You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Detroit Lions Fans Furious About Nickelback Halftime Show

Axlin16 wrote:

I liked What's This Life For?, but this was the only other Creed song I just couldn't help but love.

Something just haunting about it to me. There's almost a creepy thing about it. For whatever reason when I hear it, I think about the extremity of human duality.

Weirdness, but I dig it.

russtcb wrote:

16 Nice.

Yeah, when shit like "With Arms Wide Open" was out people were doing the same thing to me; going ON and ON about how "timeless" and "classic" the tune was. And I kept being like "Nooooooo, it's neither of those things. At best, it's this decades 'Every Rose' and it's probably not even THAT good" 16

But yeah, the Nickelback thing is stemming mostly from the fact that people are over them. Nickelback has maybe 2-3 radio hits that I don't mind all the much. Photograph and Someday come to mind and I think there's a third one I don't mind but I can't remember the name of it.

I saw them once because they were headlining at the Hard Rock at Universal Studios in Orlando with Cantrell opening so I stuck around the watch them afterward. They were mediocre at best, no feeling, no connection with the crowd, etc. That's why I'm against them trying to entertain 78k at Ford Field.

I couldn't help but like Rockstar. I had a friend who LOVED Nickleback when they first hit the scene and told me how they were the next Guns N' Roses. This was in 2001-02 area. He played me some piece of crap, "get your pants around your knees" bullshit or something, and was telling me how it was Nickelback's "It's So Easy".

I was in total shock he even said something that retarded. I think played him a bootleg of Rio III, "It's So Easy" and said "that's the closest thing to Guns N' Roses today". I politely disagree... but honestly dude -- they sound like they are a Creed-copycat. And Creed themselves were a producer-created bubblegum streamlined version of Pearl Jam.

Needless to say... he was pissed. This was right before the Nickelback rocket took off.

I remember laughing my ass off when Jerry Cantrell, can't remember if it was Creed or Nickelback, I think it was Creed, but either way he opened their shows, kinda as a show of solidarity in the rock community 'cause so many in the grunge world were just really hating on those post-grunge bands at the time as 'frauds'.

Cantrell goes out on tour and is NEVER made to feel welcome, despite being a supposed "reason we got into this". Jerry said he never even saw the band, and was basically treated like a no-name kid opening act, by CREED of all people.

I think he later said he totally regretted being associated with them. And what did Creed fanboys do? Go on and on how Jerry was an old man and just jealous that Creed was NOW and Alice In Chains was yesterday's news. Within a year or two Creed disbanded. Go figure.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Never been a fan of AIC

Don't GET IT.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I'll always stand by Creed's first 3 albums.. Scott's doucheness kind of ruined that band, but the quality of those 3 albums is undeniable.

My favorite is a song called "Hide" off their third album

Agree on Nickelback being the most annoying/terrible/shit band I've ever heard.

Creed though, were awesome.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

I'll always stand by Creed's first 3 albums.. Scott's doucheness kind of ruined that band, but the quality of those 3 albums is undeniable.

My favorite is a song called "Hide" off their third album

Agree on Nickelback being the most annoying/terrible/shit band I've ever heard.

Creed though, were awesome.

-D- wrote:

Never been a fan of AIC

Don't GET IT.

I wouldn't expect you to "get it" D. 22

-D-

-D- wrote:

I think they are one of the most overrated bands in history of music. just my opinion.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

No... that would be U2.

WHOA, look out.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
-D- wrote:

I think they are one of the most overrated bands in history of music. just my opinion.

This is worthy of a ban.  16

Layne wrote some of the most emotionally raw lyrics about despair that I have ever heard.  And he sang them with such emotion.  And that voice, who knew that could come out of some 100lb dude.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

That alone is better than anything Bon Jovi has ever done. I second a ban.:butt:

Even if you think the music sucks they are not overrated. They are about what they should be in terms of hits and exposure. In fact, considering they have an OD'd singer they're actually kinda underrated.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Cantrell goes out on tour and is NEVER made to feel welcome, despite being a supposed "reason we got into this". Jerry said he never even saw the band, and was basically treated like a no-name kid opening act, by CREED of all people.

I've never heard that, but it's funny, and based on my Creed experience I could easily see it:  I saw them about 6 month before they were the biggest band in the world.  I think they had one single starting to get quite a bit of airplay, but that was all.  About the same time, the sodapop "Surge" had just come out, and must have been sponsoring the tour.  The show sold so poorly that if you showed up at the door with two labels from bottles of Surge, they'd let you in.

It was a package tour, Creed/Fuel/The Gandharvas.  I ended up with a backstage pass, and was back there all night.  Watched Gandharvas from the side of the stage, then shot the shit with them.  Which ended up with them and Fuel feeding us beers and shooting the shit with us all night.  As the other two bands were playing and/or hanging out we never saw Creed at all. 

After Creed played, we did run into Scott Stapp for a second.  My buddy says to him, "Hey can we get a picture quick?".  He says "No, I gotta find somebody.", and he walked away. 

Honestly, if he'd have blown us off like that when they were the biggest band in the world, it wouldn't haver bothered me, but for him to have done it when you could get into the show with two $.99 bottles of pop he should have been kissing our ass for giving enough of a shit to ask.
------

All that said (and actually on topic for the thread) I've never gotten why Nickelback and Creed get as much shit as they do.  I don't care for either of them, but they're just generic poppy rock bands.  There's been a million before them, there'll be a million after them.  At least they play instruments and write songs, that's way better than a lot of nationally televised halftime shows I've seen over the years.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer