You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: KISS Discussion

jorge76 wrote:

I don't know what specifically to tell you to pick up, but I will tell you shop around a bit before using Itunes.  I don't know what country you're in, but I was in a Best Buy doing some Christmas shopping last week and browsing through the cds while I was there.  I saw a bunch of the older Kiss albums are only $5, so if it means enough to you, you can get the physical copy and save a few bucks.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

jorge76 wrote:

I don't know what specifically to tell you to pick up, but I will tell you shop around a bit before using Itunes.  I don't know what country you're in, but I was in a Best Buy doing some Christmas shopping last week and browsing through the cds while I was there.  I saw a bunch of the older Kiss albums are only $5, so if it means enough to you, you can get the physical copy and save a few bucks.

U.S. but yeah I've done a similar thing and looking through bargain bins and some of the sections and found some cheap KISS CDs as well. Thanks for the input though. smile They had the 20'th Century Masters one, a cheap copy of Destroyer, Love Gun, Hotter Than Hell, and a few others lying around. I was considering getting the newer albums, Monster and maybe Sonic Boom. I got a few singles like Beth, Rock N' Roll All Nite, and Strutter online.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I didn't think Sonic Boom was very good, some people really liked it though. It does come with a disc of re-recorded old songs and a short dvd, so there's at least a lot of bang for the buck. 

Their first (self titled) album actually has a lot of what I consider their classics on it and was one of the ones I saw for $5.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

I was wondering if you guys have any KISS recommendations? Is the new album Monster worth picking up and it's definitely not a Music From Another Dimension. I was really into the Destroyed remaster as a purchase idea. Since there is so many compilations out there, I was wondering what would you guys recommend? Got a couple hits from the 70s and early 80s from iTunes and other online areas.

Must own Kiss albums:
Kiss DEBUT
Alive
Destroyer
Love Gun
Double Platinum is a great compilation
Rock n Roll Over
Creatures of the Night
Lick it up
Asylum
Crazy Nights
Smashes Thrashes and Hits
Revenge

Animalize and Hot in the Shade have several hits: heavens on fire, under the gun, thrills in the night.. hot in the shade has forever hide your heart and rise to it.

Me_Wise_Magic

jorge76 wrote:

I didn't think Sonic Boom was very good, some people really liked it though. It does come with a disc of re-recorded old songs and a short dvd, so there's at least a lot of bang for the buck. 

Their first (self titled) album actually has a lot of what I consider their classics on it and was one of the ones I saw for $5.

I think I saw that one lying around in the KISS section. Looked appealing. I saw the Sonic Boom combo at Walmart for a good price. So I'm considering it. Thanks again for the suggestions and opinions.

Me_Wise_Magic

-D- wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

I was wondering if you guys have any KISS recommendations? Is the new album Monster worth picking up and it's definitely not a Music From Another Dimension. I was really into the Destroyed remaster as a purchase idea. Since there is so many compilations out there, I was wondering what would you guys recommend? Got a couple hits from the 70s and early 80s from iTunes and other online areas.

Must own Kiss albums:
Kiss DEBUT
Alive
Destroyer
Love Gun
Double Platinum is a great compilation
Rock n Roll Over
Creatures of the Night
Lick it up
Asylum
Crazy Nights
Smashes Thrashes and Hits
Revenge

Animalize and Hot in the Shade have several hits: heavens on fire, under the gun, thrills in the night.. hot in the shade has forever hide your heart and rise to it.

I wanted this KISS clock Spencer's was selling with the Rock N' Roll Over logo design. It was $30 should of got it before the inventory was gone for the item. Might order it online later when I move out.

Revenge was an album I had my eye on for quite awhile. Listened to some of the songs. Like Lick it up it had some great musicianship. Listened to a few songs from both of those albums and I liked what I was hearing. I have the title track from Crazy Nights. Thanks for the recommendations, D.  9

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm not a big KISS mark, because I adored their 80's glam phase. I thought their unmasked era was KISS, for me. Their brand of melodic, radio-ready, pompous hair-infused power rock was really the best the medium had to offer if you think about it. Because I think in some ways KISS was self-parodying the scene, consciously. Something they did with the original glam rock in the 70's, and I don't think they get enough credit. At least 80's KISS was tongue-in-cheek, unlike say Motley Crue who actually took their shit seriously.

As for the KISSalog:

I personally think for a casual, the basics are probably in order. Firstly, go grab you a Greatest Hits and see if you dig it. The "Very Best of KISS" was a good set that included most of their big-time 70's hits, with a couple 80's tracks thrown in for good measure, and locking out with the "God Gave Rock N' Roll To You II" fantastic cover.

The catalog itself?

For casuals:

KISS (1974)
-- Their self-titled debut is an absolute must, for anyone. Fans, non-fans, casuals, diehards, in-betweeners -- everyone. An absolute amazing debut, this is another debut album rock classic, no different Queen I or Aerosmith '73. The fact it's not put on more all-time rock lists, nor recognized by the KISS Army as probably their best work is beyond me. Just downright hard rock. The band at their purest imo. I adore it from their catalog, and it should be a first listen.

Alive! (1975)
-- A better compliation of their two-albums in-between of KISS '74 and Destroyer, although Alive! is seen as tame by today's standards, not to mention "Memorex before Memorex" (alot of re-dubbing), it still is a classic in rock history of live albums. Just the sound on the record, and an almost aggressive 'real deal rockers', this set shows for those who weren't there what a live force these guys were at that time and the talent throughout the band.

Destroyer (1976)
-- By this point, this was their fourth album release, but in alot of ways the first true follow-up to their self-titled debut. An absolute legendary rock classic (masterpiece is stretching it), this was released at their prime and features a slew of their memorable classics with a tone that fans so adored that the band has tried to re-duplicate it to this day. Features Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Do You Love Me?, Shout It Out Loud, and the immortal Beth... among others.

Asylum (1985)
-- Although this is a HUGE jump in-between albums, most of the songs contained on those albums, and the forgettable solo albums, can be seen on Best of sets. Although the sound of their unmasked period really began on the sometimes underated/often overrated Creatures of the Night (1982), the official unmasking didn't begin until Lick It Up the following year. But for a real 'album listen' that captures the band at the pinnacle of their poppiest 80's sound. Several tracks are immediately catchy, and all of the ballads are pure 80's escapism.

If you like those, at all, then i'd took a little bit into mid-tier depth albums like Rock and Roll All Over, Love Gun, Creatures of the Night, Crazy Crazy Nights, and Hot In The Shade.

If you like any of those... then i'd go for the deep stuff like Hotter Than Hell, Dressed to Kill, Dynasty, Unmasked, Lick It Up, Animalize, Revenge, and the post-reunion stuff (of which i've heard very little).

When I say 'deep', what I mean is album's loaded with fan-oriented tracks that might be a difficult listen for someone looking for instantly memorable hooks and lyrics.

P.S.
Interesting listen is Carnival of Souls, for the diehards-only, as it was a failed attempt by the final album from unmasked KISS to do a 90's-themed, darker, more grunge-ish record.

Me_Wise_Magic

Rock N' Roll All Over, Revenge (which I'm having trouble finding on shelves), Destroyer (the original or recent remaster), Love Gun, and the first KISS album are what I'm looking into so far. Maybe Monster and Sonic Boom when that's taken care of. Just need to find another place to store my collection of CDs since my holder is almost filled up. It's looking good so far!

Axlin thanks for the suggestions brotha! That really helped narrow down some of their music I was looking into. But..yeah I love alot of their 80s glam material. Some great guitar work and fun songs on those albums.

I got a few songs off the Very Best of KISS compilation; but I still may pick up that Destroyer remaster any way.

Board footer