You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Surprised label isnt capitalizing on rrhof

Olorin wrote:

After this UK tour I might draw a line under it, was going to hang on for CD2 and then wave bon voyage to the forums, but I feel that album is pie in the sky. I'm feeling my patriotism towards the classic era growing and growing and my contempt for the new era doing likewise.
Its not because of personalities, or who is or isnt in the band anymore... its just as the years fly past, more and more I'm looking at them and realising just how artistically woeful they really are.

Fuck the old songs, fuck the Floyd n' AC/DC and whoever covers, and fuck the fuckin Pink Panther Theme...  surely you even just occasionally do something original as "GNR" instead, show some balls, show some fire!

So as I'm finding them to get more and more on my tits, its probably best to call it a day sooner rather than later or risk becoming a troll.

So much potential as well hmm

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Dudes, it's not the end of the world. The forums are just as much about the community as it is the band.

DCK wrote:
misterID wrote:

That was building up a long time...

And dude, you are one of the level headed guys around here. Don't vanish smile

I needed to vent it, and I need a little break. I won't go away, I just won't get into it. I've been into it since 1998, and right now it feels like I just discussed the same thing for almost 15 years. That's what hit me on saturday, just 15 years of the same debate. Right now I just feel like enjoying it rather than trying to debate it, to argue it. Just watch that Estranged live clip from February without hearing the same old arguments over and over and over again.

I know, we're stll having the name debate 16

I think I went through this about the 2004-05 period. I understand where you guys are coming from.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Well.. in 2001 I traveled 2000 miles, by fuckin' bus (30+ hours) to catch Rock In Rio 3.

In 2010 I waited Axl to hit the stage in Porto Alegre, my hometown, during a 4 hour delay.

In 2012 I'll be in Milan at the same place GN'R will be and, unless something alongside a miracle happens and they announce a new album and start playing new songs, I'll not attend.

I know it's me but it might be getting into the casuals as well... How many have had GN'R in their town already? And how many are not going to this round?

I know others will attend and most concerts will sell just the same, but every passing day without new news, Axl is losing supporters.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Dudes, it's not the end of the world. The forums are just as much about the community as it is the band.

Totally agree, I've heard all kinds of new music because people on here recommended it, I've met people in real life, I've spent many a moment laughing my ass off over things I've read on here. It's definitely about the community.

As for getting sick of GNR. I'm afraid all things GNR seem hardwired into my blood - you all know I tend to adore both side of the "war" I geek out for Chinese Democracy, but have my pre-order in for Apocalyptic Love. I'm into anything connected to GNR, past and present. It's been many a year now, I suspect I'm a lifer lol.

For me the drama and so on isn't a downer. Sure it's frustrating sometimes. Like when you think "I'd love to hear CD2 today" or when you hear a great slash song and you think what axl might have sung over it. But at the same time - i figure when there's music we can talk about that forever and when stuff goes wrong it just adds petrol to the fire to rant about our theories of how, why and when. I was thinking the other day, there's not really other bands with a public back story as complex and bizarre as the whole GNR saga. If you were a roadie for a big band you might see some shit, but in a way, I often feel like somehow GNR stuff always seems more public.

As for the name issue. I think GNR has always been a polarising band - mostly because of the pubic image of Axl - he's a love or hate figure in the media it seems. Same with people I know. They either think GNR is a kickass band or they hate GNR. Keeping the name has added another arrow to the bow of people who already think Axl is a primadona or an asshole - but the real issue i think for most causal fans isn't so much about the name as it is about the line up - IMO - most people recognise that GNR has that classic rock lead singer/lead guitarist thing - like the stones, like Aerosmith.

To hardcores like us it's about Duff and Izzy as well and stuff, but to Joe Blow they really only need the lead guitar and the singer to call something a band. Without it it's not quite right. The 3 guitars makes it worse too. You might get away with replacing slash if you put some god in his place, but blending the role so it doesn't exist confuses people. You take something away you need to replace it with an obvious substitute. Notice how the current band gets slightly more public approval than the 2002 line up did? IMO that's because DJ has been pimped as the lead player and has a more public profile than robin did. Not to diminish bumble as he's awesome - I just think the old band had the advantage of when the solo hits the camera man knew who to film and that doesn't happen in GNR land with 3 players, it's not the formula that the audience expects.  So sure he cops a shit load of flac for not being slash. But I think to the public Axl/DJ is a closer to the Axl/Slash model they grew up with.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Nah. As I said before, I know at least one person who only went to see GN'R on the 2011 tour because he got free tickets then was MORE than happy to go again on the UCaP Tour a couple months later because he enjoyed the December show so much.

That's the minority. Most people aren't going to begin with so....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Completely agree with Bono. It was literally unheard of for me to have GN'R in town, and not attend. This last go 'round I had to scrap up the money to go to Orlando 2011, and was reluctant, and it was a very good show.

But when I was there, and I never said this before for the sake of the board and trying to be positive during that time for the band and the board one last time, but even when I was at the Orlando 2011 show... it felt like an end for me as a fan. Great show, but something felt like a close for me. Like an end to all those years following CD. I can't describe it exact, but it just kinda felt... over. My enthusiasm was exactly the same, and it was cool to hear Estranged in a live setting, and it was cool how DJ interacted with the audience so well, but it all just seemed like something fun of a by-gone era.

When I heard they were coming around again earlier this month, I literally had NO interest in being there. Even if it was free, they'd of had to pay my gas to get me there.

This is Guns N' Roses, I shouldn't feel like that. Before long I found myself taking the flags down, and putting the T-shirts away, and doing it before I even knew it. Like a blur. Something that had been so incredibly important to me DAILY for a decade... gone. I wanted to care, but I just didn't.

I'm not being overly dramatic, i'm just explaining where it all came from. I get the "community" thing that Monkey was talking about. For quite a while now, Black Hole and the Off-topic boards are the first places I visit on the board. Not the GN'R section. Which is bizarre, considering they've been on a 2 and a half year tour at this point.

I guess we just move on in life. College, work, marriage, kids... i'm kinda there mentally.

Board footer