You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Ashba says there are Guns-dates booked for February!

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Not calling you out Monkey, but I love these people that run around these boards talking like Axl's still holding his "big Gun" and still waiting to drop this amazing track on us, all completed.

Does anybody else other than me find it completely and utterly lame to even consider having Axl re-record another artist's material 10 years after that conceptualized it?

I guess it really depends on how much each of us liked CD.

Do I think Axl has a secret "big gun" that's going to be a #1 hit, cure cancer and alter the direction of the planets? Not so much...but to me what was notable about CD was that from a song writing perspective, even though I'm a guitarist and CD is a less guitar heavy album than traditional GNR, I still think Axl's made an amazing album!

The high parts in twat, the vocal melodies and backing of catcher, the inspiration I got from madagascar, the sad beauty of "this I love", I know it's not for everyone but I think there's some really strong songs and what's notable about it to me was that even though it's a bit different, in terms of my appreciation of it, it winds up the same.

I can't really think of an Axl song I don't enjoy on some level, some I love more than others, but nearly all of them have added something. So for me, another album I think would be like that. It might not be exactly what I'd have asked him to make, but I'm pretty sure that there will be content on there that appeals to me, as I seem to enjoy the way he thinks musically. So yeah, I guess, I'm not expecting a "big gun" but I'm also pretty confident that it would be a good album.

As for the time thing. I grew up listening to the modern music of the time  but also a bunch of music where the artists were already dead before I was born and I got something out of all of it. Sure in some cases the production dates a bit, you can hear the vintage of a 1930s recording, or the sounds of thr 1960s, hell listen to AFD and you can hear mid 1980s mixing and production techniques. But the musical ideas remain. Sure the synths might sound early 2000s but if the musical ideas are strong then that's no different to me than how you can hear a classic model guitar amp in clapton's tone. The production value and the instruments date things - but that vocal part in twat will be awesome even when the drums are retro as hell - just as the musical ideas of Led Zep are still great even though they're all recorded on what by today's standards are worse than garage level recordings.

A great song is a great song. NR and Estranged are just as good songs to me today as they were in 1991 - twenty something years since their release and god knows how long since the writing (esp for NR that was apparently written many years earlier in part).

So to me if Axl's got musical ideas from 1998 that he's not shared...I'd be happy for him to finish them and release them, time be damned.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Sophomore slump? Shit they had a Freshman slump

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Not calling you out Monkey, but I love these people that run around these boards talking like Axl's still holding his "big Gun" and still waiting to drop this amazing track on us, all completed.

Does anybody else other than me find it completely and utterly lame to even consider having Axl re-record another artist's material 10 years after that conceptualized it?

I guess it really depends on how much each of us liked CD.

Do I think Axl has a secret "big gun" that's going to be a #1 hit, cure cancer and alter the direction of the planets? Not so much...but to me what was notable about CD was that from a song writing perspective, even though I'm a guitarist and CD is a less guitar heavy album than traditional GNR, I still think Axl's made an amazing album!

The high parts in twat, the vocal melodies and backing of catcher, the inspiration I got from madagascar, the sad beauty of "this I love", I know it's not for everyone but I think there's some really strong songs and what's notable about it to me was that even though it's a bit different, in terms of my appreciation of it, it winds up the same.

I can't really think of an Axl song I don't enjoy on some level, some I love more than others, but nearly all of them have added something. So for me, another album I think would be like that. It might not be exactly what I'd have asked him to make, but I'm pretty sure that there will be content on there that appeals to me, as I seem to enjoy the way he thinks musically. So yeah, I guess, I'm not expecting a "big gun" but I'm also pretty confident that it would be a good album.

As for the time thing. I grew up listening to the modern music of the time  but also a bunch of music where the artists were already dead before I was born and I got something out of all of it. Sure in some cases the production dates a bit, you can hear the vintage of a 1930s recording, or the sounds of thr 1960s, hell listen to AFD and you can hear mid 1980s mixing and production techniques. But the musical ideas remain. Sure the synths might sound early 2000s but if the musical ideas are strong then that's no different to me than how you can hear a classic model guitar amp in clapton's tone. The production value and the instruments date things - but that vocal part in twat will be awesome even when the drums are retro as hell - just as the musical ideas of Led Zep are still great even though they're all recorded on what by today's standards are worse than garage level recordings.

A great song is a great song. NR and Estranged are just as good songs to me today as they were in 1991 - twenty something years since their release and god knows how long since the writing (esp for NR that was apparently written many years earlier in part).

So to me if Axl's got musical ideas from 1998 that he's not shared...I'd be happy for him to finish them and release them, time be damned.

Problem i have with that though is, Axl did date himself  some what by following the trend of the time. Those pieces u speak of are timeless cause they are original and great and didn't date themselves to a particular style or time.

Axl has amazing stuff on CD, too bad most of it is buried under way too much production. I was so bummed when i fucked around with the Moggs.. so much wasted greatness. CD could've been  a kick ass rocking record.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

d- do you have anything that can you send me?  i have not yet heard any of that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There is NOTHING timeless about ANYTHING that came out of the late 90's.

I just don't hear it hmm

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. I don't hear anything dated on CD, mostly, just like how people called him a trend chaser, there's not a single genre, other artist, or other singular music or trend I can point to and say "CD sounds like that." As I've said before, very, very diverse album. I'm sure it'll sound that way ten years from now to me.

And I really haven't heard anyone, at least around these parts, say that Axl is still sitting on some secret big gun. According to Axl himself, if you didn't like the first labum, you're not going to like the second.

And every band dips WAY back into their "vaults" and rework old demos and songs. EVERY band does that. Hell, Van Halen did that with their new song. It's almost as old as I am. Stephen King released novels in the last decade that he started in the mid sixties and put ina drawer. And even Guns N' Roses recorded songs on UYI that were older than songs on AFD. No big deal to me. I'm sure you've rocked out to a band's "new" song that was actually an old song before.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's not the same thing, and you know it.

That'd be like Van Halen replacing Eddie Van Halen with John 5, and recording a vault full of stuff, and then replacing John 5 with Slash, and then going "re-record this, and make it that".

It's not the same. That middle section with John 5 would be such an incredible contrast, that the tone of the music would be entirely different.

GN'R is in a very very unique and different situation with the Chinese vault then any other band before them, including the Beach Boys.

They need to focus on the band they have, and release the other music in the vault seperately as it was originally recorded.

Board footer