You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: When's Album?

misterID wrote:

^^ That's the Steven problem, Aussie.  That's exactly what I fear will happen.

And I wouldn't worry too much about lack of chemistry or anything. If Axl and Duff were on stage together for an entire set, there would be interaction. But I can't ever remember a lot of interaction beteen Duff and Axl during the old days, either.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's a good point. There never was. There was more interaction with Slash & Izzy.

AtariLegend wrote:

There was more interaction between Axl and Duff at Vanc. than Sea.

A bit anyway. Axl got angry for a min. after Duff was fnished, the effects guy weren't shining a light on Duff in the dark from one of the youtube videos.

I really think Adler will be the one to stir the pot, if Axl and Slash offer passive resistance to each other.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Problem with the HOF thing is if Axl really isn't into it and just doing it because it's what the fans want and he knows he'll look the villain if he doesn't show, that in itself could kill any chemistry.

If they get there with no talking before hand Im sure the tension will be easily visible and it will probably result in a flat performance.  People will then use that to say they can never recapture the magic, the new lineup is better etc etc. 

Whilst it's probably true they will never recapture what was there 25 years ago, any reunion performance should only be judged with the motivation behind it in mind.  If Axl is backed into a corner to do the HOF chances are it will show.  Same deal if there was ever a full blown reunion, if it was only to milk the money, they hadn't really sorted out any personal differences etc, no desire for quality new music etc, I'm sure that would result in largely lacklustre performances too.

Good post. I'm almost sure that Slash wouldn't want to perform for the same reason. A one-off 2 song show is just not what a reunion should be. Be it all or nothing. I think nobody, except Steven is interested in a one-off half-assed show that would only hurt the GN'R legacy. I think that getting five (seven) of them on the same stage getting the award is all we can hope for. But it's a realistic dream.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I think Axl will get around them, all jokes will start, they'll reminscence, and suddenly Axl will make eye-contact with Slash on stage during Jungle and crack a smile.

God I'd love to see that. Axl smiling at Slash. I've often thought if these guys could all hang and reminiscence like that we'd see something go down. But would it even be like that day, or would Axl be kept secluded from everyone so nothing could upset him prior to the show.

Axlin12 wrote:

I think if he keeps finger poking Axl and being antagonistic about a reunion, Axl will just go "i'm not going out there, if he's there".

Ahh the steven issue. It's interesting, Axl must all ready struggle with it to a point - as he said in steven's mind he holds the key to steven's happiness.

The question is, would the others fuck steve again. Not that he isn't a dick at times, and not that he wasn't a junkie. But I recon as you get older that decision to chuck him from the band has to weigh harder and harder. It's a childhood friend. And as a junkie yourself you punished him for being a worse junkie. He was so upset that he spiralled even worse into the very hell you were condemning him for and where you're lucky to get out of yourself.  Then for the rest of his life you've listened to him pleading and wanting to go back to what you had together, and now it's hard to be in a room with him without seeing the physical effects of what he's done to himself and what you helped do to him by leaving him with nothing.

I mean Slash and Steve were childhood friends who grew up wanting to be rockstars. Then they did it. They actually did it. Imagine that. Then steve gets thrown out. I'm sure he deserved it...but on a friendship level you'd feel like a dick for that move (and to a lesser extent I do wonder why he couldn't have been forced into rehabs a bit more and a temp guy filling in if he didn't get his shit together. I mean we know he didn't but he had no motivation to live after being chucked out of guns and neither would I).

Anyway excuse the rant, but here's what interests me about this situation. I think you're right that Steven is his own worst enemy about the reunion and breaking Ax's balls over it in the media makes it less likely. At the same time everyone knows he's the reunion guy of the group. If Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy play without him on stage together. I think that might be the straw that kills him. The reunion has been his only hope for a long time. Surely they know this. And i'm not sure they'd do it to him at this stage.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I honestly think they'd break him in a second dude. I really do.

I don't even think the Hall would allow it.

You telling me that everybody is gonna be cool with NO GN'R performance, versus having the 1991 band up there, simply because nobody can put a fucking muzzle on the junkie?

Jann Wenner would buy the fucking crack and dangle it under his nose to get that done.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Problem with the HOF thing is if Axl really isn't into it and just doing it because it's what the fans want and he knows he'll look the villain if he doesn't show, that in itself could kill any chemistry.

If they get there with no talking before hand Im sure the tension will be easily visible and it will probably result in a flat performance.  People will then use that to say they can never recapture the magic, the new lineup is better etc etc. 

Whilst it's probably true they will never recapture what was there 25 years ago, any reunion performance should only be judged with the motivation behind it in mind.  If Axl is backed into a corner to do the HOF chances are it will show.  Same deal if there was ever a full blown reunion, if it was only to milk the money, they hadn't really sorted out any personal differences etc, no desire for quality new music etc, I'm sure that would result in largely lacklustre performances too.

Good post. I'm almost sure that Slash wouldn't want to perform for the same reason. A one-off 2 song show is just not what a reunion should be. Be it all or nothing. I think nobody, except Steven is interested in a one-off half-assed show that would only hurt the GN'R legacy. I think that getting five (seven) of them on the same stage getting the award is all we can hope for. But it's a realistic dream.

Who says a one-off would need to be half-assed? Pink Floyd pulled off the most incredible 25 minutes ever with a simple one-off show for charity. Honestly, that's what I would like to see happen with GN'R as well. One final magic moment and then the fire burns out forever. Floyd weren't on good terms at the time of that show, but they chose to bury the hatchet for a few days to make an impact on a charitable cause.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Who says a one-off would need to be half-assed? Pink Floyd pulled off the most incredible 25 minutes ever with a simple one-off show for charity. Honestly, that's what I would like to see happen with GN'R as well. One final magic moment and then the fire burns out forever. Floyd weren't on good terms at the time of that show, but they chose to bury the hatchet for a few days to make an impact on a charitable cause.

They'd need a few weeks of rehearsing to get that GN'R feel again. Add that Axl doesn't like to rehearse and hates Slash, it'd be very risky to see him first on the ceremony when they go to the stage for the performance.
A 2-song 'reunion show' would be risky even with intensive rehearsing. Axl can have a bad day, Steven can overdose himself in the excitment, Izzy can drive his truck 2 states away, Slash can be nervous and fuck up some notes... Too much risk with what income? They wouldn't gain much, except another 15 minutes of fame, that would be there even with a single reunion photo.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah but everything you said is what MADE the REAL Guns N' Roses -- Guns N' Fuckin' Roses!!!

That element of surprise and danger, and will they or won't they?

Them being a "glorious fuck up" is why they are in the Hall of Fame.

The only thing that could ever possibly take away from it would be if 2002 Axl showed up to perform with the 1986-1991 band.

Ewwww...

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The more I think about it, the more questionable I think a one-night reunion like that is anyway - it's like going and fucking your ex wife or something for the hell of it one night then going back where you are now. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's either going to be better than what exists now in which case it will traumatise us all, or it's going to suck which will piss on the good memories of what was and traumatise us all.

I'd rather have a real reunion one day when Axl and Slash patch it up and WANT to play together and recapture that magic, or if that day doesn't come, then maybe nothing. Just seems so forced. If it wasn't for this awards ceremony they wouldn't be considering it.

Thank you for totally stealing my joke (except in a more PG way).  16

I agree that 2012 will either be great or a total fucking train wreck.  You have the RRHOF, new management (though I wouldn't classify them as inexperienced, these guys have been on the sidelines watching and helping for well over a decade), and the potential for current members to walk out. 

Totally agree with Bono that it is a travesty to see a talent like Axl's put away for so long.  Hopefully Beta managing GNR can let Axl get to a place where he can trust the business end is being covered in his and the band's best interest (as in the manager isn't saying "So let's call Slash..." every minute) and he can get to that creative place again and focus on the music. 

That's my hope.

Board footer