You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Slash commenting on Duff with GNR

DCK wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Pretty much sums up exactly what I´m talking about when I say a reunion at some point is inevitable and those screaming from the rooftops that it will never happen will be wrong, just like they always are when it comes to bands reuniting despite the obvious differences with Gn`R´s situation that tejastech08 pointed out. Your post James is also what i was getting at when I said Duff on stage was and is a big deal while everyone else seems to sluff it off as not that important in a very similar way to what you just outlined.  More and more the burnt bridges are being repaird so it´s only a matter of time before the bridge is passable. It´s coming we just gotta wait... or not wait however ya like to phrase it.

I think the Duff deal is huge. The Izzy thing in 2006 wasn't as big of a deal because he wasn't in any "camp." He got the hell out before the other two and then didn't bother joining Revolver with them. Duff is in Slash's camp, so Axl and him having dinner together alone without the Malibu Mafia is a huge deal...bigger than them playing the same stage together for the first time in 17 years. Duff is the key to any reunion. We need him to serve as the mediator for Slash and Axl just like he did back in the day when they were in their prime.

Having said this, you acknowledge that this situation is more fucked up than the usual band breakups. Usually the biggest egomaniac in the band gets fired rather than gaining 100% control of the band's name. That is and always will be the biggest roadblock to a reunion. The only way it can happen is for Slash to cave on something, primarily the "equal rights" issue. Axl would probably have to cave on the issue of showing up at the right time for gigs.

Axl will never show up on time. Even if he wanted to himself he wouldn't be able to.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I think the Duff deal is huge. The Izzy thing in 2006 wasn't as big of a deal because he wasn't in any "camp." He got the hell out before the other two and then didn't bother joining Revolver with them. Duff is in Slash's camp, so Axl and him having dinner together alone without the Malibu Mafia is a huge deal...bigger than them playing the same stage together for the first time in 17 years. Duff is the key to any reunion. We need him to serve as the mediator for Slash and Axl just like he did back in the day when they were in their prime.

I agree with the dinner part them chillin out together is much more importnat but the very fact Duff was allowed to get on stage speaks volumes. Axl and Duff must be cool with each other otherwise that doesn´t happen. I have no doubt in my mind when Axl looked over and saw Duff on stage with him he also looked over and wonderd what it would be like to have Slash there as well. He´s human so he could he not think it. I have no doubt the thought has and does cross his mind here and there.

Would love to have been a  fly on the wall in the restaurant when Axl and Duff had dinner.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

So, your ticket says the show starts at 9 PM. Well, Axl doesn't play at 9 PM. His track record's more than proven that. And yet people still show up to GN'R shows expecting the band to take the stage "on time," even though being on time for Axl is still a few hours down the line. When I go to a GN'R show, I don't really expect the band to hit the stage before 11 PM. And, leaving unrealistic and assholish expectations at the door, I always have a great time. It's a rock n' roll show, for chrissakes. Thing's didn't used to be such corporately structured, pre-scheduled, neat, tight, and polite bullshit. Apparently I'm the last one left who a) doesn't expect the band to ever play "on time" and b) doesn't really want them to. Just wanted to put that out there, because it seems to be a sticking point in attacking Axl and I've always thought it's bullshit. You know buying a ticket to a GN'R show that it's not happening on time and may not be happening at all. That's part of the danger and part of the allure. They're not Daughtry. You probably won't be home and in bed by 11 PM.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Von wrote:

So, your ticket says the show starts at 9 PM. Well, Axl doesn't play at 9 PM. His track record's more than proven that. And yet people still show up to GN'R shows expecting the band to take the stage "on time," even though being on time for Axl is still a few hours down the line. When I go to a GN'R show, I don't really expect the band to hit the stage before 11 PM. And, leaving unrealistic and assholish expectations at the door, I always have a great time. It's a rock n' roll show, for chrissakes. Thing's didn't used to be such corporately structured, pre-scheduled, neat, tight, and polite bullshit. Apparently I'm the last one left who a) doesn't expect the band to ever play "on time" and b) doesn't really want them to. Just wanted to put that out there, because it seems to be a sticking point in attacking Axl and I've always thought it's bullshit. You know buying a ticket to a GN'R show that it's not happening on time and may not be happening at all. That's part of the danger and part of the allure. They're not Daughtry. You probably won't be home and in bed by 11 PM.

Are you seriously playing the corporate, polically correct conform to society bullshit card? Gimme a break. The whole coming on late thing si so rock n roll for ya? When I pay for a concert ticket and the opening band ends at 9:00 I expect the headliners to take the stage no more than an hour later. It´s not asking for too much and the fact you think people use the late starts as an excuse to attack Axl is so lame. Only little kids who are so impressionalble think that shit is cool. Bumblefoot was sick of the late starts the original members hated it for christs sakes but you´re gonna sit here and say in not so many words that the people who hate the late starts are pussies? Whatever.  Part of the danger and allure is coming on late? hahahaha! There´s nothing dangerous or alluring when it´s 1:30am and the crowd won´t even stand for Paradise City cause they´re all tired as fuck from waiting around for hours on end.  I´ve seen that bullshit happen three times at Gn´R concerts. It´s even fucking worse when the venue stops selling food or beer before the band even hits the stage. There´s a lot that goes into people hating the late starts dude not just a  bunch of pussies and whiners wanting Axl to conform. Unreal.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Imagine a reunion without Adler? I get the impression that would really hurt Steven put him in a bad state...something Slash probably would care about

Has to be Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy and Steven

mav
 Rep: 0 

mav wrote:

You are dead right there about Adler, but would Slash care enough about that? Slash has a history with Sorum, and Axl has stated that Adler comes with nightmares about his mom and ambulances in tow.

Would either Axl or Slash care enough to get Adler on board, or care enough about the consequences on Adler's personal state if he was denied that reunion chance?  Adler presents a risk, and if its money thats the driver he may not be the safe option.

Although I agree, I always liked Adler, and he was there at the start, he deserves his place in it. A possible Hall of Fame show seems ideal to me.

mav
 Rep: 0 

mav wrote:

All said, I want a renunion as much as anyone, but cant help feeling like we are all getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

I (sadly) predict silence next year. Although I do hope cogs start turning in the background while we get the silent treatment.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm not saying Slash should bend over backwards for everything Axl wants, I'm saying that's what's its going to take for a reunion. And it ain't happening.

For the record, I think Axl's tardiness would be more of an issue than anything on the business end. And the latter will be impossible to solve in itself.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
-Slash- wrote:

Slash: "It's really sort of disappointing to me that he's gone and done that, for whatever reason — a lot of it having to do with [that fact that] I just know the guy and the other guys in the band are bummed out and they've had a really rocky road for awhile. And then just because 'American Idol' is what it is, so it's hard for me to put the thing together."

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/N … mith-1101/
After a year of high-profile squabbles, which nearly resulted in his band getting a new singer, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry seems to have made peace with Steven Tyler’s extracurricular activities. Talking to Spinner.com, Perry wished his Toxic Twin well.

"Steven wants to spend time in L.A. and do this," said Perry, referring to Tyler’s much-hyped addition to American Idol. "He's always talked about doing stuff like that and I think he wants to try his hand at that. Let him go at it. That's an interesting endeavor. I hope he's really happy doing it."

As for the future of Aerosmith, Perry said, “I don’t know what’s going to happen with the band.” But he added, "I'm optimistic about it. I know that the band will always somehow put something together and play, whether it's two or three weeks out on the road and playing this or that or some charity stuff. I do not think this band is going to see its last show. That's how I feel."
Aerosmith_Classics_Live.jpg

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I can't believe anybody even still cares about Aerosmith. They've been "over" since Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, and more realistically probably the early 90's was their last gasp of relevancy. How ironic, they score their biggest hit in 1998, and in alot of ways it was their swan song.

I can't believe they continue to limp along when virtually no interest has existed in a decade. They need to just take an extended break, stop being assholes toward Steven, let him do American Idol, the show is fuckin' dying anyways and will be over shortly, and then they can come back for a revival/farewell tour for a few years, and just retire. Some trying to squeeze another drop of juice out of a long dried-up orange.

James Lofton wrote:

Then its not a real reunion. No Izzy=no reunion. Sure you could market a hybrid version as a reunion and the twittering zombies of the world may buy it, but in reality it would be nothing of the sort. They're pushing it by not including Adler but Sorum was in the band during that pre UYI hysteria so it would work. Take Izzy out of the dynamic and it changes it completely. Just because he kept a low profile does not minimize what he was to the band and what he meant to fans. It was NEVER the same after he left.

A small taste of his impact was witnessed when he showed up at Hammerstein. Crowd went nuts and the forums were batshit insane for days.

Some hybrid version of Axl/Slash/Duff, Axl/Slash, or Axl/Duff with new members or a few current CD era members has the potential to blow up in all their faces and not get the huge payday and final run at the top.

A 1991 UYI lineup reuniting is certainly marketable, but no proper shindig will occur unless its that AFD lineup.

I don't think it will be as big as it could have been years ago, but to have a chance it's gotta be Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Adler/Sorum. Dizzy is expendable(no offense) but would probably be there for obvious reasons. Anything less than that, don't even bother.

You don't have that authority. A reunion is whatever the masses are told is a reunion. No different than Chinese Democracy being a Guns N' Roses album.

The only reason I classify Izzy under 'special guest' is because i'm not sure his interest in a continual involvement with GN'R. He's said he wants to participate in a reunion full-bore, but would he tire of it? How long would his interest last? Would he be happy just touring the hits or would he want some kind of artistic output to occur between them all? What would his stipulations be? I think we all kind of know where Axl, Slash, Duff, Steven/Matt & Dizzy stand. But we're never sure of Izzy.

I'm sure Izzy wants to do an AFD reunion, and personally i've always felt that Axl & Izzy both would push for Steven, so I don't even doubt that.

The question becomes if they decided to tour the world for 2-3 years in a full-fledged reunion doing stadiums worldwide, would Izzy still be interested after a year on the road?

That's the only reason I question how much Izzy would want to be there. If he's totally on fire because the boys are back with his old buddies, Axl, Duff, Slash & Steven, AND the massive paycheck he might not want to be anywhere else and see it to the end.

And Dizzy should be there, and obviously isn't going anywhere. I don't know why the classic band loyalists ignore him and his contributions so much. He's pretty much Steven Adler in terms of "band contribution", and Dizzy's got 20 years seniority. The man as far as i'm concerned IS an original member of Guns N' Roses.

Board footer