You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH, ANTHRAX: 'Big Four' U.S. Dates Coming Soo

jamester wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So he pretty much admits that the mid 80s-early 90s Metallica vs Megadeth war was nothing more than a media fabrication and both sides let it continue.

What a crock of shit. It totally alters the perception of the thrash scene knowing it was all a lie.

this is the same let down i felt as a kid when i found out wrestling was all show.

A neighbor use to be really into wrestling in the mid 80's he had all thoes hard core wrestling rags with the blood & fued stories. i was bigger wrestling fan than music. the let down was unreal.

I imagine in music the bullshit they spewed back in the day tween camps sold mags and got free press. Something along the same lines as GnR's "image"

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Look at Biggie/Tupac... people took that HOAX so seriously the guy's died, and various artists war'ed off against each other for years.

As a kid in the 90's, we thought it was the real fuckin' deal. When we found out it was all bullshit (except for their death), something about it made it even more tragic, if that was even possible.

jamester

jamester wrote:

METALLICA Announces 'Big 4 Radio' And Return Of 'Mandatory Metallica' - Apr. 11, 2011
METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"We're gearing up for our first 'Big 4' show in the States and our friends over at Sirius XM are too as they launch Big 4 Radio tomorrow, Tuesday, April 12 at 12 p.m. (ET) with 24/7 'TALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX running through Sunday, May 8 at 3 a.m. (ET). The channel will feature highlights of interviews with members of all four bands as well as some of our live recordings, including performances from previous 'Big 4' shows. Sirius XM listeners can also tune in for on-site reports from the upcoming 'Big 4' show in Indio, CA on April 23, 2011.

"You can check it all out by heading over to SiriusXM.com for Internet radio or through the Sirius XM app for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch along with several BlackBerry and Android-powered smartphone devices. Big 4 Radio will also air on Sirius channel 27 and XM channel 42 Saturday, April 16 starting at 12 p.m. (ET) through Saturday, April 30 at 3 a.m. (ET).

"On Sunday, May 8, 'Mandatory Metallica' returns! The 24/7 all 'TALLICA all the time channel, including music from the entire catalog, rare cuts and live songs, will be available on Sirius XM Internet radio on Bootlegs, and through the app for all the electronic devices mentioned above for about four months."

For more information about Sirius XM and the channel, head on over to SiriusXM.com.
[youtube]v_foyr3WcJA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

jamester

jamester wrote:

jamester

jamester wrote:

BLABBERMOUTH.NET
50,000 People Expected At Today's 'Big Four' Concert In California http://dlvr.it/PTW33

Eddie Trunk
Big 4 day is here! Getting some breakfast at the hotel before heading over to the site. Should be massive!

jamester

jamester wrote:

METALLICA To Re-Team With Producer RICK RUBIN For Next Album, Says Bassist - Apr. 24, 2011
Kevin Conklin and Patrick Tish of the 93.7 KCLB Rocks! radio station (web site) in Palm Springs, California conducted an interview with METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo yesterday (Saturday, April 23) at the "Big Four" concert at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California. The chat can now be viewed below.

When asked if METALLICA will once again work with producer Rick Rubin on its follow-up to 2008's "Death Magnetic", Trujillo said, "Yeah. I love working with Rick. Rick, to me, he's sort of a Zen guru spirit that METALLICA needs right now. Not to say that we need it right now, 'cause we're getting along incredibly well, we're really excited to write some new music. There's no shortage of riffage in METALLICA world right now. And I think it's only gonna get better. The first album with Rick was also the first album for me, so in a lot of ways, you're kind of testing the water. Now that we're comfortable with Rick and his incredible engineer, Greg Fidelman, who worked with SLAYER, actually, on this last record — it's my hero — it's a great team. And it's only gonna better; I really believe that. So I'm super-excited. I know that we've got another couple [of records] in us. And I think there's a demand. It seems like we've got some new fans, and they're waiting [for new music from METALLICA]."

"Death Magnetic" was officially certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on June 28, 2010 for shipments in the United States in excess of two million copies.

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told The Pulse of Radio in an October 2008 interview that he didn't understand the controversy that had broken out over the audio quality of "Death Magnetic" shortly after the LP's release. Some fans and publications had accused the group and producer Rick Rubin of mixing the album at such a loud volume that the music is distorted and difficult to listen to. But Ulrich said that he's more than happy with the way it turned out. "I listen to this record, and I listen to it every couple of days," he said. "And when I hear it, it puts a smile on my face and it blows me away, and I don't understand what people are talking about. Somebody told me the other day that there were 12,000 people that had signed a petition to remix the record. We've sold two and a half million copies [worldwide] of 'Death Magnetic'. You do the math yourself."

A number of fans said online that they prefer the versions of the CD's tracks prepared for the Guitar Hero video game, which are mixed differently.

Ted Jensen, the engineer who mastered the album at Sterling Sound in New York, responded to fan complaints that the CD is too loud and the audio is pushed to distortion levels by writing, "I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me, I'm not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."

Mastering is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device, the "master," from which all copies will be produced.

Blame for the sound quality has been laid at the feet of the band itself, producer Rick Rubin and his recording engineer, Greg Fidelman.

METALLICA will bring the "Big Four" tour to Europe in July, and is also confirmed to perform on July 16 at the 44th edition of Festival d'ete de Quebec in Quebec City, Canada on Saturday, July 16.

The group will also headline Brazil's Rock In Rio festival this September.

METALLICA has hinted at entering the studio in May to begin work on a secret recording project, although details have been few.
[youtube]6VQvL-t7QqA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

jamester

jamester wrote:

mattsorum
3 drummer dudes at the Big 4 todayLombardo, Ulrich and Sorum http://plixi.com/p/95485732

x2_5b0ff24

jamester

jamester wrote:

METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH, ANTHRAX Presented With Double-Platinum Plaques For 'Big Four' DVD - Apr. 25, 2011
The "Big Four" bands of 1980s thrash metal — METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX — were presented with double-platinum plaques for the two-disc DVD release of "The Big Four: Live From Sofia, Bulgaria", containing footage of the June 22, 2010 Sonisphere cinecast from the Sofia, Bulgaria leg of the touring rock festival featuring all four groups. A photo of the presentation, which took place this past Saturday (April 23) at the first-ever "Big Four" concert on American soil at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, can be seen below (courtesy of Mike Portnoy).
big4platinum.jpg

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Man this show was fucking awesome.

It was a real treat to hear Metallica play Orion.

jamester

jamester wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … w-20110425
main.jpg
Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax rocked for seven hours Saturday in the California desert

By Matt Diehl
April 25, 2011 2:35 PM ET

There's nothing like a heavy metal parking lot, and the pre-show party going on before the sold-out Big 4 concert Saturday in Indio, California was maybe the craziest ever – an entire field of metalheads in sleeveless pentagram-emblazoned black T-shirts and devil beards tailgating, cooking brats on hibachis, drinking Coors tall boys and spraying sunscreen on tattooed shaven heads. The crowd was so hyped up for the seven-hour show with Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax that by the time the latter actually commenced the seven-hour proceedings with a sweaty opening set at 4:00 p.m., it already felt like a climax.

The Big 4 have played in Europe before, but the event's North American premiere felt especially historic, taking place in thrash metal's spiritual home; all the bands except Anthrax have roots in SoCal. And it proved to be one of the heaviest homecomings ever: the day was filled with memorable moments and intense live music played by bands formerly known to metal fans as bitter rivals. Slayer co-founder and guitarist Jeff Hanneman made a dramatic surprise reunion with his bandmates following an illness that threatened to end his music career. And with the success of the Indio concert, additional "Big 4" appearances appear to be highly likely, with an East Coast date the soonest probable follow-up. "Obviously, this thing should play more places in America," Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich told Rolling Stone.

The shared legacy and longevity of those involved – Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer all will celebrate their 30th anniversaries in 2011 – have clearly erased any remaining tensions. According to Ulrich, "The camaraderie is real. There's a segment of the metal community that would rather still have us feuding – it's like, 'It's much more fun when Dave [Mustaine, who was kicked out of Metallica in 1983] and Lars hate each other, or when Kerry King talks shit about Metallica.' Obviously, everybody was very competitive, but there's nothing to be competitive about now."

As Anthrax ripped into their 1987 classic "Caught In A Mosh" to open the show, concertgoers rushed the stage pumping their fists and throwing up devil signs, and didn't let up for the whole set despite the dusty desert heat, screaming along to the oi choruses and strumming along to each burst of staccato rifferama. Featuring classic-era vocalist Joey Belladonna, Anthrax ripped through 10 songs ranging from their earliest efforts like "Metal Thrashing Mad" to new track "Fight 'Em," which was as enthusiastically received as the hits. "We had a lot of adrenaline, playing a new song in front of 50,000 people," guitarist Scott Ian said moments after coming off stage. "It was pretty overwhelming – the emotion coming off the crowd was unlike any I'd felt in the United States before."

At the beginning of Megadeth's set, the sound mix was initially compromised, with frontman Dave Mustaine's vocals submerged for nearly one-third of the set. Oddly, this mistake proved a virtue, as it drew attention to Megadeth's vicious musical interplay, which swayed, lurched and exploded in total communion. Megadeth's 12 songs provided perhaps the most stylistically varied performance of the bill, from the dynamically shifting hooks of "A Tout Le Monde" to the hyper, rockabilly-influenced maelstrom of "Poison Was The Cure." With Mustaine's red mane swinging in his face as he ripped fluid solos on a gold Flying V, it was exactly the Megadeth show fans wanted to see.

Introducing the final song, "Holy Wars… The Punishment Due," Mustaine invoked recent global tragedies involving earthquakes and tsunamis, and railed against how we pit "nation against nation." It was a sentiment only reinforced by songs like "War Ensemble" in the relentless, staggering set that followed from Slayer. They were a reminder of how topical and fiercely political the innovators of thrash metal were – and prescient, their apocalyptic musings borne out by current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. With no production other than basic lights, the brawny musicality of guitarist Kerry King and drummer Dave Lombardo inspired the most brutal moshing of the day. Songs like the serial-killer anthem "Dead Skin Mask" coagulated into unholy drones before leaping into double and triple time; despite the unparalleled aggression of Slayer's music, growling frontman Tom Araya couldn't stop smiling at the audience's rabid reception.

Slayer actually provided the heaviest moment in the season's heaviest concert: when Slayer co-founder/guitarist Jeff Hanneman came out for the group's last two songs, "South Of Heaven" and "Angel of Death." Hanneman's appearance was unexpected: He hasn't performed with Slayer for most of 2011 due to suffering from necrotic fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacterial condition that withered his right arm so much it was unclear if he'd ever perform with the band again. Hanneman even cut the sleeve off his shirt to defiantly display his disfigurement as he played.

Exodus' Gary Holt has been his primary replacement, although Hanneman claimed he'd be healed enough to start touring with Slayer again in a month's time. "It was so fucking great playing again," he said moments after Slayer finished their set. "It was rough for me to sit on the bench, watching the guys – I was like, 'They're playing my song!' I could see the look in the kids' eyes when I popped out on stage: when I get up there, it's Slayer again."

Ultimately, though, the night belonged to the band at the top of the bill, Metallica. Arriving on stage to a clip from the spaghetti Western The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and its hypnotic Ennio Morricone soundtrack, the band ripped into "Creeping Death" from their second album, 1984's Ride The Lightning. Singer/guitarist James Hetfield led the crowd in a "Die! Die!" chant that was the first of many epic singalongs, only topped by the audience shouting along to every chorus in "Master Of Puppets." The crowd followed Metallica through a career-spanning 18 songs that didn't let up for two and half hours. The crushing anti-war ballad "One" proved to be the big camera-phone moment, but the most moving one occurred when the band paid tribute to late bassist Cliff Burton on the instrumental "Orion."

During the set's peak with "Enter Sandman," fans got so worked up they started a roaring bonfire in the middle of a large mosh pit, lighting their shirts aflame and twirling them above their heads. It was an exciting, dangerous moment where everything nearly spun out of control, but Metallica maintained the crowd's attention. Lead guitarist Kirk Hammett shredded one deeply lyrical, intricate solo after another, while Hetfield repeatedly returned to the drum riser to jam in unison with Ulrich, and it was thrilling to watch them create their distinctive lockstep grooves in real time. Throughout, they clearly showed how they dragged thrash sounds to the mainstream through sheer musical charisma and commitment. This was a defining performance, demonstrating why Metallica remains one of the tightest, most powerful bands ever, metal or otherwise.

For the encore, Metallica brought out nearly every member of the "Big 4" bands to play together on a raucous cover of "Am I Evil?" – a song originally by "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" band Diamond Head, and a key influence on this generation of headbangers. The crowd audibly gasped when Mustaine walked onstage – but the ensuing performance showed that the once infamous thrash-band rivalries were now a thing of the past.

And maintaining the momentum the "Big 4" kicked off in Indio seems to be an immediate priority – particularly for Metallica. "We are looking to book something on the East Coast because of the success of this – it should hopefully come together in a week or two," Ulrich said. "Maybe we'll do somewhere in the Midwest and South, too. Still, I don't think it will turn into a 40-date arena tour; that would make it less special. I like the fact that there's an element of chaos to the whole thing. It shouldn't be sterile, streamlined and perfect: it needs an edgy underbelly to remain authentic."

Board footer