You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Damien Echols from the West Memphis Three Interview

Olorin wrote:

I found a mention of it in a Classic Rock magazine from just after the 2002 tour collapsed, it was the issue that had "Guns N'Roses:The End" on the cover.

It was part of a huge speculative piece full of heasay and unnamed sources, all it said was:

"...According to more informed sources, after all the time and most importantly the money thats been spent on Chinese Democracy, Axl nor his record company can afford not to release it.
And the suggestion is in some quarters now is that Axl may even be prepared to bring in a professional songwriting team-as do groups like Def Leopard, Bon Jovi and Aerosmith- in order to at least pepper up the new album with a few identifiable hits. But then who in their right mind would want to be the bloke who went to tell Axl he needed help writing a few catchy tunes?"

CR Feb 2003

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

so basically that article confirms that up to that point, Axl had NOT used DC or any other writers.

i've only ever checked 2 gnr boards over the years, but i find it hard to believe that if Axl used DC in any way there would not be evidence of tons of discussion and the source somewhere.

Axlin08 said DC "consulted axl," whatever the hell that means. that would be bad, but not a major deal for me. but then he states that they are "sitting in the vault." i took that to mean that DC co-wrote or helped with some songs. THAT would be major news. i don't believe either one though, and since no one has producted any shred of evidence, i'm assuming this is a dead issues, and 100% FALSE.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't see what it would really prove anyway, to the best of my knowledge, it's not like Axl's ever claimed to be the only writer in GNR (well aside from a specific track occasionally).

But in GNR he's he's often taken the basis of a song from Izzy, Slash or Duff, Paul Huge, Bucket and so on and added that next level of Axlness that makes the track his own and far above what it would be without him.

Think about a song like Yesterdays...in addition to Axl there's West Arkeen, Del James, and Billy McCloud writing that track...but it ended up a GNR track through and through.

If axl worked with some kind of external writier I think it would be the same result, it's not like he'd suddenly be singing covers or change up his style.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
sandman wrote:

so basically that article confirms that up to that point, Axl had NOT used DC or any other writers.

i've only ever checked 2 gnr boards over the years, but i find it hard to believe that if Axl used DC in any way there would not be evidence of tons of discussion and the source somewhere.

Axlin08 said DC "consulted axl," whatever the hell that means. that would be bad, but not a major deal for me. but then he states that they are "sitting in the vault." i took that to mean that DC co-wrote or helped with some songs. THAT would be major news. i don't believe either one though, and since no one has producted any shred of evidence, i'm assuming this is a dead issues, and 100% FALSE.

What's with all the aggression? Sorry to cause your day to come to a screaming halt.

I'm actually kind of shocked anyone really cares anymore after how CD turned out.

"Back it up your claim losers"... well first of all i'm not claiming to be an insider. I'm simply a poster/contributor here, nothing more, and haven't claimed anything to the contrary at any time. Like James said, ALOT of CD articles have vanished over the years. For a time, I thought HTGTH was a pretty deep archive of all of that stuff to find in the last couple of years that even Jarmo only has a slight fraction of the CD articles/news.

Around 2005 from my memory was when an article ran the usual news at the time (Blabbermouth, that type of stuff) saying that Desmond was contributing to CD. As a matter of fact, I thought the article said he was helping produce (like the 87 guys Axl brought in at one time or another), but I couldn't swear by it, so I didn't state it.

And before kicking me in the teeth next time, I actually spent HOURS looking across every shred of the internet to try and find the article. I actually did spend hours of my life trying to back it up and contribute to back it up.

So i'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. I guess i'm just a goddamn liar and rumor starter wasting everyone's time. I let everyone get back to all the honest truth over on Twitter.

And to all those here at Evo, a BIG thanks for trying to think back five years to help me out. smile

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

^^ I have been looking for this also. so far the only connection i can find is that bach used DC other than that it seems just rumor linked from DC on Baz and Baz is friends = DC must have helped on CD
"With so many cooks in his kitchen (Desmond Child contributes a predictably treacly ballad"

"Bach teamed with Desmond Child for "Falling Into You,” and, at the urging of his ... The idea of recording together came up last year, when Axl asked Bach to sing on. “Sorry,” a since-shelved cut he was working on for Chinese Democracy. ..."

"GNR Evolution - Guns N Roses Forum / Even Axl is sick of Baz's mouth
15 posts - 10 authors
I like hearing new info about Chinese Democracy thank you very much) ... wrote "Falling Into You," which is the last song on the record, with Desmond Child. ...
www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=8948 - Cached"

sandman

sandman wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
sandman wrote:

What's with all the aggression? Sorry to cause your day to come to a screaming halt.

I'm actually kind of shocked anyone really cares anymore after how CD turned out.

"Back it up your claim losers"... well first of all i'm not claiming to be an insider. I'm simply a poster/contributor here, nothing more, and haven't claimed anything to the contrary at any time. Like James said, ALOT of CD articles have vanished over the years. For a time, I thought HTGTH was a pretty deep archive of all of that stuff to find in the last couple of years that even Jarmo only has a slight fraction of the CD articles/news.

Around 2005 from my memory was when an article ran the usual news at the time (Blabbermouth, that type of stuff) saying that Desmond was contributing to CD. As a matter of fact, I thought the article said he was helping produce (like the 87 guys Axl brought in at one time or another), but I couldn't swear by it, so I didn't state it.

And before kicking me in the teeth next time, I actually spent HOURS looking across every shred of the internet to try and find the article. I actually did spend hours of my life trying to back it up and contribute to back it up.

So i'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. I guess i'm just a goddamn liar and rumor starter wasting everyone's time. I let everyone get back to all the honest truth over on Twitter.

And to all those here at Evo, a BIG thanks for trying to think back five years to help me out. smile

no aggression here. not sure why you would take it that way. you posted something as fact and i didn't believe it and asked for clarification. can i assume you are backing off of your original statement???...

"You guys DO Realize that Desmond Child has consulted Axl on future Guns N' Roses songs, right?

They are currently sitting in the vault. They just didn't make CD."

also, if the quote you used in your response ("Back it up your claim losers"...) was supposed to be a quote from my post, that's incorrect as well because i didn't say that.

sandman

sandman wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't see what it would really prove anyway, to the best of my knowledge, it's not like Axl's ever claimed to be the only writer in GNR (well aside from a specific track occasionally).

But in GNR he's he's often taken the basis of a song from Izzy, Slash or Duff, Paul Huge, Bucket and so on and added that next level of Axlness that makes the track his own and far above what it would be without him.

Think about a song like Yesterdays...in addition to Axl there's West Arkeen, Del James, and Billy McCloud writing that track...but it ended up a GNR track through and through.

If axl worked with some kind of external writier I think it would be the same result, it's not like he'd suddenly be singing covers or change up his style.

monkeychow - to me, writing with DC is different than writing with band members and friends. there is a MAJOR difference.

i'm not going to argue that because everyone has their own opinions on that subject, but i will say that Slash agrees with me. in his book, he mentions hanging with Joe Perry or the other guys from Aerosmith back in the 80's and he says something about being disappointed and/or losing respect for them because PV was the first album they hired outside writers to write their songs for them. and i agree 100% with Slash.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
sandman wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
sandman wrote:

no aggression here. not sure why you would take it that way. you posted something as fact and i didn't believe it and asked for clarification. can i assume you are backing off of your original statement???...

"You guys DO Realize that Desmond Child has consulted Axl on future Guns N' Roses songs, right?

They are currently sitting in the vault. They just didn't make CD."

also, if the quote you used in your response ("Back it up your claim losers"...) was supposed to be a quote from my post, that's incorrect as well because i didn't say that.

Okay, cool man. Absolutely cool. I guess I just took it the wrong way, I just didn't want to make it into any kind of conflict.

And you're right, I am backing off my original statement. I have to. I have no other choice. I am wrong, and I am sorry.

I didn't want to back off from that statement, because I still believe it to be true because I did read that article in 2005 or so.

But I can't find it, even though i've looked everywhere. I stated it as fact, because I felt that strongly, because I know I read it.

But the lack of evidence that I cannot find, I gotta back off that statement. There are no songs in the vault, and Desmond did not consult Axl per any news articles that I can find.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The rumor (along with the news that both Child and Axl were working in Curt Cuomo's studio in San Fernando) originated from Sp1at, IIRC.

Classic Rock wrote:

But then who in their right mind would want to be the bloke who went to tell Axl he needed help writing a few catchy tunes?

Umm... Bob Ezrin?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

And you're right, I am backing off my original statement. I have to. I have no other choice. I am wrong, and I am sorry.

I didn't want to back off from that statement, because I still believe it to be true because I did read that article in 2005 or so.

Well, right or wrong it was definately a rumour that did the rounds at one stage.

Given the current journalistic standards where people lift ideas from the internet and forums and so on and present them as factual stories, it's not impossible that you read an article that presented it as fact even if in reality such a colaboratuon never took place.

For example of the rumour - these posts from My GNR:
http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?sho … 3392&st=30

So I don't think you're lying, I think you probably did read it "as fact" in some artcile someplace, but the article itsself was full of shit.

It is worth noting as well Desmond worked for Kobalt Music Group as an "ambasator" in 2006, a publisher that listed Axl among it's clients.

See: http://www.kobaltmusic.com/news_press_r … .php?id=34

He's also worked with Sebastian as described earlier in the thread, and Sebastian is a known Axl associate etc.

These things prove nothing, but they could easliy cause a bit of confusion or speculation amongst the fanbase/media, and that's probably what's happened here.

Board footer