You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Windows 8

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Would recommend upgrading. It's backwards compatibility seems to be as good as 7 and on top of that it's really really fast. From when the bootup screen appears it takes me <20 seconds to have Chrome or Firefox open and responsive.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't know, been thinking of trying out one of the rival systems. Oh, wait...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't know, been thinking of trying out one of the rival systems. Oh, wait...

Ubuntu 12 is a good alternative. Has become a very user friendly OS and if you're not wanting to play games there is software available that can probably do everything you currently do. Comes with the Ubuntu Software Centre which has basically every program you could need on it, and it's all free.

Galahu34
 Rep: 0 

Galahu34 wrote:

I am eagerly waiting for that so called WINDOWS 8

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I played with Windows 8 over the weekend.  I did not like it.  It's good for a touch interface, but I'm still not convinced I want to touch a laptop.  Or a desktop.  I have an iPad, it is great for touching content and such. 

I do not like using Windows 8 on a non-touch screen device.  I feel that is where it really fails.  It seems unnatural to do touch gestures with a mouse.  Like closing an app.  It's fine on a tablet to grab  the top of the screen and drag it to the bottom.  But with a mouse it feels unnatural and silly. 

I will stick with OSX.  It's much more reliable, great for photography, and all my devices sync to it easily.  I swtiched fully to Apple in February when I bought a MacBook Pro.  I won't look back now.  I wrestled with cheap windows machines for years.  I haven't had any major problems with any of my Apple devices.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I grabbed it the day after it came out when i saw it was only $40 bucks.  I installed it on my tower, and then i have a macbook pro for when I'm traveling.   

I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by it.  I'm still more comfortable with Windows 7, but I honestly think its just because windows 8 is such a radical redesign in a few areas.  Can't seem to wrap my head around some of it. 

In my opinion, its almost like you still have windows 7 or XP because they still give you "the desktop".  All the cool stuff is layered on over top from what I can tell. 

^^Just saw what Saikin wrote above me.  He's right on all counts.  The touch aspect converted to mouse just feels....weird.  Stability and creativity also still go to osx.  But once I get more comfortable with windows 8, I dunno if i'll still feel that way.

Board footer