You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN: New VELVET REVOLVER Singer Has To Be Better Than SCOTT W

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter
DUFF MCKAGAN: New VELVET REVOLVER Singer Has To Be Better Than SCOTT WEILAND - Nov. 23, 2010
In a new interview with Artisan News Service, VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan talked about what the hold-up has been with regards to the search for the right replacement for departed frontman Scott Weiland.

"VELVET REVOLVER is not done, we're not finished, and I don't think we've made our best record yet," he said. "We'll tour again, we'll find the guy."

He added, "It's one of those things, if you concern yourself with it [too much, it starts to work against you] because there's a not to pool from out there — for our particualr band. There's some great talent — we've heard some really, really good guys — but to get all of us to agree on what that… I don't know if the guy that all four of us want is ever gonna exist, but we've gotta get close."

Regarding a possible replacement for Weiland, McKagan said, "It's gotta be better than it was; it's gotta be as good, at least. And for us, it's gotta be better. And Scott is an amazing vocalist and frontman, so it's gotta be as good or better than that. We can't [step down a notch]."

VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash said in a recent interview with Backstage Axxess that the band has tried out a few new singers but has yet to find the right guy. Slash revealed in the interview, "We had a couple of guys in the week before last. We have some more guys coming in next week or the week after . . . For the most part, there have been some really good singers. (But) trying to find the right guy for this thing is a lot more complicated than one would probably think. So we will keep on toiling away until we hit that magic and when that happens then everything will start rolling."

VELVET REVOLVER has been without a vocalist and on hiatus since dismissing Weiland in April 2008, although there have been rumored candidates to take the job from time to time.

Slash recently finished a tour in support of his debut solo album and will work with VELVET REVOLVER for the rest of this year, before heading out on the road again in January with OZZY OSBOURNE.

VELVET REVOLVER released its first concert DVD on November 16, titled "Live In Houston". The 12-song, 78-minute disc was filmed in 2005 while the band was touring behind its 2004 debut album, "Contraband". In addition to tunes from that record, the DVD also includes songs from its members' other bands, GUNS N' ROSES and STONE TEMPLE PILOTS, along with interviews with all five band members at the time.

[youtube][/youtube]

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

No shit Duff. Never should have wasted your time with Weiland in the first place. And of course the guy you want is never gonna exist. You need a sane version of Axl Rose. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I know I'm the only person who thinks its a good idea and have suggested it several times, but I really think they should contact Santigold and see if she'll audition.  Would add a completely different dynamic to the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It would have to be someone like a Santigold, who could use a boost by it. Who would want to take the risk of being slagged in the press when things don't go right?

In alot of ways they're screwed. They want to top Weiland, so they really need to hit it out of the park with someone already credible, yet most likely all they're gonna be offered is B-level talent.

Fergie is the only one who's performed with them so far I could see taking the job, but I HIGHLY doubt they're gonna go that route. They're still too cock rock.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I know I'm the only person who thinks its a good idea and have suggested it several times, but I really think they should contact Santigold and see if she'll audition.  Would add a completely different dynamic to the band.

Sorry dude but I'm gonna have to say a big fat no to this 16 I've listend to her stuff and yeah she's pretty darn good but no way would it work with Velvet Revolver in my opinion. Yes it would add a different dynamic to the band but not in a  positive way. I think it would be a god aweful experiement. I just don't see her voice adding anything appealing to a VR type of band. I do think they should go with a female singer though baring a lightning ina bottle type miracle where the perfect male vocalist comes around.

Having said all that now I'm gonna suggest someone that most might laugh at but I think she'd sound really good with VR but would likley cause more headaches than it's worth

I do think if they wanna do something different and slightly bold they should go with a female singer. I'm not normally a  fan of female singers but if they got it right it could be awesome and would definately distance themselves from the Scott era VR which would be a good thing in my opinion.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I dug the kinda alternative vibe that Scott brought to VR, as it distanced them from being a washed up 80's rockband trying to start again with anew singer.

But the direction they should've headed after Contraband was in that of Slither, Superhuman, Illegal Eye - a heavier modern rock with a touch of classic rock.
Libertad was for the most party very poppy sounding, but everyone knows that, including the band.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

The only way they'll get anywhere commercially successful, is with another known singer. Otherwise it'd have to be the best rock ever recorded for people to take notice in this current musical climate.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If I was a billionaire, I'd pay the VR guys to record one album with Chris Cornell.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

If I was a billionaire, I'd pay the VR guys to record one album with Chris Cornell.

Now THAT would kick ass!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's a real bind they're in.

I mean they have two options:

#1 Unknown Guy.

Problems: If he isn't absolutely earth flooring then it looks like they just got a scott/axl clone, and the band goes from a 'superband' made of two famous bands to like a VR-lite.

Positives: Don't have to worry about any existing rep problems or sounding too much like any other act, also, less likely for the singer to have lead singer syndrome, he wont be wearing the pants in this relationship.

#2 Get Someone Exisiting:

Positivies: Keeps VR's marketing thing as a band full of exisitng stars. Also you 'know what you're getting' more than with a new commer. Will probably have existing fanbase too to negate the potential loss of the STP sourced part of VR's fanbase. Avoids impression band has lost something with scott if new person has equal or superior fame.

Negatives: Who to use? Most of the big names are spoken for or too busy. The obvious choices are Cornell who's tied with soundgarden, Baz - who's renewed friendship with Axl would make it politically problematic. Also, using an existing buy does bring up comparisions. With Baz at audition they felt it was too much like skid row (I love baz but i'll grant his voice is distinctive), and I;m sure with cornell it would also be obvious it's cornell. So who to get. From the VR video it seemed matt was insterumental in chossing scott cos he wanted a star on their level over an unknown...but the problem is...these days is there anyone around who can cut it who's free.

Then you look at the things they need:

* fame or reputation a bonus
* good range - ability to sing both scott's old material, preferably the odd GNR cover again i'd imagine, and new material that's significantly rockeier than the direction they'd been in.
* Stage presnce that compares to scott, (and they dont say it but one would assume by default Axl as well)
* kickass writing ability to match the musical skills of the group
* good looks probably an advantage these days in a front man

It's a tough as hell job.

While I underdstand that not everyone shares the Myles Kenedy love I have, he ticks so many of those boxes that it's hard to wonder who they could find better, like he has a solid exisitng rep from alterbridge, he's a bit of a pretty boy, and he can sing a tollerable gnr cover (which is hard to do) and really nail scotts stuff...and has good chemestry with slash. I dunno..if he's not the guy he's not the guy...but I wonder how many dudes there are out there in the end....i guess in a way millions of people would wanna play with slash and co...but it just seems how many are the right kind of age and have the chops....

Board footer