You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

mitchejw wrote:

Interesting point about the rest of the division being down and the bears being up...but you can hardly use that to predict the future. I think there is still a good two or three good seasons out of a healthy bears defense to be had. HEALTHY mind you...

And here's the thing with the Packers...you watch what happens next year when they start facing all the teams that won their respective divisions this coming year...something they didn't have to do this season. Things will be a bit different...and if a team can figure out how to stop the slant, curl, screen pass combo that brett favre seems so successful with...it won't even need to be much to tumble this young team full of egos that are waiting to sprout this coming season...Javon Walker??? lol

If you think the bear's window is closed...then that means it was only really open for 1, maybe 2 seasons. Some believe they got rid of Mushin to keep Briggs...and with that LB crew and those corners and of course the D-line...then I think there is a chance there for the D to return to some pretty awesome heights...

That being said...Berrian could get his huge contract and be worthless if he doesn't get the attention he likes. The bears Wide outs dropped a lot of passes last year and I felt that was due to the horrible concentration level that comes when 1 out of 20 pass plays actually goes to a receiver.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

NFL Combine starts today! For us draftniks, we get wall to wall coverage of the future of the NFL.

Free agency starts next week. Its the Redskins favorite time of the year! smile

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Free agency starts next week. Its the Redskins favorite time of the year! smile

Haha, Karma.

Yahoo has a site of the topp 100 draft picks. Colt Brennan is tanking!! Down to 100 & they said he could go down to 150 (they probably just wanted to get him into the list)

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=775912

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

^^Yep, Brennan fell big time when he had to face a real defense like Georgia. He is way to small, and he got killed in that game. Just imagine what it will do when you have a Jim Johnson defense bringing the house! I never liked him anyway, and thought he would get brought back to Earth when Bowl season rolled around.

What about Indiana WR James Hardy? I think he's like 6'7". Could you imagine him on the Giants, lined up opposite of Plaxico Burress in the red zone? Talk about a nightmare for defenses. Who gets the jump ball?!

Ahh, I love this time of year. During  draft weekend, everyone knows not to bother me. I guess I'm obsessed!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'll say this, I'd take Colt Brennan in the 3rd or 4th round before I'd take Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm with a Top 10 pick. For every Peyton Manning there's a Ryan Leaf, for every Drew Bledsoe there's a Rick Mirer, for every Phillip Rivers there's a Eli Manning 16 big_smile

j/k NYG.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

^^Hey now! SB MVP!

I hear alot of the "experts" love Matt Ryan and think he could be the number 1 overrall pick, but I dont know. I never thought of him as a bigtime QB from what I saw of him at Boston College. I actually think Brohm will have the best career in the NFL out of any of them.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Giants seek DeAngelo Hall as top cornerback
by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Thursday February 21, 2008, 10:39 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- With their top two free-agent targets wearing pricey franchise tags, the Giants are trying another route toward getting a top cornerback: A trade with the Atlanta Falcons for two-time Pro Bowler DeAngelo Hall.

According to two people with knowledge of preliminary discussions between the teams, the Giants are willing to give Atlanta their first-round pick (31st overall) in April's draft in exchange for Hall. The people requested anonymity because of the private nature of the trade talks.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese declined to comment today at the NFL Scouting Combine when asked whether the Giants have inquired about Hall, the eighth overall pick in the 2004 draft.

Hall's agent, Joel Segal, could not be reached for comment.

The Giants had hoped to make a run at the Seahawks' Marcus Trufant and the Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha, according to one of the people familiar with the team's offseason plans, but each was made the franchise player by their respective teams.

As compensation, the Giants would owe two first-round picks if they signed either player. Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, who will become a free agent next Friday, is viewed by the Giants more as a player whose success is the product of New England's defensive system than his own ability.

Hall, 24, is a fast, tough and talented player who has 17 interceptions in his four NFL seasons.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/0 … _as_t.html

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

reports out of boston claim that the pats are going to decline the option on stallworth

according to fox sports he made $1,920,000 last season so that will free up a bit of coin for them...i think that they will dump a few more, up Samuel's salary, and then go after a young defensive player to play up front

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

CHICAGO (AP)'”Rex Grossman signed a one-year contract Saturday with the Chicago Bears and will compete for the starting quarterback job.

Grossman, a 2003 first-round draft pick, started the Super Bowl for the Bears after an up-and-down season in 2006. He struggled again last year and was benched following the third game. He returned for five more games before injuring his left knee.

Grossman passed for 913 yards with three touchdowns and one interception for an 80.2 passer rating when he returned. In the first three games, his 45.2 rating with one TD and six interceptions contributed to the Bears' 1-2 start.

'Rex has won a lot of football games for us around here,' coach Lovie Smith said. 'You look at how he played at the end of the football season until he came up with that injury, he is playing good football.'

Grossman has started 30 games with 489 completions in 900 attempts (54.3 percent) for 5,907 yards with 31 touchdowns and 33 interceptions. His career passer rating is 70.9.

'We wanted him because we feel like he gives us the best opportunity to be the best team we can be going into this next season,' general manager Jerry Angelo said.

Angelo confirmed Grossman will battle Kyle Orton for the starting quarterback spot and that there could be two other quarterbacks on the roster next season. Angelo did not include veteran backup Brian Griese in those plans, and it's possible Griese will be cut in early March before he is due a $300,000 roster bonus.

'It's an open competition,' Smith said. 'It's not like we promised Rex a starting position, or any of the guys a starting position. They're coming to Chicago because they feel good about competing for the starting job.'

Angelo said stabilizing the quarterback position is the team's biggest priority, but Grossman's contract doesn't help much because he would be a free agent after the 2008 season without a contract extension.

'With one-year deals you're not solving anything,' Angelo said. 'You're still in the hunt, so to speak. We certainly feel good about the people who are contending at the position, but it's not solved yet.'

The Bears hope signing Grossman provides leverage to bring wide receiver Bernard Berrian back to the team. He becomes a free agent Friday.

'We're using everything we possibly can,' Smith said. 'Bernard has been a big part of what we've done. He's come up through the ranks with us.

'We'd like to see him finish it at our place. Hopefully, signing guys like Rex will help.'

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said Saturday he expects Berrian and fellow client Lance Briggs to enter free agency rather than sign a contract with the Bears.

'I would say at this time I would project that those guys would at least get to free agency, or at least the beginning of it' Rosenhaus said at the NFL scouting combine. 'But the Bears are going to be in the mix as we continue to talk with other teams.

'We're going to have a good, healthy dialogue with them.'

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

HUGE mistake. They should have dumped him now while they had the perfect chance. They would be better off taking a chance on an undrafted rookie than keeping Grossman another year.

Board footer