You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Chinese Democracy now $1.99

faldor wrote:

Disagree, they couldn't win with whatever they release as a first single, as long as they continued on the no promotion, no push bandwagon.  The problem wasn't the choice of "Chinese Democracy" as lead single.  The problem was how the whole thing unfolded and was handled.

And quite a few of my friends actually dig IRS.

johndivney wrote:

IRS is great. robin's crazy bends n ron n buckets sonic bullets hint at the overproduction which plagued the making of the album while axl's screeching his way thru his paranoid wreckage hurling whatever he finds while the tune rollercoasters along til it builds to a classic GnR climax. perfect snapshot of the story of CD.
CD is a great track 2

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, love IRS.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That scream in IRS is gold.

I was obsesssed with that song when it came out.

I think the album just lacked any promo or business push. The songs themselves are great.

I wonder how "This I love" would have done. I know it's a slow song and all that so probably a bad single choice, but Axl sounds like classic Axl - and it's reminiscent of his past works in a way that i think could arouse interest in a casual listener who likes NR etc.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Actually the RIO show got excellent reviews, but you're right that people in the press were focused on his "love handles."

He never went shirtless on stage again. That's really the only negative I remember. Even the Vegas shows got really good reviews.

I was following each show and each review very closely. Those were the days. A lot of excitement and CD was right around the corner big_smile

The media was sucking his cock in 2001. Everybody wanted GNR back on the scene at the time.  All those shows got rave reviews and even the new songs were getting praise. The planets were aligning for Audioslave type success, but Axl had to be Axl and flush that momentum down the toilet.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

no doubt. to do the vegas new years show and then right away do the big show in rio and then nothing until the following new years show. just a waste. that band may have stayed together had they put the fucking album out sometime in 2001 and book a real tour in 2001. makes me mad as hell to be honest. the album would have been better recieved and would have sounded better also. release the rest of the material or a double album with the rest of the material in 2002 then hit the vma's. what the fuck.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

love irs, myself.

i know it got a lot of requests here when the radio got ahold of the piaza leak.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

Chinese Democracy would have made a "better" radio single if they had chopped off the long-ass intro and started right off with the guitar riff like at Rock In Rio. Don't get me wrong - the intro works great on the album and builds anticipation until it kicks in, but on radio you need to get to the fucking point.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
huntermc wrote:

Chinese Democracy would have made a "better" radio single if they had chopped off the long-ass intro and started right off with the guitar riff like at Rock In Rio. Don't get me wrong - the intro works great on the album and builds anticipation until it kicks in, but on radio you need to get to the fucking point.

I agree 100%.  People already changed the station before the actual song started.

Board footer