You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Slash - Anastasia and the Rest of the Album

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think the biggest slash fanboys are probably me, gibbo, metallex, d, and mikka.

The biggest axlites are probably russtc, Ali, and mr.id.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Am as much as a slash fan as I am a axl fan just slash does a lot more then axl

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think the biggest slash fanboys are probably me, gibbo, metallex, d, and mikka.

The biggest axlites are probably russtc, Ali, and mr.id.

yo-momma.jpg

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I really wish we didn't have a Slash vs Axl war always to be honest.

It's kind of like arguing about whether "Coma" is better than "November Rain" - one of them is Slashian and one Axlian - but they sure as hell both contributed the fuck out of each other's starting points.

These days they don't add stuff to each other's songs - but I've never understood why people use that as a reason to dislike the underlying basis of the song that would be the same even if they did.

When people dislike "This I love", "There was a Time" and "Catcher in the Rye" I start to wonder what they ever liked about Axl's style in the first place back in the day, and likewise, if someone listens to "Anastasia", "Standing in the Sun" and "Halo" and hates them...well then they just can't like Slash's way of playing period.....

I see Chinese Democracy (for the most part) and Apocalyptic Love as both men taking what they've always done and increasing the complexity of it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Guys, you know I am bullshitting. That is what I love about this place.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

In all honesty, SG and D are my "Walking Dead" boys. It's all good. cool

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually SG, I think that roster was pretty damn accurate. ID & Russ are in denial. They might "think objectively", but when the flame wars start and Axl gets shit on by the press, they always fall down party lines, no different than Republicans vs. Democrats. Their first instinct is to defend Axl (not saying you're wrong, but it seems like instinct).

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

IF anything I say ever offends someone, u may be taking things too seriously.

Its all in good fun. It isn't like if I disagree with I.D. i turn off the computer and curse him the rest of the day.

when i close a thread, whatever argument stays in THAT thread.

I still think people can't separate music from lyrics.

I realized that when i heard people criticize Slash for not doing anything since GNR. cause he has tons of riffs post GNR that are amazing.

Anastasia IMO hangs with anything on UYI.  IF u listen to just the guitar.

Myles of course isn't nowhere near Axl etc. but just guitar for guitar etc.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

For the record, I am a huge Axl fan also and will praise him if he ever does something to DESERVE it.

same ole shit tour doesn't cut it for me. I no longer give him a pass just cause its better than nothing.

Slash is kicking ass, new music, promoting, videos, interviews,doing his best to move on from the past.

I respect that more than what Axl is doing currently which is why I am more of a Slashlite at the moment.

I do have an Axl tattoo on my forearm, no Slash tattoo.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I really wish we didn't have a Slash vs Axl war always to be honest.

It's kind of like arguing about whether "Coma" is better than "November Rain" - one of them is Slashian and one Axlian - but they sure as hell both contributed the fuck out of each other's starting points.

These days they don't add stuff to each other's songs - but I've never understood why people use that as a reason to dislike the underlying basis of the song that would be the same even if they did.

When people dislike "This I love", "There was a Time" and "Catcher in the Rye" I start to wonder what they ever liked about Axl's style in the first place back in the day, and likewise, if someone listens to "Anastasia", "Standing in the Sun" and "Halo" and hates them...well then they just can't like Slash's way of playing period.....

I see Chinese Democracy (for the most part) and Apocalyptic Love as both men taking what they've always done and increasing the complexity of it.

Their war had a serious effect on the community. Some people feel the need to take a side, or their opinion isn't somewhere in the middle, but tends to one of the parties. This ongoing war has even poisoned some's music perception.

I am objective enough to confess that I don't enjoy Axl's art as much as I used to, because I have issues with him as a person, based on what he has and hasn't done and what he's said (multiple times). I can't help but feel it being mirrored in his songs. Even in the older ones, mostly on UYI. Yes, I enjoy those old songs less today because of it. That's my huge coming out.

But. I always try to separate my personal feelings from the quality of music. I wholeheartadly agree that This I Love, Catcher In The Rye, Street of Dreams, the heart of TWAT and Prostitute are UYI-type GN'R songs. They just turned out to be different with different players. I think anyone who hates the core of those, just has never been a 100% GN'R fan, or has lost it along the way, or it got overshadowed by his personal feelings towards the man.

The same goes for Slash's material. Most of the songs are exactly GN'R - just without the others. Some people should learn to deal with the fact that it wasn't a one-man solo band back in the day, but a group effort.
When I dislike some Axl songs on CD, it's not because I hate the UYIish core of it - it's because the final version went to a direction I don't like. Catcher could have been Yesterdays 2, a simple 70s songs - but it got overblown, a 7-minute boredrom instead of a 3 and a half minute fine tune. I could go on and on with the other songs, too, but I have never questioned Axl's songwriting ability, I have never questioned his musical quality. Unlike others, who are doing it in Slash's case again and again. It's mostly because unlike Slash, Axl criticized Slash's playing numerous times, and they feel the need to take his side. Puppets. Sorry, that's what it is.

I think if the community (at least here) could grow up enough to ignore the legends' stupid and hateful shit, the bullshit excuses etc. and call a spade a spade, this would be a better place. I know that I get angry sometimes, but it's always because I feel someone's in an insincere denial, let's call it this way. I have less problem with sincere stupidity than insincere sophistics.
(And I have no problem with sincere difference of tastes and opinions.)

Board footer