You are not logged in. Please register or login.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

Re: Gods of Metal June 22nd

WARose wrote:

james, did you see this line up live? DJ is miles ahead of finck. his solos are better, his stage presence is better, his interpretations of slash solos are better, hell he even brings most of finck`s stuff to a new level...   and axl`s stage presence sure isn`t diminishing. if there`s one thing to criticise it`s his voice, but having seen him 2 weeks ago, there were only a few moments where i thought he sounded off...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

Baz hasn't toured with GNR, or in turn, sang "My Michelle" with Axl in awhile.  So it hasn't been a common thing, of late.

This show is dated 5 days ago. Did BLS accidentally post an old clip?

misterID wrote:

If there's been a bright spot this entire tour it's been Richard Fortus.

Has the tour really been that bad? 16

misterID wrote:

I've got no problem with 3 guitarists and their play on the old songs, it'd just be nice if they were showcasing more of "their" music. wink

The CD era always deserved an Audioslave approach. Look at this set list for the Live in Cuba show....

"Set It Off"
    "Your Time Has Come"
    "Like a Stone"
    "Spoonman"*
    "The Worm"
    "Gasoline"
    "Heaven's Dead"*
    "Doesn't Remind Me"
    "Be Yourself"
    "Bulls on Parade" (Instrumental)
    "Sleep Now in the Fire"
    "Out of Exile"
    "Outshined"
    "Shadow on the Sun"*
    "Black Hole Sun" (Cornell Acoustic Solo)*
    "I Am the Highway"
    "Show Me How to Live"
    "Cochise"

Now THAT is "moving on".....

WARose wrote:

james, did you see this line up live?

No. Other than the Frisco club show in 2006, EVERY show in a hundred mile radius of me since 93 has been canceled due to pretty much zero ticket sales.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm usually a defender of Fortus as I think he's a great guitarist...however the broader issue that you don't need three guitarists remains.....and I guess logically it's fortus that should go at this point if someone is to go....

Why?

In the 2002 era I believe the band should have just been Bucket on all leads and fortus on Rhythm.

In the modern era that would follow to have Bumble and Fortus...but then listening to Sixx:Am i think DJ is most likely to be the best new songwriter...so he has to be in....yet you can't loose bumble cos no one but him can play bucket's CD songs....so bottom line is it has to be DJ+Bumble on guitars...there's no reason they couldn't alternate leads/rhythm between them IMO though...as much as I love richard in general.

I agree with all of these points! I do like Finck's time in the band and he was important and essential to the early shows and CD's development. He is a great player and brought in a specific sound especially on the 06-07 shows. I like Richard's playing as well and I think the band has found a way to balance out the shows in a way where each guitarist doesn't have their hands full.  I was impressed with This is Gonna Hurt when I purchased it and I believe some of the songs DJ sent to Axl will be a step in the right direction. The only people that need to record their parts are DJ, maybe Tommy or Frank and any new vocals Axl has to put in for some of the vault or new material. Hoping something comes around soon!

Me_Wise_Magic

WARose wrote:

james, did you see this line up live? DJ is miles ahead of finck. his solos are better, his stage presence is better, his interpretations of slash solos are better, hell he even brings most of finck`s stuff to a new level...   and axl`s stage presence sure isn`t diminishing. if there`s one thing to criticise it`s his voice, but having seen him 2 weeks ago, there were only a few moments where i thought he sounded off...

This is how I look at it as well. From the videos I've been able to catch. DJ doesn't let me down in terms of his skill at the songs especially the material from Appetite and CD. He seems to be always in a good mood when playing to the crowd. He is certainly not the best guitar player; but he knows how to play the fuck out of Slash's leads and the rhythm parts. I know that DJ has so much respect for Slash that he doesn't want the screw up the songs. He's got a killer 80's hard rock/radio friendly tone and style that I like.  As for Axl, it's just getting older that I think he has his moments where a song won't go the right way it should or it could be he needs to start practicing his voice more before each show. Going to sound check numerous times wouldn't hurt either and cut down on the Oxygen tank a little. 16 The problem is Axl is the one who makes the final call on what's next for this band besides another tour. Who knows there might be a new album already done that just needs the label's approval and some promotion. This new one needs a much better marketing strategy than CD. The marketing for that was a train wreck and now people are suddenly starting to get into it after being out for 3 1/2 years.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Actually...another approach would have been to have fink and bucket...with fink playing the CD solos he did live...and all AFD solos and the shred CD solos to be done by bucket. I just think finks approach to AFD was fundamentally upsetting to most people and that bucket should have been highlighted as the new "guitar hero" - as even though he and slash have a very different approach and the sound would be different - there's no denying those chops...he'd get respect.

James is on the money with Audioslave...it's a great example of how someone can do new stuff without destroying their past. Admittedly I'm only a casual soundgarden fan (into badmotor finger and then a couple of the obvious hits) but Audioslave was really taking cornells legacy and building something worthy to follow it...

It's sort of a shame that the industry is so live focused these days too. As I'm sure studio Axl can still pull up amazing tracks (talent wise...mentally/business or whatever stops it happening is another matter) but in terms of him living his life just re-singing jungle every day then it's only ever going to slowly diminish in quality I guess.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...DJ plays the songs respectfully....like I'd guess for most old school fans they want slash...but in the absence of slash they want the songs played like slash would play them....the problem with robin is he both wasn't slash and also had no intention to play like slash....

I've never been into the 3 guitarists thing...but they do make it work these days...to me the primary thing missing is more new material....

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

My big problem is how they have like DJ play SCOM but then Ron do the big one or on NR etc.. Richard always butchers that solo imo

I wish one guy would play the entire solo

Me_Wise_Magic

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...DJ plays the songs respectfully....like I'd guess for most old school fans they want slash...but in the absence of slash they want the songs played like slash would play them....the problem with robin is he both wasn't slash and also had no intention to play like slash....

I've never been into the 3 guitarists thing...but they do make it work these days...to me the primary thing missing is more new material....

New material would help this band so much! Eventually it needs to happen or alot of fans or casuals are not going to show or follow this current lineup. I understand Robin wanted to do his own thing and play the songs the way he felt represented his own style which I'm glad Axl allowed. There is a uniqueness to his tone as do the other alumni and current members. cool

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

Baz hasn't toured with GNR, or in turn, sang "My Michelle" with Axl in awhile.  So it hasn't been a common thing, of late.

This show is dated 5 days ago. Did BLS accidentally post an old clip?

No that clip was current, I was just saying it's the first time in awhile that Baz had gotten onstage with GNR to sing "My Michelle".  I want to say it's been a few years at least.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Just being honest here; watching live clips of this band is fucking boring anymore. Honestly how long can fans eat up a cover band of a cover band playing Guns N' Roses songs. I'm not saying it to be an ass I'm just saying it because it's true. As fans of a band this has reached epic proportions of pathetic sadness regardless of what anyone thinks of the quality of the performances. It's just getting more and more lame each and every day.

Board footer