You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Could the tide be turning

Sky Dog wrote:

My wife ask me a few months ago..."Did he ever release that?"...true story and too funny considering I am a semi Axl nutswinger. tongue

ps...I don't think any of us are marketing experts, music industry insiders, or human behavioral experts so anyone's theory is as good as the next. lol

Monkeychow may be an expert in hieroglyphics and James may be a faerie like Sookie Stackhouse from Trueblood though.....:haha:

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
war wrote:

i havent heard one person say cd sold as much as i was hoping it would.

cd failed for about 8 or 9 reasons. why some of you want to turn a blind eye to those reasons or think it comes down to one reason is beyond me.

if they do things differently for cd2 it'll do as well as cd1 if not better.

irregardless, it would make sense financially for the label to release an album that they've already spent thousands (maybe millions) of dollars on and can recoup those costs and turn a minimum of a small profit from.

I agree with everything you said, except I don't believe CD2 would/will outdo CD.  I just don't see things changing that much as far as promotion, push, personal appearances, interviews, music videos, etc.  I think all, or at least some of those things would have to occur for sales to be better, especially considering album sales get fewer and fewer by the day.  How many ROCK albums have sold as well, if not better than CD since its release anyway?  I'd be surprised if it's more than a handful.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've met several people outside of these boards (but also on the internet) that thought CD had several good tracks, and almost in unison they actually cited the deeper cuts, like There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye, Sorry, Madagascar & This I Love.

I've met only one person in real life that bought CD, and the first thing they said was "god damn did it fucking suck. Contraband was better, and hated that piece of shit too".

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I know several people outside of the boards that bought and loved Chinese Democracy.

Either way, the fact remains that it's a good album and no amount of wishing on the part of people that didn't want it to succeed will change that.

The fact remains that whether it was a good album or not is subject to the listener and no amount of wishing on the part of the people who insist it was a great success will change that.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Bono wrote:

I know of only one person who bought CD and he didn't even know it had been released. He saw it in the store thought "a new Guns N' Roses cd?" and bought it. No listening to streams, no wondering about it, no nothing. he saw it and bought it. I guarantee you most "curious" purchaces happend this way.

You know how many times I've seen a  new relase I didn't know even existed and just bought it out of curiosity?  A LOT! Most people didnt' give a flying fuck to stream the album or to google search it or to search out what chain the album was being sold at. Most purchases likely came from impulse buys when people saw the damn thing in the new release section.

I don't know about all that, but I'm quite sure your avatar is going to cause somebody to have a seizure here eventually.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:

I know of only one person who bought CD and he didn't even know it had been released. He saw it in the store thought "a new Guns N' Roses cd?" and bought it. No listening to streams, no wondering about it, no nothing. he saw it and bought it. I guarantee you most "curious" purchaces happend this way.

You know how many times I've seen a  new relase I didn't know even existed and just bought it out of curiosity?  A LOT! Most people didnt' give a flying fuck to stream the album or to google search it or to search out what chain the album was being sold at. Most purchases likely came from impulse buys when people saw the damn thing in the new release section.

sounds like you are basing a very large and complicated clusterfuck, we call a saga

on...

1-2 persons experiences

that's deep  16

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I know several people outside of the boards that bought and loved Chinese Democracy.

Either way, the fact remains that it's a good album and no amount of wishing on the part of people that didn't want it to succeed will change that.

The fact remains that whether it was a good album or not is subject to the listener and no amount of wishing on the part of the people who insist it was a great success will change that.

but if the majority of people that heard it were subjectively favorable to it
and the majority of reviews were subjectively favorable to it.

then the reasons for it's underwhelming sales can objectively be pointed away from the album itself.

and pointed at several factors, of which many have listed, that doomed the sales of the album.

faldor wrote:
war wrote:

i havent heard one person say cd sold as much as i was hoping it would.

cd failed for about 8 or 9 reasons. why some of you want to turn a blind eye to those reasons or think it comes down to one reason is beyond me.

if they do things differently for cd2 it'll do as well as cd1 if not better.

irregardless, it would make sense financially for the label to release an album that they've already spent thousands (maybe millions) of dollars on and can recoup those costs and turn a minimum of a small profit from.

I agree with everything you said, except I don't believe CD2 would/will outdo CD.  I just don't see things changing that much as far as promotion, push, personal appearances, interviews, music videos, etc.  I think all, or at least some of those things would have to occur for sales to be better, especially considering album sales get fewer and fewer by the day.  How many ROCK albums have sold as well, if not better than CD since its release anyway?  I'd be surprised if it's more than a handful.

you're absolutely right. i was meaning it'll do similar sales - ballpark.

where you are wrong is the promotion piece.

touring succesfully, which they have been doing a lot of the last few years, will help get the potential buyers' attention and peak interest in a new album.

Bono

Bono wrote:
war wrote:
Bono wrote:

sounds like you are basing a very large and complicated clusterfuck, we call a saga

on...

1-2 persons experiences

that's deep  16.

Oh piss off with that shit. I'm using examples not basing it on 1 or 2 people. Fucking examples. Some of you really need to pull your heads out when it comes to using an example as compared to saying this is what my freinds did so it applies to everyone.  The point is if there are people who did this then there must be more. roll

Bono

Bono wrote:
war wrote:
Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

but if the majority of people that heard it were subjectively favorable to it.

No way in hell to even know that. For all we know the majority of poeple who heard it did NOT like it.  But again how woudl we even know that?  My post was simply in response to russtcb typical comment about people who didn't enjoy the album hoping for it's failure which of course isn't the case in all instances but that's how he views it

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

People should just go high level and look at the VR and nu-GNR trajectories. Millions of people loved old GNR and remained interested in what the alumni would come back with.

VR came out the gate first and started well. I agree with Monkey that VR2 was a sonic departure and added to their implosion but the sales were sooo small against VR1, that it has to be concluded that many just didn't want any more VR after VR1.

Same with nu-GNR. People wanted to hear what the most expensive cluster fuck album in history sounded like from the world's most enigmatic rock singer. It didn't meet the hype, it didn't set the charts on fire and it had no hits. Why would anybody thing CD2 will fare any better?

The lineup remains as anonomyous as ever, the crowd still really only go mental when the old stuff is played and Estranged blowing up gigs and the internet this year just proves that the world is not really here for CD material at all, they want the old stuff and the rest is just pleasant filler while they wait for the big guns.

To say VR and nu-GNR are totally different and cannot be compared is just too short sighted. To the average joe, VR and GNR 2011 are just two broken pieces of the whole picture. The world really wants the whole picture and is not really too interested in buying fully into bit parts of the old band that wrote the soundtrack to their youth.

VR and nu-GNR follow up albums are not being waited on by the world. Just the same way as Paul McCartney can't sell his solo shit now despite the fact that he was in the Beatles. Its the human condition, we move on.

Board footer