You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: Libertad Fails - Will nuGNR follow?

NY Giants82 wrote:

The Greatest Hits album sold pretty well.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

There's no doubt anymore that it wont outsell Contraband. Downloading wasn't as out of control when CB was released. I dont remember the exact sales figures(not much of a VR fan), but didn't CB sell around 3 million copies? No way in hell will CD even come close to that. Thats nothing against GNR by saying that. Its reality. A band of men approaching fifty who haven't released anything is not going multi platinum. Even the name doesn't guarantee huge sales anymore. The name only guarantees a few articles in the media.

I would love to be proven wrong and CD somehow take off when its released, but I seriously don't see the record venturing any further than gold territory. With the right single it might hit platinum.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

The album sold well because it featured most of the original lineup's hits in one place for the people that didn't want to buy the whole collection or those that wanted to complete their collection.  If they had released the re-recorded AFD instead (and actually told people that's what it was), it wouldn't have sold nearly as well.

James

James wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah, and it was an album that only had tracks from the 87-93 era. Everyone knew that, and people bought it to add to their collection. The fact that the disc was 5 and 6 bucks everywhere most definitely helped sales.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think contraband sold like 4 million copies

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

The album sold well because it featured most of the original lineup's hits in one place for the people that didn't want to buy the whole collection or those that wanted to complete their collection.  If they had released the re-recorded AFD instead (and actually told people that's what it was), it wouldn't have sold nearly as well.

Right, and alot of people when they hear Guns N' Roses are releasing another album, will think the original band, or at least Axl and Slash. They arent as up on things in the GNR world as we are. If I had a nickel for everytime someone asked me if Slash was still in the band...

Curiosity will get to people. I think it would have an initial strong surge in sales, but it may drop real quick as well.

James

James wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I think it would have an initial strong surge in sales, but it may drop real quick as well.

We definitely agree on that. I would wager it gets 80% of its sales the first week and tanks after that. If it has a killer 1st single, sales might stay steady for a couple more weeks.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The material is too much album and not enough single imo. Only Better really sounds like a rock radio hit, and it doesn't sound like a big pop hit. The rest of it is kind of outdated, or at least not in the current trend.

It certainly will hit big and die off... unless Timbaland remixes TWAT after the album's been out a month. Hahaha, that would suck.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

I don't know, I think alot of people want to hear what Axl has up his sleeve. It's not like he's old, he's still relatively young (45), and his voice still has an audience (the ones I mentioned before, MTV, RS). It's definitely an uphill battle, but like James said, with the right first single, it could hit up sales well.

Just look at how many people comment on Axl and the new band -- whether it'd be the new songs on YouTube, the hundred Chinese Democracy articles on Rolling Stone.com, etc. His image will reflect record sales, I think. MTV will give him air time, no doubts there. That'll help. Fuse would also help though.

Libertad is a shit album and has nothing to do with GnR or how successful they will be (not Nu-GnR, there is no such thing, its like you're trying to associate it with nu-metal).

if you release shit music, of course its not going to do well.

Board footer