You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Hall Of Fame Conspiracy Theory

faldor wrote:
starsko wrote:
faldor wrote:

All I know is, I went to see Guns live back in November with 9 others and every one of them said Axl sounded fantastic.  But apparently that means nothing.

It means nothing because there's also people who said Axl sounded awesome at Rio.

Axl's voice is shot. Sad but true.

Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I don't think Axl sounded THAT bad at Rio.  Don't get me wrong, he sounded real bad at times, but he sounded quite good at others.  Like he has every show this tour and in the past.  The biggest problem for me that night was Axl spirits seemed to be down, which made the performance much worse than the actual quality of his voice.  Look back at "Estranged" from that night.  He was not awful.  And there are other examples as well.

His voice is not shot.  He's always been an inconsistent live performer.  Is his voice as strong as it once was?  NO!  But his voice is not shot, he still has plenty of good moments.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

You know, if Rio was good enough for you, then there's really no point of an argument. He sounded like his parody karaoke version. That was the low point of his entire career. I really appreciate him for crawling back from there and doing this tour. He showed character with continuing after that disaster.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
-D- wrote:

Id say Axl peaked on Lies... his voice just kills on it.

Agreed. Crazy and Million are his finest work, especially Crazy. The band was in the zone then, too bad they only got to make 15 songs while they were in it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

He started losing his voice in 1991. 1992 his voice was different. Laziness wasn't the reason he "lost" his voice. Robert Plant damaged his voice because of touring, just like Axl. Not because of being lazy. Especially seeing the strain their vocal styles caused. Plus, he's gotten older.

You may not know this, but years of cocaine, booze, chain smoking, and years of screeching vocals has a very negative effect. You can get your voice back from inactivity, it's much harder from years of abuse. On top of that, those things helped shape his voice, but it can only last so long. You could make a legit argument that had he not taken off the time he did his voice would be gone. Listen to his voice on Sympathy For The Devil and tell me you can't hear a change.

This is my favorite period of Axl's voice. Perfect. But you can hear the abuse. And it was never quite like that again from the UYI tours. Nothing would have saved it. He wouldn't sound like that today, no matter what.

Agree on Sympathy, that's one of Axl's perfect works, among with Ain't It Fun, Black Leather, Civil War, Coma and the B-side of Lies.

I still disagree on dating his voice damage back to the early 90s. The devil inside me says that some people have a habit to date everything bad to the UYI era, just because the Ayatollah said so. Anyway... he had problems way back in the 80s, when he had to be silent for weeks. You might remember that they had to cancel shows (maybe on the Aerosmith tour?), and there was that special performance of It's So Easy with Duff on vocals.
Axl still had a very powerful and fine voice when they finished the Illusion tours. After 2 years of live performances, he was way better than in the first months, in 1991. Practice use a lot. Then, he didn't sing for YEARS. That's when he lost the power in his voice, and although learnt new technics, he came back as the Mickey Mouse of rock and roll. Practice, practice and practice, and singers can save their voice. It's still not too late, but if he doesn't do more for himself, his own art and instrument, than in a few years the only option will be lip-synchin'.

I can honestly say Mikka that I have always thought Axl's voice was starting to go during the UYI tour, without any influence from anyone.

I think the damage his voice suffered in the 80's lead to that. And the fact he quit smoking, just that, is going to lead to a different tone.

I think he sounded best (in the new era) in 2006. That's my favorite voice next to the late 1980's, but it still sounded different.

IMO, 2002, he put everything, including his singing, in cruise control.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

All I know is, I went to see Guns live back in November with 9 others and every one of them said Axl sounded fantastic.  But apparently that means nothing.

Well it tends to mean absolutely nothing when I refrence my friends expereinces so it shoud be no different for you tongue

All kidding aside I used my friends opinions of the shows we saw in 2006 and I was basically told  by many people on this board that my friends opinions mean shit and nobody cares. Yet when I posted what they felt about the show in 2010 suddenly my freinds opinions were validated and legit because the 2010 show kicked a shit ton of ass while the shows we saw in 2006 SUCKED and Axl sounded like ass! Funny how people like to acknowldege things only if it supports their view on how they want things to be.

Bono

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
-D- wrote:

Id say Axl peaked on Lies... his voice just kills on it.

Agreed. Crazy and Million are his finest work, especially Crazy. The band was in the zone then, too bad they only got to make 15 songs while they were in it.

In my opinion OIAM is easily his best vocal performance. A shame it's burried underneath a pile of seemingly racists, ignorant and naive lyrics as such the song will never be played on radio. Otherwise it would've been a  sure fire hit and an all time classic in my opinion.  Great guitar solo too in my opinion. let's listen!
[youtube]V49fRuNtgFg&feature=fvst[/youtube]

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Well it tends to mean absolutely nothing when I refrence my friends expereinces so it shoud be no different for you tongue

All kidding aside I used my friends opinions of the shows we saw in 2006 and I was basically told  by many people on this board that my friends opinions mean shit and nobody cares. Yet when I posted what they felt about the show in 2010 suddenly my freinds opinions were validated and legit because the 2010 show kicked a shit ton of ass while the shows we saw in 2006 SUCKED and Axl sounded like ass! Funny how people like to acknowldege things only if it supports their view on how they want things to be.

No, friends thoughts don't count only when you try to use them as a representation of the entire world's opinion. 

Bono

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

No, friends thoughts don't count only when you try to use them as a representation of the entire world's opinion. 

Yeah but what you've always failed to realize is their opinions ARE reflective of the entire world's opinions. It's a sample size. Funny how it's only applicable though when it's shining a positive light on Axl.  A friend's rave review is legit of course and it a sure fire sign of how the public would feel if they just gave it a chance, yet when a  friend's opinion is less than flattering it's not legit and it's not a fair assumption to suggest it's likely a  common opinion shared by others in the genral public. Total double standard and always has been.

I like how people can use and dismiss opinions of others however it suits them. As though soem opinions just don't exist unless it supports their view point.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I cannot believe the only thing out of that MASSIVE ass post people took from it was "lazy".

I'm gonna stop wasting my time.

And D is obviously not a singer and has no clue how it's done and how it works. Axl obviously sings higher today than he did in his heyday. If you don't hear that, I can't help you. Check with Beltone hearing aids.

Lord u don't understand a thing I am talking about

There is a giant difference in singing something Falsetto which is what Axl does now and singing with your full throat.

Falsetto is why it is higher cleaner weaker

Its higher cause the only way he can duplicate what he used to could sing is to do falsetto.

Do u even know what the fuck a falsetto is?

Sometimes when u talk about music, u remind me of that old Andy Griffith episode where Barney acts like he knows it all about music and Andy asks him what he is gonna do if they ask him to sing A Capella and Barney being the know it all he is, starts making up a song singing A Capella.. A Capella..

I guess u believe athletes get faster bigger and stronger as they age also.:rolleyes:

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I will take Axl Rose in his 2002 voice over Myles Kennedy or any other wanker trying to sing Guns N' Roses songs.

Note I am not a huge fan of Axl anymore, since the Robin Finck departure and the horrible PR with Chinese Democracy. Who honestly lets their album tank.

Axl at his worst is still better than any vocalist imitators.

To conclude Izzy is the coolest GN'R member. At least that guy never performed with Fergie or seems like a fame whore.

Axl and Slash are douches in their own regard. I hold Slash to a higher douche scale though. Fergie and his horrible Slash albums.

Plus when he had a book signing he didn't do a photo with one of my friends and acted like a bitch, or so the story goes.

Board footer