You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: VR to reunite with Scott for 'A Concert For John O'Brien'

Von wrote:

Epically awesome news. One of my favorite vocalists/frontmen of all time reuniting with (arguably) his most underrated act. I mean no disrespect to any of you Gunners, but to some of us, it was just as much about Scott's involvement. If not more. I never wanted a VR continuing without Scott. (Unless it was with me!) But seriously awesome news, even if it's a "one-off" for now.

Von

Von wrote:

And Scott's voice is hardly limited and quite elastic and versatile. He may not be your preferred choice of hard rock vocalist, but that's my least favorite side of his persona anyway. His melodies are untouchable and one of his greatest assets. And his lyrics? Admittedly not for everyone. But to me, David Bowie is God. And so you see, Scott Weiland can in turn do virtually no wrong. I have the awkward scenario of GN'R being my favorite band, but the rest of the music I listen to tends to be much more rooted in that wildly 70s glam/funk/soul/art rock thing. Scott stepped in and turned a bunch of half-filled club playing ex-Gunners into an arena-ready, slithering, sexy, cool beast. Corey Taylor is none of those things. Myles Kennedy is none of those things. And maybe none of those are things you want associated with your GN'R-lite. But I like(d) VR very much.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I love Bowie's works, but Scott is not the young David. I'm not a huge STP fan, but he was a much better writer back then. In VR he wrote the worst cock rock shit this century has heard, sang in half of the old Ozzy's vocal range and acted like an Axl Rose 2. Scott Weiland is Robin Finck as a singer. Nuff said.

I do respect your opinion though. But you'll never convince me that he can sing or anything unique. Never. Not the Izzy/Duff low-level part-time singer, but quite average, light years from the Freddie/Axl/Bowie zone.

Von

Von wrote:

Fair enough. I respect your own stance on it, and appreciate that you concede his superior writing in STP as opposed to VR. (I wholeheartedly agree.) I'm sorry I took your post more as a general criticism of Weiland than of Weiland as frontman of VR, which are two decidedly different things. I think he echoes Bowie best in his solo output, and I do prefer later STP (band's best album is still Shangri-La Dee Da). Cheers!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Scott, used to be one of the very best front men around.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll say this

I do home health Physical therapy which requires me to drive bout 2-3 hours per day so i listen to a shit load of music:
I got a playlist with AFD and Contraband together and let me say this: Contraband isn't as good but it does have a very similar "ENERGY" about it.

it fires me the fuck up everytime i hear it.

So Im all for a reunion

Lotta bands have a Sophomore Slump.. Would love to hear them do another album together. that dude they are auditioning now is fucking terrible. Seriously

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah no shit. I'm not really sure why all of them have such an ecletic taste for rock singers, for basically a straight-forward rock band. VR doesn't need David Bowie, because it's all wrong for what they are (sorry Von). They need Scott Weiland to be Scott Weiland, and as this point short of getting back with Axl at the HOF reunion, I don't really see any option left for VR at this point other than reuniting with Scott. They've been trying for years at this point to reboot with a different singer, and have literally gotten nowhere.

As for Contraband's continued replayability, i'm not sure. I played it on my PS3 the other day, which is the first time i've listened to the album in full from start-to-finish IN YEARS, and maybe it might've been because I was pre-occupied working, but the whole thing seemed to not age well.

I'm gonna try to listen to it again, and really feel it and see how I feel again.

One thing I remembered thinking while listening originally, and stays true today -- "the second half of that album is alot better than the first".

Von wrote:

And Scott's voice is hardly limited and quite elastic and versatile. He may not be your preferred choice of hard rock vocalist, but that's my least favorite side of his persona anyway. His melodies are untouchable and one of his greatest assets. And his lyrics? Admittedly not for everyone. But to me, David Bowie is God. And so you see, Scott Weiland can in turn do virtually no wrong. I have the awkward scenario of GN'R being my favorite band, but the rest of the music I listen to tends to be much more rooted in that wildly 70s glam/funk/soul/art rock thing. Scott stepped in and turned a bunch of half-filled club playing ex-Gunners into an arena-ready, slithering, sexy, cool beast. Corey Taylor is none of those things. Myles Kennedy is none of those things. And maybe none of those are things you want associated with your GN'R-lite. But I like(d) VR very much.

Well yeah and no. I know Scott Weiland is a huge influence on you (probably because Bowie was an influence on him) and your vocal stylings you can tell it very much.

So this isn't meant to degrade Scott, but his melodies are very touchable. His lyrics are average outside of STP, and he's not even the best vocalist of his generation. Frontman-wise though, short of Axl, or calling Chris Cornell or Eddie Vedder (obviously not gonna happen) VR can't do much better. Weiland is a total stud frontman. He just has that "it" factor that makes frontmen memorable. Nobody that VR has considered since Scott, has even came close to that aspect. Sure they have some vocalists there, but nobody that has that thing that puts them over. Maybe VR & Scott just needed a break from each other.

I actually was always on the fence about Scott being in the band. I just thought that Scott didn't bring his best to VR. They had flashes of "the best", but STP's Scott was missing from VR, for whatever reason.

But at this point I see Scott more and more that time has went on with VR failing to agree and/or find the new guy, that Scott was just as much apart of the VR nucleus as Slash, Duff & the very underappreciated Dave Kushner (which even I didn't like at first, but have discovered more of his soundtrack work and just been fucking stunned at his brilliance). Like I said, Corey was the best option, and even he was not a "stop the presses" type of option.

Mikkamakka wrote:

I love Bowie's works, but Scott is not the young David. I'm not a huge STP fan, but he was a much better writer back then. In VR he wrote the worst cock rock shit this century has heard, sang in half of the old Ozzy's vocal range and acted like an Axl Rose 2. Scott Weiland is Robin Finck as a singer. Nuff said.

I do respect your opinion though. But you'll never convince me that he can sing or anything unique. Never. Not the Izzy/Duff low-level part-time singer, but quite average, light years from the Freddie/Axl/Bowie zone.

I heard "cock rock", but I sure didn't hear "Axl Rose 2" at fucking all with Scott in VR, unless you mean Scott phoning it in and trying to "out-Axl" Axl, and failing HARD.

If anything he just made Axl look better as a lyricist/melody guy, because Scott was fucking yard trash compared to Axl in VR (maybe not STP).

Fall To Pieces is a great example where Scott did in fact did pull a "Robin Finck" and like how we new GN'R fans look and dream about what Slash would've done with Axl's "This I Love", you can't help but to wonder how much Axl would've smoked Scott and vastly improved Fall To Pieces into something special.

I think Scott and VR's best option at this point, considering music's currently shithouse situation, the tensions within the band, the lack of interest in rock beyond a niche category, and the guys obvious aging appeal and actual ages...

I think the future of VR is relying on the Guns N' Roses roots of Slash, Duff & Matt, the blues-folk influence of Kushner, and Scott's grunge-ish hard rock roots.

VR needs to just do what they do best and not get too crazy. Focus on what makes them appeal to their respective audiences. Be more worried about pleasing those late 80's/early 90's rock fans, and less about trying to attract new ones.

I'd like to see VR III continue to do the same thing Alice In Chains & Metallica (not counting Lou Reed) did, by just pumping out killer tunes, writing through and for their roots and their fans.

I'd personally like to see VR III take a darker turn and really challenge the band. Have Scott write deeper, grunge-dark songs, and have the GN'R-inspired rockers to have a more sinister purpose than grabbing radio-airplay. There's nothing wrong with radio-ready melodies, but you can still be serious (see Black Gives Way To Blue & Death Magnetic) and still do it.

In other words, i'd like to hear more passion, and less party on the next VR record.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

i'd like to hear more passion, and less party on the next VR record.

This I agree with wholeheartedly! 9

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

well Scott wrote a number 1 rock hit with FTP whereas Finck shit the bed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

well Scott wrote a number 1 rock hit with FTP whereas Finck shit the bed

I think that's a little unfair to Robin.  You're entitled to your opinion, but many fans actually liked his work on "This I Love", TWAT, and let's not forget "Better".

Board footer