You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: VR update

Scabbie wrote:

Just heard on Planet Rock news that Slash has said they're due to spend time with a couple of singers next month (won't say who).

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring for the VR frontman gig. CD's in the mail.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For real Von? Don't forget us if you get the gig!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Be interesting to see where it goes...Myles is much better on VR tracks than he is on GNR tracks...so whoever gets the job has to kind of top both that and scott to make any sense.

So someone in a new style would be logical but then they also need to play the back catalogue....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I really think they need to just get an Axl-soundalike. Stop fucking around trying to re-invent yourself and just be Guns N' Roses without Axl, and do exactly what Axl's been trying to do since 1999.

It'd be interesting what the music would sound like. We might actually get dual Guns N' Roses albums each year or two.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Von wrote:

I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring for the VR frontman gig. CD's in the mail.

Best of luck man!

Imagine the badassness of that if you got it!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I know Myles in VR ain't happening...but the thing is as much as not everyone likes his GNR covers...his covers of the VR songs themselves are pretty good....like Slither, Sucker Train Blues, Dirty Little Thing....the VR back catalogue...it's sort of bizzare they didn't go with him.

You'd put it down to maybe them not trusting him to write except that Slash is working on a whole goddamn album with him....odd....I guess someone else didn't feel it.

Personally...I think Myles with VR could have worked. Most people who have an issue with him have it on the GNR tracks - like civil war/scom etc - and sure VR could bust these out live sometimes but it would be no worse than Scott's version of brownstone and patience surely....but the meat and bones of what he'd be doing would be singing the VR catalogue which he's fine with...and then a new album which would basicly be what we're going to get now as a slash album...except it would have also been with matt and duff....

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I really think they need to just get an Axl-soundalike. Stop fucking around trying to re-invent yourself and just be Guns N' Roses without Axl, and do exactly what Axl's been trying to do since 1999.

It'd be interesting what the music would sound like. We might actually get dual Guns N' Roses albums each year or two.

Yeah i've been thinking that for a while.

It's why slash's solo shit is kicking ass. He's back to being Slash from GNR.

I'm actually a huge VR fan - but at the same time - the problem with it was always the minimisation of slash's playing and scott trying to make the GNR guys into something they arn't.

Contraband tour had some badass songs, but at the end of the day..seeing the current Slash tour is much closer to seeing 1993 Slash...than 2005 was....he's back to showing off his playing and kicking ass.

But I guess the challange would be getting someone who can sound-alike enough but still write good new songs. As slash needs to tour endlessly. So he'd need a new album every 2-3 years pretty much.

But yeah VR generally acting more GNR like would be the secret I think. It's 3/5 of UYI ffs...if they get someone who can cover any GNR track and any VR track and then write a new album..the catalogue alone would make it one of the baddest outfits around.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Yeah, why not.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Slightly OTT...but I figured it was worth mentioning here rather than a new thread.

There's an interview with Slash on the Made in Stoke BD and he talks about how he met Myles.

He says that Matt wanted myles before scott joined VR, but that Miles never sent back the audition tapes because of personal issues at the time, then when scott left matt again suggested mlyes  they asked myles but he was busy with alterbridge and they didn't want to break up that band.

So then slash does his solo album, sends off a track to myles, goes well, so sends another, so he asks him to do it live, they have chemestry so now they're writing the whole new album together....

But my thoughts are, how shit must that be for Matt?

Can't feel too sorry for him as he's played in GNR, The Cult, had more women than i've even seen on TV etc, but still, that does suck a bit....like he was pushing to get myles in VR...and then slash ends up using him for the solo project.

Board footer