You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Great to hear you had a good time, neemo. What did Ron say?

And, fwiw, I don't think DJ was a better fit than Robin. I think they're both different, which is good, but they both fit their parts and brought something good. And, as of right now, Robin brought in/was a part of some great original GN'R material.

The only person that matters for GN'R's future or present is Axl. No one else matters to the public. The only person who mattered anything to anyone outside of Axl in the scheme of things was Slash. Buckethead was the only who could have possibly filled another spotlight. But it is what it is now.

You might not think that, but I think all of us Robin/Bucket fans are biased.

There's just no way it's true.

Audiences, the ones that matter (not the nerds), obviously prefer their GN'R with guys like Slash, DJ & Ron.

They're more easily accessible. Robin was fucking horrendous with fans, and part of Bucket's schtick was to remain silent. It pissed people off, including celebs who went backstage to talk with the band during the 2002 shows and were met with a freakshow even off-stage.

Kudos for Axl trying to completely reboot GN'R into something totally different, but long term... NO WAY that would've worked.

DJ could be Gilby Clarke v2.0 and he's automatically better suited for the role than Robin.

Audience reaction alone pretty much confirm it.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Axlin08 wrote:

Audiences, the ones that matter (not the nerds), obviously prefer their GN'R with guys like Slash, DJ & Ron.

They're more easily accessible. Robin was fucking horrendous with fans, and part of Bucket's schtick was to remain silent. It pissed people off, including celebs who went backstage to talk with the band during the 2002 shows and were met with a freakshow even off-stage.

I thought it was supposed to be about the 'art'. Why does the reaction of a concert going audience mandate a particular line up? Ron and DJ have had a very limited participation in the writing process and ultimately that will decide whether this line up stacks up to the group that wrote Chinese. The songs that DJ/Ron are currently covering.

I personally thought the Bucket-Finck iteration was a much more solid band. There were chemistry issues, but there was always something to watch with both guys. Bucket himself was a show onto himself.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
killingvector wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be about the 'art'. Why does the reaction of a concert going audience mandate a particular line up? Ron and DJ have had a very limited participation in the writing process and ultimately that will decide whether this line up stacks up to the group that wrote Chinese. The songs that DJ/Ron are currently covering.

I personally thought the Bucket-Finck iteration was a much more solid band. There were chemistry issues, but there was always something to watch with both guys. Bucket himself was a show onto himself.

Yes, this is basically what I was saying. If you mean its good for fans that want to read interviews by GN'R guitarists, or want to meet the band, yes, Ron and DJ are better for you in that way.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i honestly beleive that the difference in talent between bumble and bucket is negligable. but i beleive that Ron has a better grasp on how a song actually goes together. Bucket is the definition of a guitar virtuoso. hes like a yngwie or guthrie...bumble thrives better in a band dynamic i think

as for Robin vs DJ

My personal preferences only being reflected here

DJ is a throwback to 80's-early 90's rock in attitude and style (Skidrow, Crue, GnR etc etc) which i love, Robin is more Goth Industrial which i hate

DJ is more fan and media freindly than Robin.

DJ, in my opinion, is just better suited to the role as gnr lead guitarist far as personality and talent is concerned

and final nail in the coffin....ROBIN AND BUCKET BOTH BAILED ON GNR....DJ AND RON ARE THE CURRENT GNR GUITARISTS....THIS LINEUP IS ABSOLUTELY KICKING ASS RIGHT NOW IN A LIVE SETTING....

I've seen GnR in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011... these past 2 years have been the best the post slash era of GnR has sounded in a live setting

doesnt make everyone elses opinion wrong...its just mine

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

For media purposes I agree with you that they're both better at promotion, but I really don't think any significant number of people will care if it's Robin or DJ up there next to Axl. As I said before, the only person opposite Axl that meant/means anything is and will always be Slash. And again, Buckethead had started growing a cult following with GN'R, and if GN'R was a competent organization when he was in the band, at least to the extent they are now, Bucket would have been a household name and an icon in pop culture. I don't think it would reach the level of Slash, but he would have been huge and would have drawn people to GN'R and given the band a totally different identity, which the line up had in 2002.

I hope more people see the current line up as a band, and I think that Ron and DJ are not only positive influences, but also media savy and will help at promotion and hopefully that will help put a new face on the band that people will recognize. But I don't see them being any better than Bucket and Robin for the future success of GN'R. It's very obvious that rests solely and 100% on the shoulders of Axl Rose and nobody else. And he hasn't done a very good job of it in the last 10 years. But I'm very happy where the band is now. 2002 could have been hugely successful, and imo, bigger than what they can accomplish now. But, I'm happy, the band is rolling and everything seems to be going fantastic and I'm once again optimistic for the future of the band. Something I haven't been for quite a while. And that's all that matters.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i honestly beleive that the difference in talent between bumble and bucket is negligable. but i beleive that Ron has a better grasp on how a song actually goes together. Bucket is the definition of a guitar virtuoso. hes like a yngwie or guthrie...bumble thrives better in a band dynamic i think

as for Robin vs DJ

My personal preferences only being reflected here

DJ is a throwback to 80's-early 90's rock in attitude and style (Skidrow, Crue, GnR etc etc) which i love, Robin is more Goth Industrial which i hate

DJ is more fan and media freindly than Robin.

DJ, in my opinion, is just better suited to the role as gnr lead guitarist far as personality and talent is concerned

and final nail in the coffin....ROBIN AND BUCKET BOTH BAILED ON GNR....DJ AND RON ARE THE CURRENT GNR GUITARISTS....THIS LINEUP IS ABSOLUTELY KICKING ASS RIGHT NOW IN A LIVE SETTING....

I've seen GnR in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011... these past 2 years have been the best the post slash era of GnR has sounded in a live setting

doesnt make everyone elses opinion wrong...its just mine

I absolutely completely agree with this. Totally!

killingvector

misterID wrote:

For media purposes I agree with you that they're both better at promotion, but I really don't think any significant number of people will care if it's Robin or DJ up there next to Axl. As I said before, the only person opposite Axl that meant/means anything is and will always be Slash. And again, Buckethead had started growing a cult following with GN'R, and if GN'R was a competent organization when he was in the band, at least to the extent they are now, Bucket would have been a household name and an icon in pop culture. I don't think it would reach the level of Slash, but he would have been huge and would have drawn people to GN'R and given the band a totally different identity, which the line up had in 2002.

I hope more people see the current line up as a band, and I think that Ron and DJ are not only positive influences, but also media savy and will help at promotion and hopefully that will help put a new face on the band that people will recognize. But I don't see them being any better than Bucket and Robin for the future success of GN'R. It's very obvious that rests solely and 100% on the shoulders of Axl Rose and nobody else. And he hasn't done a very good job of it in the last 10 years. But I'm very happy where the band is now. 2002 could have been hugely successful, and imo, bigger than what they can accomplish now. But, I'm happy, the band is rolling and everything seems to be going fantastic and I'm once again optimistic for the future of the band. Something I haven't been for quite a while. And that's all that matters.

I think Bucket would have been a huge presence in this band if he stuck around to play his own songs.

Ron is certainly capable and a nice guy, but he lacks star power. I also loathe his solo material. That is something I cannot say about Bucket.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I firmly disagree with the Robin bashing.

If memory serves me correct he has seven co-writing credits on Chinese Democracy.

I am not talking the albums line notes that are not right. I remember a thread being all about the real credits.

Robin was accessible during NIN's last tour, from pictures I saw.

Robin to added a seriousness to GN'R and the guy is a talented songwriter and someone that is non-flashy.

DJ embodies what I hate. He just comes off too contrived and is trying too hard by putting on a big show.

The real reason on why Robin Finck left hasn't been given.

And I really think it is total bullshit to say that Buckethead and Robin Finck bailed for no reason on the band. How can you lose two of your guitarists from your revamped line up and in my opinion the axe falls on Axl for that one.

The band in my firm opinion has been taken down a notch without Robin on board. Bad enough Buckethead left.

Yeah they put on a good live show apparently. But the two lead guitarists (Sorry Ron, I do actually like you), are covering superior musicians work.

Also you don't see DJ jumping into the crowd like Robin did in 2006.

I'll take Crab dancing over an asshole smoking a cigarette with a top hat trying way too hard to be from the 80s and like Slash any day, thanks!

killingvector

Great post, Sunshinekid. I find it hard to disagree with a single point.

Finck was a monster in '06. He and Axl carried that tour to the point where DJ is simply following that shadow at this point. DJ is a damn nice guy and good to the fans, but R ob i n was an immense presence five years ago. His departure hurt a lot. Bucket's stung me harder though.

Board footer