You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Cataloging the CD leaks

smoke wrote:

I asked this question a while back, and was directed to Chinese Whispers. But I've read that twice, and while it's totally amazing (and I'm sure I'll read it again), I'm still confused over what leaked when, what "nicknames" each might have had (ex. Chicken Dinner), etc.

I first got into the CD era in late 2005, when I found a three song leak. It was tagged as:
1. The Blues (REMIX)
2. I.R.S. (demo)
3. There Was A Time

The Blues had the heavy and dirty guitar intro, and the vocals sounded like they were double tracked from a live performance possibly.  TWAT was much funkier with the opening loop pretty much standing alone.

Sometime soonish after that, I got a version of Better and Catcher. Catcher is recorded really, really low. Is that the one with Brian May? I merged all 5 of those together as "Chinese Democracy (Leaks)".

Somewhere in 2007, I got 5 more tracks, which I labeled "Chinese Democracy (Final) [<--HA!]:
1. TWAT
2. The Blues
3. CD
4. I.R.S.
5. Madagascar

I believe this is where the synth choir first appeared in IRS, but I'm not sure.

Somewhere along the way, I got something called Street Of Dreams 2002 remix. I don't know when I got it, but it was clearly post name change.

Of course in July 2008, I got my to-this-day favorite version of most of the songs with the big leak:
1. Better
2. This I Love (actually Prostitute, but I took the wrong side of that fight, and refuse to rename it smile)
3. TWAT
4. Rhiad and the Bedouins
5. Madagascar
6. If The World
7. CD
8. The Blues

Not only were the version my fav, but the running stuck with me. The actual for-real release of CD messed me up, because I thought Better should've been the lead off.

Finally, August 14, 2008, we got Chicken Dinner.

So, to the many of you more knowledgeable than me- are any of the pre-2008 leaks identifiable, or did I come across mish-mashes well after the fact? Is there anything of note I'm obviously missing? Any guesses as to the provenance of some of them (for example, the first 3 leaks I got, is that version of IRS likely to be the 1999 version?)

Anyways, unless I missed it and this thread exists already, I thought it would be fun to chronicle in one place the different leaks that came out over the 14 year saga of CD. Especially since coming back into the GNR scene in 2005, I'm a relative newcomer. big_smile

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I don't remember anything being labelled Chicken Diner. I kinda stopped paying attention to the leaks after a while. I know that the first leak of Catcher was titled Fangfederblech_im_Roggen  Other than that I know virtually nothing about th leaks. I never overly cared for them to be honest. Usually when they'd leak it'd be days before I'd even listen

johndivney wrote:

Chicken Dinner was maybe Shacklers?

MSL should kno all this tongue

Did CD come before Message for You/Prostitute?
These were p late in the day..

I do have a cd-r sorted in chronological order but it's buried in a trunk in my parents house & I haven't retained the info. So.... sorry for you! I'm no real help here but yea fun/stoopid times.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Chicken Dinner was Shackler's. I believe Chinese Democracy did come out before Prostitute, which was unnamed at the time. IRS wasa the first song to leak as far as I know. I became aware of it around 2005 or so.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Yeah IRS was first for sure. I remember emailing it to my local radio station. My buddy worked there on the morning show at the time so they new it was leit and they discussed it at length whether to play it or not and in the end decided against it 16  Would've been interesting to see what the response would've been at te time. I remember the day CD was release as a single and the reaction was very lukewarm at best. I was surprised cause for me CD is one of the best songs on CD and in many ways I thought the most accessable to the mainstreme.

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:

Chicken Dinner was Shackler's. I believe Chinese Democracy did come out before Prostitute, which was unnamed at the time. IRS wasa the first song to leak as far as I know. I became aware of it around 2005 or so.

Sorry I meant Chicken Dinner when I used CD there. I knew it'd be confused but I was too lazy to type chicken dinner again. In hindsight it's cost me a lot more precious time...

I do rem the debate about MSG 4 U/Prostitute & be dumbfounded people couldn't hear the Axl singing the word 'Prostitute'...

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I still can't hear "Prostitute" big_smile. I trained myself to hear "to proudly damn myself to live with fortune and shame."

And yeah, Chicken Dinner was Shackler's. I would have said that, but I thought it was common knowledge since it came so late, and I'm usually behind you guys on these things.

It would fun to put together a chronological playlist of the leaks. I used to listen to different versions of The Blues back to back for hours. Also, I've said it a million times before, but pulling "like if your ass was your head you could tell" from CD was a huge mistake. smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

From what I remember, IRS came first.  Not sure if it originated from Mike Piazza playing it on Eddie Trunk's radio show or if it was heard before that.

Then after lots of back and forth with the Portuguese mafia, hoarders, what have you.  MSL got them to send him Better, TWAT, and The Blues.  Around that same time (somewhere around 2006) Catcher In The Rye also popped up.  Then came Madagascar, next Chinese Democracy. 

In the summer of 2008 the antiquiet leaks consisted of 9 songs including Riad, If The World, and Song 2/Message For You/Prostitute.

And finally, MSL had someone leak Shacklers from China to finish it off.

In the end, we got 3 "new" songs on the album.  Sorry, Scraped, and This I Love.

irs piazza leak in '05

irs, better, twat, twat long + instrumentals in '06 courtesy of wes

catcher in '06 as well courtesy of darknemus

madagascar in '07 courtesy of darknemus

better '07 from harley davidson leaks as well

irs & twat '99 leak at some point

in '07, i leak chinese, the blues, new IRS and new TWAT

in '08 you have the 9 song leak courtesy of skwerl.

in '08 i leak shackler's.

Sky Dog wrote:

the man knows his stuff

Board footer