You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: video game sales nearly double box office sales in 2007

Neemo wrote:

Video game sales break records
NPD Group reports a record-breaking year in video game sales.
By YVG Staff

Video game sales topped $17 billion last year, according to the NPD Group, making 2007 by far the biggest year in gaming history.

These numbers mark a 43 percent increase year over year, solidifying the games industry's strong lead in growth over movie box office revenue, which totaled $9.7 billion at a 4 percent increase.

Holiday shoppers made December the most lucrative month of all. Sales of both the Wii and Xbox 360 were strong, but it was the Nintendo DS that posted the biggest December totals, with a staggering 2.5 million systems ending up under trees nationwide. Over on the PS3, December saw a strong rise, but the more expensive system still tailed its competition.

No prizes for guessing the top-selling game of the year, though: Halo 3 wound up shifting just short of 5 million copies.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

That's because most movies today suck.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
JonathanvonDoom wrote:

I agree 100%. There are only a handful of decent flicks coming out of Hollywood the past few years.

My netflix queue is full(500 movies), and at least 90% of those are foreign films.

Another reason for games killing the film industry is three relatively new consoles.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
JonathanvonDoom wrote:

I agree 100%. There are only a handful of decent flicks coming out of Hollywood the past few years.

My netflix queue is full(500 movies), and at least 90% of those are foreign films.

Another reason for games killing the film industry is three relatively new consoles.

You left out downloading.

Any film released into the cinema can be seen within days online via stream or download, sometimes even several months before their released. There are a few that can even be seen in DVD quality.

Piracy is fucking the movie industry almost as bad as the music.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Piracy is fucking the movie industry almost as bad as the music.

Not even close.

Theatrical releases online are shitty bootlegs made in theaters by kids who cant even keep the camera straight or even get the whole screen in the shot. I have I am Legend on my comp right now but its unwatchable because it shows only half the screen.

Yeah, there are some DVD quality versions that are either work prints or screeners, but those are in the minority. Only guaranteed good quality of movies online are those already released on DVD, and the DVD market is booming.

It will be many years before downloading hits the film industry like it has music. Nothing can top the theatrical experience, and people know it. Movie fanatics will continue to watch movies in the theater, and DVD nuts will continue buying DVDs.

Even IF downloading put a dent into it, it still wouldn't matter because theaters would be packed every night with people going out on dates. Someone taking their boyfriend/girlfriend to the movies is good old fashioned americana.

That aint changing anytime soon, regardless of some nerd recording a movie on his cam.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

It will be many years before downloading hits the film industry like it has music. Nothing can top the theatrical experience, and people know it. Movie fanatics will continue to watch movies in the theater, and DVD nuts will continue buying DVDs.

I agree, but the fact is, lots of people don't care, most kids a few years younger than me, don't care unless their taking their girlfriend, they'll just buy a pirate copy or download it.

As for "I Am Legend" if you had Veoh TV, you'd be able to watch it, in HD quality.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It'll be another big year for the gaming industry as well, with GTA4, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4(?) and that's just the known one's there's sure to be new games that'll take off as well. With Hollywood only really offering out dated sequels as their blockbusters this year I think the game industry will win again.

Board footer