You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Duff: Quit Whining About SOPA and PIPA

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

For the record, it took 8 MINUTES from the moment of Australian Itunes release to free global download.

Pure lunacy. Madagas is right. The industry needs a total collapse for a 21st century model to take its place.

Nah, the U.S. government will step in and bail them out and regulate it before they'll allow that to happen. roll

Wait and see

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

what the market will bare has direct relationship to the fact that you can get the same product without paying at all now.

Well, the fact that we've been ass-raped by the industry for decades on end by artificially keeping their prices high, meant we had no choice if we wanted to enjoy music. Now, the artificial limitation has been lifted, and the music industry gets to see how people really value music.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

here's a some freaking annoying  hoops ya gotta jump through when purchasing actual albums these days. It's been a  problem for all time and everyone knows it yet they haven't fixed it. Trying to get the plastic wrap off the CD case is a nightmare!!! That and why do they insist on puting the stickers on the actual jewel case STILL!!!! ARGH!!!! They could make these problems  go away so easily but they don't because it's as though it's just one of life's "funny things"  17

Fuck you record companys. I'm downloading from now on 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I thought they didn't plastic wrap CD's outside of North America?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I thought they didn't plastic wrap CD's outside of North America?

Maybe they don't but I live in Canada which last I checked was part of North America. Land area wsie it's the biggest part tongue

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

what the market will bare has direct relationship to the fact that you can get the same product without paying at all now.

Well, the fact that we've been ass-raped by the industry for decades on end by artificially keeping their prices high, meant we had no choice if we wanted to enjoy music. Now, the artificial limitation has been lifted, and the music industry gets to see how people really value music.

What is the artificial limitation that has been lifted? That we actually had to buy the product not get it for free?

If there was a way to get coffee, bread, milk or cars for free most people wouldn't pay for them either. It's not that they don't value them. It's that we all want more stuff than we can afford so if there's a way to not pay for something, we're all for it.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

If there was a way to get coffee, bread, milk or cars for free most people wouldn't pay for them either. It's not that they don't value them. It's that we all want more stuff than we can afford so if there's a way to not pay for something, we're all for it.

I'm so glad you brought this up. If there was a way to infinitely duplicate bread, coffe, milk or cars (think Star Trek replicator type thing) at zero cost, don't you think people would replicate the shit out of that stuff? Do you really think governments would step in and go "now now people, you need to pay for that piece of bread, so replicating it is from hence forward illegal"

The artificial limitation that has been lifted is RIAA's grasp on the distribution channel. The fact that duplicating music at zero cost with zero quality loss is now within the grasp of us mere mortals.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm so glad you brought this up. If there was a way to infinitely duplicate bread, coffe, milk or cars (think Star Trek replicator type thing) at zero cost, don't you think people would replicate the shit out of that stuff? Do you really think governments would step in and go "now now people, you need to pay for that piece of bread, so replicating it is from hence forward illegal"

Well..actually foods stuffs were a poor example of mine because they don't require innovation/invention or creativity to exist. We could replicate bread endlessly once we had an initial loaf without harm as no one would ever need to be a baker and make new loaves. This is not true for something like music. As someone needs to make the next batch of songs.

So I think perhaps my example of cars is better. Say we invent the replicator now. So you can all download the specs for a Toyota, or someone's Ferrari...but what would happen to car development...why buy new model when you can just download it after someone else does?
Eventually not enough people are buying. Then you'll tell me a story about how the car makers are assholes and had it comming right? big_smile

TheMole wrote:

The artificial limitation that has been lifted is RIAA's grasp on the distribution channel. The fact that duplicating music at zero cost with zero quality loss is now within the grasp of us mere mortals.

I don't see that as an artificial limitation though, it's normal in what, 99% of retail products to not have the ability to create a perfect carbon copy, for free, with instantanious delivery worldwide. It's not the case in pretty much any other product other than digital goods.

But creating this freak environment is indeed what is behind the devaluing of the goods, it's basicly people found a way to not pay so they don't. It's the same reason I don't pay my girlfriend for sex wink

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Actually, the car makers ARE assholes. I paid $25,000 (including interest) for my 2009 Malibu and I'm already having numerous problems that need to be fixed. My dad told me the thing will probably last 7 or 8 years, which fucking sucks. I only drive it around 7,000 miles per year. And yet I've got squealing brakes, failing door locks, a dead turn signal, etc. If there is any industry that deserves to be taken down hard, it's the auto industry. They rip us off in the first place on the initial price of a car, and then they make sure it falls apart quicker than it should so you end up having to shell out a bunch of money to fix it. Right now I am still in my extended warranty, so that's the only good thing I can say about the situation.

Board footer