You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

tejastech08 wrote:

Speaking of the delays, you wonder at what point the label would drop him. They dumped a ridiculous amount of cash into CD and it was a big flop. The band is Guns in name only.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

chive-tues-randomness-23.jpg

see that red star, top right.  its a sign

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Speaking of the delays, you wonder at what point the label would drop him. They dumped a ridiculous amount of cash into CD and it was a big flop. The band is Guns in name only.

It depends.  At this point, he's not actually costing them anything because I don't think he's been in the studio for a while.  OTOH, I'm not sure the label wants to miss out on the potential (unlikely as discussed during the last page) of a reunion + new album by the original GNR.  They could also just be jerks about it and just refuse to release him since he's badmouthed them for a while.  It's happened before where a label refuses to release a band from a contract yet at the same time wants nothing to do with them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i think a reunion would prob be about a tour cos Slash seems to love to tour most, but its a shame as I think studio is the best bet - they dont have to associate as much as on tour, and it's easier for Axl to add the magic he adds without the physical punishment to the voice that touring does.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The thing is, the Best Buy deal structured by Azoff basically cleared the debt Axl owed Universal dating back to the Geffen/Interscope days. Everyone walked away clean except for BB, and Azoff got a commission. Uni refused to promote in the states in fear to lose any more money, and now Axl tours the world with the current GN'R making a pure profit.

I don't know how many albums Axl owed Uni. Just CD, or multiple albums because Axl used all that money to record a supposed "vault" full of material.

The ultimate bottom line is that Uni will NEVER drop Guns N' Roses, because regardless of it being Axl-only, the GN'R brand name will ALWAYS have value based on the back catalog alone, and the big wig wet dream of a possible reunion down the line. Uni wants in on that mega-deal, and doesn't want to walk away in case it happens, thus the reason they've been trying to blackball new Guns in the U.S. in an effort to force Axl's hand in a reunion, which Axl has admitted.

Whether he'll give in, who knows. But Axl better figure out soon what his moves in 2011 & 2012 are gonna be, because if he's not gonna give Uni a new album, and he's not gonna do a reunion, Uni is gonna start tapping that back catalog for funds and forcing new Greatest Hits sets, re-tracked and re-packaged, every couple of years, and possibly forcing RB/GH games and/or downloads.

Axl better get his ducks straight, because he won't be able to stop them. They'll destroy him.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axl claims that their side of it is bullshit. So who do you trust? The crazy guy or the guys who were stoned out of their minds at the time? Axl claims the hostile takeover thing is a propaganda PR strategy from Slash over the years to gain sympathy. Regardless, you don't give up something that valuable when you created it. Axl said that if he had actually tried the hostile takeover thing, he would have lost the court battle over the years and they could have not only taken the name from him but also sued him for damages.

Yeah from what I can tell I doubt that Axl refused to go onstage one night unless they signed over the name.  That seems pretty unbelievable, plus as Axl said they could have sued him on those grounds.

However, Axl says all this shit went down at the time the renegotiation with Geffen happened.  Niven has said in interviews that the reason they got David Geffen to renegotiate was the fact that they threatened to tour and not give the record company the Illusion albums if he didn't renegotiate.  They figured they could make enough money just off the tour alone even with no new album (sounds like the Chi Dem tours for years).

Perhaps when the contracts where finally done and Axl put the clause in about the name, he threatened Slash et al that he wouldn't "do the tour" unless they signed them.  Then somewhere thru the passage of time that scenario got bastardised into the "Axl wouldn't go on stage", which Slash conveniently never corrected.  Presumably the statute of limitations had expired by the time Slash and Co awoke from their drugged and drunken haze and realised what they had done.  Assuming there was any legal recourse anyhow. 

Remember also these contracts were signed after Axl sacked Niven and this guy "the ambush predator" as Slash described him was now in control:

2ro2skk.jpg

No prizes for guessing whoose side he was rooting for:
1045lz6.jpg

It's worth pondering also why a partnership agreement had never been drawn up previously, wouldn't that be good management?  Apparently the bands lawyer at the time Peter Paterno had been instructed to draw one up but Axl refused to sign it, so it sat in a draw.

Reality is no matter how ethically and morally wrong it probably was that Axl made them sign over the rights, they did it! It was stupid and later on they realised that fact but it was all too late by then.  Slash and Duff obviously have tried to work the "legally wrong" angle but to no avail.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

turning out to be not so dumb IMHO

Duff McKagan Endorses His Guns N' Roses Replacement (A Top Story)

10/27/2010
Duff McKagan Endorses His Guns N' Roses Replacement was a top story. Here it is again: (hennemusic) In the latest edition of his regular column at Seattle Weekly, Duff McKagan gives a "shout out" to his replacement in Guns N' Roses, Tommy Stinson.

"About a week and a half ago, I had the pleasure of hanging out with Tommy Stinson. For those of you who don't know, he is the guy who replaced me in Guns N' Roses. But also for those of you who don't know, Tommy is known to a lot of us music fans for his work in his first band, The Replacements.

"Our meeting last week was by no means the first time we have hung out. No, back in 1983, my band 10 Minute Warning opened for The Replacements right here in Seattle, at the long-defunct punk club Metropolis. Tommy is a great f**king guy, and I always come away glad when our paths have crossed over the years." - more on this story

Share this article on Twitter

Sky Dog wrote:

sweet......

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Yeah, that is not so dumb....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Good to see the old and new guys getting along. I'd like to see more of this type of thing and less of the war.

Board footer