You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: proshot HOB

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah fair enough...I was probably being a bit harsh...I just read that review and it sounded a little fairy tale land - but like you said I guess it was just excitment talking.

All that said, I would love to see this show on BD, although you have to wonder if the source material would have been in 1080 given it was shot in 2000 or whenever...but maybe was shot with good technology of the time?

I'd still prefer a proshot from the 2010 tour overall though...to me the 2010 band seems more together as a unit or something, the 2002 era always seemed to have different things pulling different ways to my ears.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

from jarl at htgth

Like i said in the clip, no fockin' way.
There is no HOB recording.
And even if it's there non of us mortals wil see it.

Me as trader, as if i ever was one! hahaha, yeah right
Traders should have rare stuff to get there new things.
All i ever got was stuff that stopped being rare as soon as i got it!!!!!!
But for you, as trader i'm only interested in 2 things, Indiana 91 and Arnhem 2010 from ledmax.
I don't give a flying fuck about HOB or any other show.

This clip, it's just a joke, as is the trade offer of HOB from that guy!!!!!
And no, it's not just a powerpoint, but something made with adobe after effects.
I'm afraid it takes a bit more then just a 12 year old to make it.

gnr-4-ever is right, clips like this, that's my sort of humor.

the bluray thing couldn`t be possibly true as the show was supposed to be released on dvd a few years back. this still doesn`t say anything about the credibility of the other trader...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

To monkey: In the reviewers defense, go back and listen to HOB 2001 & Rio III specifically.

Axl actually had a little bit of the rasp, similar to the old days, but there was helium voice and a breathless Axl too.

Even though the rasp was in and out on those two 2001 shows, when the band's boots resurfaced during the 2002 shows, the rasp was completely gone and didn't come back somewhat until 2006. Obviously it was fully back, ala 1993 by 2010.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

To monkey: In the reviewers defense, go back and listen to HOB 2001 & Rio III specifically.

Fair call.

Goes to show how faulty my memory can be.

I don't have HOB but I just had a watch of 2001 Rio 3 and there was a lot more rasp than I recalled - I think I must have been thinking of the later 2002 shows that had significantly less.

If I'm going to be 100% honest...

I remember in 2002 I actually wondered if Axl was experiencing vocal problems of some kind. I don't mean that disrespectfully at all - just he seemed to be singing very differently at the time - there was almost no rasp, elemets of his voice were superhigh but different in timbre, and he seemed to faulter or seem breathless on the lower register notes more than he had in the past.

For the record, even on his worst day Axl is my favourite front man, and he still kicks the crap out of most people as a peformer, I'm just saying the change in delivery was noticable - and I wondered if I was hearing the passage of ten years, the after effects of the phyical toll of the 1991-3 era tours or an intentional shift in singing style.

I don't think I'm alone in noticing that either - a number of people I played the bootlegs I had to - trying to get them as excited for CD as I was - said similar things.

Thankfully he seems back to his old self again these days....and I really dig the superhigh stuff he does on TWAT and so on anyway.

So yeah, I retract my earlier statements - i guess it's possible on HOB he could sound pretty much like vintage axl - as RIR3 was more like it than i remembered.

I still think the band sounds entirely different to the old band - for better or worse or equal - though...but I guess we can put that down to the reviewer being elated about the show and wanting to reassure people that it was still good without the AFD crew.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl didn't sound anywhere close to 'vintage Axl', and yes the 2001 GN'R was alot different beast than the old band, probably the biggest contrast from one era to the other in Guns N' Roses existence.

I was just saying that Axl had more rasp, which could've encouraged the reviewer to exaggerate his recollection of the show. Plus we all know after going to concerts, especially if we enjoyed it alot, it's like sex - we have afterglow, and make it out to be wonderful, when it reality it could've just been okay. I personally think some Slash fans do that with Myles, but it's jmho.

I would still love to know the answer with what was going on in 2002 with his voice. It's actually one of my biggest questions i'd like to know, just out of curiosity.

There's so many different solutions to that issue. Whether it was conscious or not, whether he was doing it to protect his voice, whether he was just trying to change his sound, alot of different stuff.

I don't know if he was trying to go in a James LaBrie-direction, or had physical issues, but the change was drastic. The irony, is to this day, I think the CD songs, the ones that were played, sound the best vocally from 2002, it's the old stuff that was all wrong.

If you could get Axl's 2010 voice on Nightrain, and Bucket's 2002 guitar... it might be the greatest recording of NT ever. 9

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Man 2001 GNR had so much promise. I remember listening to those old boots and being so excited... sad. Chinese Democracy from HOB sounds great..

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

Man 2001 GNR had so much promise. I remember listening to those old boots and being so excited... sad. Chinese Democracy from HOB sounds great..

yeah it would be amazing to get the soundboard from that show. CD was amazing at that show, I really wish they would have kept in that wah wah wah stuff BH did

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Plus we all know after going to concerts, especially if we enjoyed it alot, it's like sex - we have afterglow, and make it out to be wonderful, when it reality it could've just been okay. I personally think some Slash fans do that with Myles, but it's jmho.

I think it's true that with every concert a lot is lost in the transition to video. Like I love concert videos...but I have no doubt something like RIR3 would be 10 times more exciting in person than it was on the tape, and I also think people notice errors and stuff more on tape than one does live as well.

As for myles. For me it's a couple of things. The first is that traditionally I hate pretty much anyone except Axl singing GNR - that's because 95% of people can't seem to hit the high notes and the low notes in the songs. Well some girls can - but thats a whole different vibe. Even when someone hits the notes - it's still impossible to capture Axl's anger, passion, authenticity, rasp and so on. So it's safe to say no one does it like Axl. And for that reason I normally can't stomach listening to a GNR cover at all. However myles does what i'd call a satisfactory version in that at least he gets the tune and the notes right - which is more than a lot of people.

Meanwhile he also provides the ability to play VR stuff and Snakepit stuff and like Stockdale or the other slash tracks really well. So I guess people like him because he's an all rounder that can facilitate a slash gig of the kind we've had recently. I mean slash's recent setlist has really been a 'greatest hits" type set - with the most famous of his AFD tunes, the most popular of the VR stuff and even his traditional godfather solo. So i think you're right that people are on a high from seeing slash and like him but he also deserves respect just for his all round ability.

I see DJ Ashba as sort of a similar role.

Like a singer like scott doing say Mr Brownstone, I spend the whole song going "that's not how it goes". But with Myles he's going to sing it right - even though he's 100% not the same as Axl. So it's not like perfect Axl style - but it's done justice.

Dj is the same. Listening to Robin play the lead lines of AFD I'd be like "but that's not the solo" - But with DJ - he still is 100% not slash but he's playing a version that my mind can accept as his take on the song - rather than like an entirely new part.

So i see both those guys as people who are able to carry off a respectful version of a classic part - which is hard to do - and also people that clearly have a lot of ability and talent in their own right.

Anyway sorry this is derailing the thread! My bad!

Axlin08 wrote:

The irony, is to this day, I think the CD songs, the ones that were played, sound the best vocally from 2002, it's the old stuff that was all wrong.

I always felt that was about the 2002 band - they came alive and sounded amazing on the CD tracks - but when it came to the older tunes I couldn't accept the changes to the guitar parts and struggled with the way Axl sang them in that era.

I think the 2010 band is a much happier outfit really - they seem to be able to make the AFD tracks sound like they should and make the CD tracks sound good too.

Board footer