You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Call the election

tejastech08 wrote:
Riad wrote:

Retirement at 50 would be doing well if this shit keeps up man.

Yeah, it's going to be tough. Seems like the cost of living just keeps going up and up. Good thing for me is I got two incredible raises the last two years, although my boss will say I was severely underpaid. I would agree with her. A couple years ago I was training a lady who was doing her taxes when I walked in to show her something on our software. I walked up to her and saw her screen. She was making darn near twice as much as me at the time. Nothing worse than training someone making significantly more than you. Felt like a kick in the balls of course. I told my supervisors about it and they've fought hard for me the last couple years to get me up to a more fair level.

Who will be the next US President?

Romney 11%
Obama 89%
Total votes: 18
misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

John, don't listen to the media. Every election rests on just a few states and it's damn near impossible for Romney to get every state he needs to win.

Cramer wrote:

Here is my call, lets see what happens:

34o6aop.jpg

I agree, I'm just not sure about VA. If Virginia goes blue Election night is over at 7:30.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Gore Vidal's $0.02 on the US Constitution / Presidential Elections

I was rather surprised on the case as he brought it up.

Do watch the rest of it as well, he brings out a lot of good points.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I agree with most of Cramer's map

I haven't been as interested in this election as the previous elections and have not checked out all the various scenarios, but I think Cramer's map is spot on and wouldn't be surprised if he got every state right. Was more realistic than the few maps I saw on CNN last night.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I think Obama will win the electoral, but Romney will win the popular. I agree with most of Cramer's map except I think Romney will win Virginia. I'm also shocked that this became close. I thought Obama would cruise to victory when the Republicans picked a guy who their base doesn't embrace, but somehow he's caught up (and it's nothing to do with Paul Ryan, who's been a nonfactor). Did the Denver debate do all this?

Looks like I missed two states, FL (although still not official yet) and CO. Obama CRUSHED tonight and put this thing to bed by 11:15. Unreal.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

95% of Black people voted for Obama last term, and I don't see that changing very much this year

There's 15-20% of the vote right there

Obama wins

Obama won the black, Latino, female and youth vote. Also with the same enthusiasm as 2008. Romney won the white vote about 60%+. As a comparison daddy Bush won that same amount of the white vote and won 400 EVs. Romney got the same amount and got his clock cleaned. That's incredibly important to understand; a shifting demographic that is now America. The GOP has to appeal to more than the angry white vote or they are in big trouble. They also need to get out of uteruses, out of American's bedrooms and purge the fringe from the party while they are at it.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

John, don't listen to the media. Every election rests on just a few states and it's damn near impossible for Romney to get every state he needs to win.

Cramer wrote:

Here is my call, lets see what happens:

http://i48.tinypic.com/34o6aop.jpg

I agree, I'm just not sure about VA. If Virginia goes blue Election night is over at 7:30.

I kept hearing everybody talking about Ohio was the big decider. I realized VA was back in play a couple of weeks ago and felt that actually could be the biggy. If Obama could pick up VA then he wouldn't even need OH. Ironically that didn't get called until much later anyway.

I realized by about 9:30-10 that Romney would need to pick up about 5/7 swing states to win. Once I saw this, I knew it was over, I just wasn't sure how. At that point I assumed (incorrectly) that Ohio wouldn't be called for a long time. Because of this I figured Obama would win by calling states like NV, CO (now trending blue) and IA. But before I knew it I saw Iowa and then Ohio. Crazy, just crazy. I never would have guessed a win this big. I guess that leads me to ask, why did he win this big?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

bfwdC.gif

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
Cramer wrote:

The GOP has to appeal to more than the angry white vote or they are in big trouble. They also need to get out of uteruses, out of American's bedrooms and purge the fringe from the party while they are at it.

BAM. I tend to be on the moderate conservative side of things, though socially liberal. I can't ever see myself voting Republican again at the national level until they get rid of the wingnuts.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Cramer wrote:

that leads me to ask, why did he win this big?

You answered part of the question in the previous post:

Cramer wrote:

That's incredibly important to understand; a shifting demographic that is now America. The GOP has to appeal to more than the angry white vote or they are in big trouble.

I'd add that most of the GOP votes were 50 and over people.  You just cannot win without getting a decent amount of votes from the younger generation.  The GOP immigration efforts over the last few years turned off a lot of Latinos as well.  Bush Jr.  was smart enough to not ignore or piss off this voting block, probably because he was Texas governor.  Romney didn't do himself any favors with blacks over his "47% comment."  And the numerous dumb things said by Republican candidates about rape led to women overwhelmingly voting for Democrats.

Also, Obama had a far superior GOTV operation and local ground game.

Last sobering thought:

There was a total of 892 million spent on this election.

Board footer