or at least the same and that isn't worth the headache or giving up the control.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

He would make more reunited - period, not up for debate...  A lot more...  (for sure in the US)....

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

On this one, I agree with D & Smoking Guns, even if Axl makes the lion's share with current GN'R, even if he had to go even with the old guys, he'd STILL make TONS more money. That's just the concert money. That's not counting merch, a Greatest Hits packaged with a new song or two and some live trx WITH proper promo (most likely from Slash & Duff), etc.

If we're talking money, Axl would still make more splitting with Slash, Duff & Izzy, than he does now by himself with the new Guns.

As for what Neemo pointed out, I think Axl's warmed up more to the "multiple member" thing. I could see Duff & Izzy doing a whole show, and several of them with new GN'R. Axl would probably be shy of Steven, but for Steven's own good.

In theory, I could see a 2010 GN'R show with Izzy & Duff on full time, but with Steven only guesting on a few trx. Even in a full blown reunion, I only see Steven as a guest star. I think Frank Ferrer has that drummer job perminately, as long as he stays on Axl's good side. Not only is Frank talented, he nails the old & new material, and leaves potential for new songs, with little threat from legal & substance problems. Not to mention he seems to be a nice guy and good ambassador to the fans, like Ron.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I really like Frank the most of any of GNR's drummers. Brain's a close second. Anything further back than that, and there's a shit load of drama. Both were very talented tho, not taking that away from Steven & Matt at all.

End rant

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I also think Axl doesn't give two shits about Gilby or Matt. He sees them as replacement players, and I don't think they'll ever be invited to do anything, even tho Axl's been cool with them for awhile. I think Matt deserves a bit more respect having been the drummer on two classic GN'R albums, but as of now Richard Fortus is more legit than Gilby. Not that anyone was asking for him, just thought i'd throw that out there for discussion's sake.

Board footer