You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

James wrote:

Talk about hyping a movie.....

I don't even know if thats playing at one of my local theaters. I'll have to check. I mainly watch horror in the theater, but I guess that film could be one of my few exceptions.

I watched Happiness. Amazing film. Its about this dysfunctional family. Philip Seymour Hoffman does a great job at playing this pathetic loser afraid of women. This film has one of the most uncomfortable movie scenes I have ever watched. Its the scene where the father is talking with his young son about the boys he molested. Nothing graphic, its just the exchange between the two really makes you feel uneasy. The few scenes between the boy and his father are pretty disturbing, but that one is creepy.

James

James wrote:

I watched Sunshine tonight. Its one of those films last summer that flew under the radar. Its a cool sci fi flick, but bogs itself down halfway through. Its about this crew that goes to try and reignite a dying sun. Its great for the first half, and then the film seems to suffer an identity crisis. Does it want to be sci fi, or should it be suspense, drama, or about some rogue fanatical killer? This warped genre thing is what always made me interested in seeing this, but the formula doesn't work here.

I was really getting into this film, but it just lost me in the second half. I stopped caring about the mission they were on, and it didn't matter to me whether they were able to accomplish that mission.

James

James wrote:

I went to the late showing Of Juno tonight.  GREAT film. Not the type of film I usually like to go see in the theater, but I wasn't gonna pass up getting to see this flick, and wasn't gonna settle for a shitty bootleg. Ellen Page is amazing. I didn't think she could top her performance in Hard Candy, but she does. If she doesn't get the Oscar, then the Oscars are irrelevant.

Juno and No Country for Old Men are going to fight to the death on Oscar night. If I had to cast the deciding vote, I'm not sure I could do it.

I gotta go see There Will Be Blood, another film expected to rake in some Oscars. No way it tops Juno or No Country. If it does, my mind will be blown.

Hollywood is finally starting to release some masterpieces again. Keep up the good work.

Regarding Ellen Page, she is about to turn 21. Kicked ass in Hard Candy, Juno, and will probably do the same in An American Crime, but its time to go in a different direction and tackle some different roles. She's gonna have an amazing career, and its time to move past the teenage roles.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I went to the late showing Of Juno tonight.  GREAT film. Not the type of film I usually like to go see in the theater, but I wasn't gonna pass up getting to see this flick, and wasn't gonna settle for a shitty bootleg. Ellen Page is amazing. I didn't think she could top her performance in Hard Candy, but she does. If she doesn't get the Oscar, then the Oscars are irrelevant.

Juno and No Country for Old Men are going to fight to the death on Oscar night. If I had to cast the deciding vote, I'm not sure I could do it.

I gotta go see There Will Be Blood, another film expected to rake in some Oscars. No way it tops Juno or No Country. If it does, my mind will be blown.

Hollywood is finally starting to release some masterpieces again. Keep up the good work.

Regarding Ellen Page, she is about to turn 21. Kicked ass in Hard Candy, Juno, and will probably do the same in An American Crime, but its time to go in a different direction and tackle some different roles. She's gonna have an amazing career, and its time to move past the teenage roles.

Just curious, but have you seen all the other Best Actress nominees? If not, then you probably can't say that bolded part legitimately. tongue

As for the Oscars, no film was robbed more this year than Zodiac. That film is brilliant and didn't get a single nomination in any category. And it's all because it came out in early '07 rather than the fall. Norbit was even nominated for an Oscar while Zodiac wasn't. How effed up is that?! 16

James

James wrote:

I tried watching Away from Her awhile back but thought it was a snooze fest. Since I didn't finish the film, I guess I cant truthfully judge a specific performance in the film. Savages sounds interesting, but its not in theaters here and isn't on DVD yet either. I can immediately rule out Blanchett for Elizabeth as she has played a pretty much identical role before, and shouldn't have even been nominated.

La Mome is in my Netflix queue. Maybe I should move it to the top.

Regarding Zodiac, it might have received some rave reviews, but word of mouth went around about the film being VERY long and very little action regarding the Zodiac.

I am a big "fan" of the Zodiac, and I still haven't watched it. I'm also a fan of Fincher. I should probably move this up my queue as well.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

That's exactly the point of the Zodiac case. He didn't commit that many crimes. It was mostly about his taunting of the police and media, and more importantly the attempt to solve the case.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

That's exactly the point of the Zodiac case. He didn't commit that many crimes. It was mostly about his taunting of the police and media, and more importantly the attempt to solve the case.

The Zodiac committed possibly the most creepiest murder in history. To not put that on film is a travesty. It wasn't speculation either as one of the victims survived and told what happened.

I don't understand Fincher's reluctance to include it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The Zodiac committed possibly the most creepiest murder in history. To not put that on film is a travesty. It wasn't speculation either as one of the victims survived and told what happened.

I don't understand Fincher's reluctance to include it.

What are you talking about? The hooded attack where he wore an executioner outfit?

disguise.jpg

I assure you that it is in the film and is quite honestly the most frightening thing I've ever seen in a film. And it's not a horror movie but that scene is incredibly realistic and chilling. Actually, I'd go even further to say that it's painful to watch it because you know that the girl dies in real life and the stabbing is done in a very realistic fashion. Her screams as the boy is getting stabbed are very realistic as well. You can feel yourself there and the terror/pain that they're going through. The cinematography of the lake scenery is great as well. There are 4 crimes in the film itself:

1. Double murder attempt in a lover's lane at the very beginning of the movie. Gunshots. The girl dies, the boy lives to tell his story.

2. Double murder attempt at a recreational lake where he dresses up in an executioner's outfit. Knifed both victims. The boy lived, the girl died.

3. Single murder of a taxi cab driver with a gunshot to the head.

4. Kidnaps a woman and her baby after pretending to help her with a flat tire (that he causes); she escapes by jumping out of the moving vehicle.

The first 3 of those all occur within the first 30 minutes of the film. The 4th thing is randomly thrown in a little later. But for the most part, the final 2 hours of the film are about the investigation itself.

James

James wrote:

Oh shit, I had no idea that was in the film. The few reviews I read of Zodiac obviously were not very good. It was supposed to be very little on the Zodiac himself and no concentration on the crimes. Just the investigation.

I'm gonna move this to the top of my Netflix queue.

By the way, the Zodiac's final attempt at nabbing someone happened literally a few miles away from where I am right now.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Oh shit, I had no idea that was in the film. The few reviews I read of Zodiac obviously were not very good. It was supposed to be very little on the Zodiac himself and no concentration on the crimes. Just the investigation.

I'm gonna move this to the top of my Netflix queue.

By the way, the Zodiac's final attempt at nabbing someone happened literally a few miles away from where I am right now.

Is that the woman I'm talking about? Kathleen Johns? She had a baby with her. By the way, I'm getting some screencaps from the DVD for you.

Board footer