You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Duff McKagan Says Taking Stage With Guns N' Roses Was Meant To Happen

monkeychow wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

As for liking Axl Rose as a person, what is there to like?

I admire Axl for his musical talent, for his ability to analise words, his deep thinking and what I see as stong intellectualism from a person with a very tough background. I think he looks at things from a unique perspective that I find facinating and valuable. He also seems to be quite funny in a number of interviews.

So for me there is quite a lot to like, however, that doesn't mean I'm trying to cannonise him, it would appear from the outside that there may be a darker side to his personality as well relating to anger and violence and so on.

But he is who he is. We all play the cards we are dealt in this life.

I can only speak for myself but I know I have a lot of flaws, there's a lot of reasons someone might like me, but there's also a lot of reasons people might not. And I see that in Axl too.

I think one of the most facinating elements of the history of Guns N Roses is simply that it's really wrong to make it all into a fight between factions - if you look at any of them close enough you will see wonderfully talented people but people with flaws.

Take Slash. Seems easy going often, but I also think he may well have a passive agressive nature to the way he handles band dynamics, and despite handing the lions share of interviews for any band, I suspect he isn't the best at communication - especially if it's about his actual feelings on stuff. He's also a junkie and suffers from all those addiction problems and all that invovles. But you know what - I don't need him to be perfect - he's still one of the best guitarists in the world - and brings so much to the musical table - and is probably my favoutie guitarist in general.

I view Axl this way too. If you analise what we know of his character you see things that arn't perfect. There's potential anger issues. There's violence. There's control. He's sometiems late, and a little unpredictable. But much like slash - I don't need him to be my saviour - he also brings amazing abilites, writes great songs and I really appriciate what he's given me musically over the years.

To me being a fan of these people is accepting that I may not agree with everything they've ever done, or will do, and realising that their outlooks and problems and strengths may differ from mine, but still enjoying their work and supporting them in it overall.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

what you said is you like him for his musical talent (like most do here) but that is not liking him as a person. You still did not give  a reason why you liked him as a person.  Most like axl for his musical talent but a lot of people think he is an asshole of a person.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
ppp wrote:
jamester wrote:

*Whispers to ppp*  shhh dont get dave started again!

It's ok. I put him on my ignore list. I do it for every board he posts on.

Yet you replied to one of my posts and thought I was BBA.
roll

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I actually could care less if Axl Rose is buddies with Mel Gibson. I kinda get sick and tired of the "word police" deeming someone a racist simply because they fuckin' said nigger or faggot, and told some fuckin' cunt to blow them before they get in the jacuzzi (shout out to Mel).

Don't - give - a - fuck

As for Axl, my reactions are based solely on his own personal decision making towards the band itself, which for as great of an artist and performer he can be, he is a spectacular FAILURE as a businessman. Which has crippeled Guns N' Roses since the mid-90's.

Dave is dead right about one thing - the majority of GN'R fans, true ones fans of the old, very much see things like Dave states. They have a love/hate relationship with Axl. They love him because he's Axl Rose, the baddest rocker from "their day", but they hate him for breaking up GN'R. Perception is reality, and almost everyone i've met in my life and there have been MANY since the mid-90's, from kids to Stones-age fans, from artists to journalists, from record execs to dj's, have ALL blamed Axl Rose for the fall of GN'R.

If you know a fan, not an internet geek, that feels otherwise, i'd love to meet them because I haven't met a single one in about 16 years.

And like Buzz, I could care less about what Axl does or doesn't do, because like him and the new Guns, it doesn't affect one bit my love and future love and legacy of the great band Guns N' Roses (1985-1995).

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I like Axl as a person because he doesn't play the media's and the major business organizations in the record industry's games.

He seems to not give a fuck if he drives his own plane into the ground, he refuses to play that game.

That takes stones.

Writing, performing, recording and releasing the song One In A Million ALONE gives the man major stones, good or bad, and for that - I salute my glass.

Anybody that pushes that card, I respect. Same thing goes for Dre, NWA all those guys back in the day.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

what you said is you like him for his musical talent (like most do here) but that is not liking him as a person. You still did not give  a reason why you liked him as a person.  Most like axl for his musical talent but a lot of people think he is an asshole of a person.

Well I don't know him as a person, so it would be kinda wierd to have a firm view that he's wonderful, or a firm view that he's a prick. Like we really only have the public apperances and words of others and so on.

I must say from that Eddie Trunk interview he seemed funny and intelligent and the kind of guy I'd like to be friends with in real life - even if he wasn't Axl and famous and all that.

Then again there's women who say he's abusive and so on...so I guess there's as much "bad" evidence as "good". So i can't really form an opinion.

But i will say I don't dislike him, and from that interview it sounded like I might well like him. As I was saying earlier we all have good and bad points.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

One of the most extensive interviews/chats with Axl, the Eddie Trunk show, really made me see Axl in a different light.

He was funny as hell, he was ironic and seemed to understand why some people would assume he's a prick and in some cases he even seemed to agree with them.

When that baseball-player-gnr-fan who "leaked" IRS called in, Axl was funny, ironic and polite. He was "busting his balls" about leaking IRS in a way that EVERYONE there seemed to find funny, even the baseball-guy himself seemed relieved and comfortable at the end of it.

That whole interview showed a relaxed side of Axl selldom seen or heard before or since. So whenever I read or hear someone taking a petty shot at Axl for whatever reason, I really feel I now better!
smile

(If any of you guys for some reason haven't heard it. Get on it! It's out there and worth every second!)

salome
 Rep: 2 

salome wrote:

Axl is quite fascinating - absolutely contradictory.

I like his sense of humor, I enjoyed watching him entertainig that little girl at one of the Russian shows last year, I appreciated the way he was telling some guys off back in 2006 - "You think you're a bigger asshole than me? Well, you got some more to learn!". I respect him for denying himself to be part of the press furore to a large extent. I even have sympathy for his reclusive way of life.

He has done nasty things for sure and not only a few. But the asshole part is plain and simple that - a part. And in comparison to the late 80s and early & mid 90s that amount has diminished somehow. He has a very likeable side, too and if you look closely this side appears not even uncommonly.

Well, I have never been a supporter of the idea that the members of newGnR are only in on it for the money. In my view, Tommy is a very sincere and pleasant person and apparently Ron and Richard are not much different. They can do without spending their life time bowing down before an unbearable and absolutely unpleasant person.

In his first interview after the "reunion" Duff mentioned how much he had missed it spending time with his old friend and he still seems to be very happy about the event. I don´t see, why a decent person like Duff should have missed being around with someone who is a complete asshole.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Naltav wrote:

One of the most extensive interviews/chats with Axl, the Eddie Trunk show, really made me see Axl in a different light.

He was funny as hell, he was ironic and seemed to understand why some people would assume he's a prick and in some cases he even seemed to agree with them.

Yeah totally agree. That interview really showed a great side of Axl. I mean sure - based on the the stage rants and that he clearly has an angry side but you can also see he's a pretty cool easy going dude a lot of the time too.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

A message from Duff while he was in UK this weekend.
mHqUO.jpg

Board footer