You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: The Chinese Democracy Sequel References Thread

metallex78 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
misterID wrote:

The only Robin solo DJ made better was IRS. I hate that Steve Stevens generic shit he does.

Oh holy shit, I'm glad someone else noticed that. At least Stevens used effects, dj just scrapes his pick side ways on the strings when we runs out of stuff to do and it's beyond annoying.

Anyone got a link to DJ's IRS guitaring, I don't think I've seen that, but would be interested to see that now!

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

This one?

Yepper.

I remember Robin doing that at the Aussie shows in 2007, and I really dug that bluesy stuff. Definitely some kinda SRV influence there. 3

And I would have much rather that Robin brought more of that cool bluesy riffing to Guns, than the industrial riffing sound he was brought in for.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Sorry if I'm going off topic too... just a bit late in adding stuff to the past few days of discussion.... 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it depends what sort of songs they are.

Bumblefoot's chops are lightyears ahead of anyone else in the band, so if there's any need for shred, crazy shit or unusual shit then he's the man.

I like Robin's stuff on the industrial flavoured songs - he's a good counter point to more technical players like Ron and Bucket - for example in Chinese Democracy the song. My issue with him is exclusively about how he plays Slash's works. He changes the melodies too much - it's as silly to me as if Axl got up and rapped out a new verse in the middle of SCOM - unacceptable to people  who know how the studio cut goes backward.

DJ I think is better at making the industrial songs sound more blues-rocky, and his riff writing would be a very good idea for any new rockers the band might like to add to the ballads/industrial. Think about it - Axl on some Sixx AM style riffs would go a long way to appeasing the "it's not GNR" people. it'd be some good classic rock.

Richard is the lost gun for solos. On a record that's probably going to have Robin, Bucket, Ron and DJ soloing I'm expecting he won't get a look in - but it's a shame - as his chops are better than Robin and DJ imo - he can do those Gilbertesque runs but also plays with a real classic rock vibe. He's wasted as the rhythm player.

Sky Dog wrote:

agree...Richard is a much better lead player than rhythm...he is a shitload better than dj imo

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

RussTCB wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

agree...Richard is a much better lead player than rhythm...he is a shitload better than dj imo

fortus absolutely destroys dj on guitar, there's just no two ways about it.

I can agree with this! I personally think both of them are good players from what I've seen. They seem like nice guys too. Although I got to give it to fortus for the better technique, skill, and stage presence. He has that rock guitarist swagger and a true GNR tone to his playing. I really haven't hated any of the players that have come into this band after you know who!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
misterID wrote:

The only Robin solo DJ made better was IRS. I hate that Steve Stevens generic shit he does.

Oh holy shit, I'm glad someone else noticed that. At least Stevens used effects, dj just scrapes his pick side ways on the strings when we runs out of stuff to do and it's beyond annoying.

Anyone got a link to DJ's IRS guitaring, I don't think I've seen that, but would be interested to see that now!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

fortus absolutely destroys dj on guitar, there's just no two ways about it.

I pretty much agree with this as well. As soon as Axl took the "industrial freak show" gloves off of Fortus... he turned into Slash redux.

I personally would rather just see Ron & DJ canned, GN'R go back to being a hard rock outfit, put Richard on lead, and bring back Izzy, an actual rhythm player on rhythm. That or put Tommy on rhythm, and put Duff on bass.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Marco Beltrami wrote:

They had finished tracks [...] and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. [...] The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it [...] they pretty much had the band tracks down, [but] there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on." (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

apex-twin wrote:

I'd be intrigued to think Soul Monster vocals were recorded after the downfall of the 2002 tour, but we may never know for sure.

Christmas 2006 would seem more likely, given the following:

"Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose is putting the final vocals down on a new album that he has been working on at the Palms recording studios." (Reviewjournal.com, 01/07/07)

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are 'Chinese Democracy,' 'Madagascar' and 'Prostitute.'" (LA Times, 11/25/08)

Axl wrote:

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

Board footer