You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Libertad vs. Chinese Democracy, Round V

misterID wrote:

And to mikka, since the For a Brother Vs IRS thread was closed out before I could respond... It's not about being biased, whatever that means. I've been pretty fair to VR. But riffs really don't make a song to me. They are WAYYYYYY more important to you an some others like D. But the fact that IRS beat FAB shows I can't be that biased wink

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nothing wrong with that, Tyler. I love Prostitute. I think its one of Axl's best moments.

But I've heard a remix of Prostitute, might have been Axlin's, where it starts out with the piano and synths. And another mix started out with just the opening guitar riff, and holy hell those were fantastic. There's some great string arrangements there also.

Kind of shows me that Prostitute wasn't mixed properly to take it to it's full potential. If it would have taken a less is more approach, with less guitar and drum loops, it would be one of my top 5 GN'R songs, possibly top 3. Right now it's in my top 10.

Wow, somebody remembered it. Thanks for the shout out.

Here it is for anyone that wants a refresher...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KMQJ6B8G

Basically I just brought forward and highlighted the stuff that was so strong in it. More of Axl's piano for an extended intro. Bucket's brief but sweet solo was highlighted more, and the outro had the added string sections to lock it out just for those who didn't get to hear it.

There was SO much great stuff buried in that song.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nothing wrong with that, Tyler. I love Prostitute. I think its one of Axl's best moments.

But I've heard a remix of Prostitute, might have been Axlin's, where it starts out with the piano and synths. And another mix started out with just the opening guitar riff, and holy hell those were fantastic. There's some great string arrangements there also.

Kind of shows me that Prostitute wasn't mixed properly to take it to it's full potential. If it would have taken a less is more approach, with less guitar and drum loops, it would be one of my top 5 GN'R songs, possibly top 3. Right now it's in my top 10.

Basically I just brought forward and highlighted the stuff that was so strong in it. More of Axl's piano for an extended intro. Bucket's brief but sweet solo was highlighted more, and the outro had the added string sections to lock it out just for those who didn't get to hear it.

Thanks mate

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

And to mikka, since the For a Brother Vs IRS thread was closed out before I could respond... It's not about being biased, whatever that means. I've been pretty fair to VR. But riffs really don't make a song to me. They are WAYYYYYY more important to you an some others like D. But the fact that IRS beat FAB shows I can't be that biased wink

The biased comment was reflecting you saying that everything on CD blows Libertad away. Although, as I stated, I think CD is the better album, but it's a song vs song survivor, and it'd be early to declare winners before the fight. I think saying that everything on CD is better than anything on Libertad screams for bias. Cause there is some horrible stuff on CD, and some great on Libertad.

I've just listened IRS, and it's worse than I remembered. Axl is amazing, BH's solo is amazing, that vicious chorus riff is amazing, but the rest is so bad, that no wonder I cant listen that song. Robin's guitar is out of tune, and his playing makes it even less bearable. That repeated slow intro part sounds like a 5-year old wrote it, pretty childish. That song could have been a damned great song, but got ruined. Still sounds like a demo to me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

See, I think that comes down to taste though. I love IRS, love the acoustic breakdowns, Tommy's bass, Robin has some cool wha-wha moments that are buried in it. I understand not liking his solo and some of the guitar parts, but that could be Paul Huge, too. Some of it could have been removed, like other CD songs. But I love it as is.

I think Libertad is miles better musically than Contraband, but I still wouldn't take a song from it over anything on CD. Thta's just my opinion.

The only weak link on CD for me is Riad. Which is weird as it's one of the songs the critics loved. Kind of like a James Lofton effect 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I also want to say because that Prostitute remix is on here...

That when I tried to remix I.R.S. -- what a fucking minefield it was to wade through.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to make that song better, or highlight different things about it. What you hear is what you get.

What's a shame is somewhere underneath it was an amazing acoustic version that was buried by a bunch of unnecessary junk.

About the only shining moment is Bucket's guitar solo, that doesn't even feel like it fits the song.

Just very average. Not as bad as Riad tho.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think Libertad is miles better musically than Contraband

I've heard a few people say that, but I'm just not hearing it.

Contraband is full of great riffing and solos (even if they are short), whereas Libertad sounds really uninspired and bland for the most part, aside from maybe 2-3 songs.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think Libertad is miles better musically than Contraband

I've heard a few people say that, but I'm just not hearing it.

Contraband is full of great riffing and solos (even if they are short), whereas Libertad sounds really uninspired and bland for the most part, aside from maybe 2-3 songs.

I don't see much difference between those albums in quality, but more in the style. Contraband is an angry, energic modern rock album with a lot of similar songs that makes it  unbearable (for me) to listen it from Suckertrain to LTA. The sound is really muddy and some songs really one-dimensioned - and too much songs sound the same.
However, Libertad is much more colourful. Less energy, but more music and groove, I can listen it through from Let It Roll to Dime. Only 1 or 2 songs are annoying, the rest is mediocre to good.
On the other hand Contraband has great songs (Slither, YGNR, Superhuman, Set Me Free), some other strong ones, but a lot of weak tracks. Slash's riffing is stronger on CB, but he gets more space for solos on Libertad (but his one-takes aren't always that great). Scott is annoying almost everywhere, but he's even worse on Libertad (SBQM anyone?).

So both albums could have been better, if at least Slash's mind were there. I think he didn't really want to work with Scott, but had enough of the singer search.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
misterID wrote:

indeed... love it, man

AtariLegend wrote:

Don't Drop That Dime is eliminated, voting closed.

Once again failed to live video on quick search, so here instead is new VR with Sucker Train Blues

Board footer