You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Elementary School Shooting in US

James wrote:

Polluxlm, the reactions by the victims families is normal. If my mom was shot in the face I would likely cry like a baby in the privacy of my bedroom but if CNN knocked on my door and thrust a camera and mic in my face, I would act COMPLETELY different. Reality shows seem to be making people think that's how you act. It's not. Normal people react differently in front of a camera.

As far as the conspiracies go, sounds like a reach but you might be on to something with that doctor. I saw his press conference live and thought something was a bit fishy there. I haven't watched Batman so cant comment on that.

Bri hit the nail on the head.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Or what if a deranged teacher or highschool student steals a gun....frankly having armed guards in a school yard is ludicris, wtf man why is the answer in America always more guns, more violence, more war

What's that all about. Can someone explain a real reason beesides "that's just ingrained in our society" BS

You can't understand.  You can't dismiss the reason because you don't like it.  We're a country like no other on the planet, and there are both good and bad things that go along with that.  There are statistics that back putting guns in people's hands making it safer.  It's not something people make up.  Why do you suppose that all these things keep happening in gun free zones and not at gun shows or things like that where guns are all over the place?  It sounds odd until you really look at it with an open mind.

U guys constantly live in fear its fucked up, fear of terrorists, fear of being poisoned by mail, fear of mass killings, fear of an appocolypse ... No wonder people snap, u want a conspiracy? Why is the media always pushing death, destruction and more guns...that's a conspiracy to end them all

I don't really fear anything.  All you can do in life is make good decisions.  Beyond that, it's out of your control.  When it's your time to go, it's your time to go.  That doesn't mean you become careless; it just means you don't take unnecessary risk and live with whatever happens beyond that.  There are certainly people living in fear, but that is as overblown as everything else is.

I pretty much agree with Buzz here. Nail on head.

Neemo, and this also goes out to DCK who just doesn't seem to get it... I don't expect you to. You have to be born here, and live it. I think the intensity of gun culture is even greater in the Southern U.S.

Even if you come here on vacation or just pass through, you cannot understand it. Because on the surface our logic is illogical to an outsider. I totally get it guys, I really do. I think "what if I was sitting in Sweden trying to figure this out", "what if I was sitting in Toronto trying to figure this out".

Why are guns so important? Why is it when guns lead to gun violence, the American answer is to buy more guns?

We DON'T live in fear here in the U.S. We just don't. Only the lunatic fringe live in fear. I'm speaking of religious types that are at the church every Sunday, convinced "Obama is gonna have chips implanted in your brain so you have to have it scanned to buy a loaf of bread, then the anti-Christ will come". Those people live in fear. Rednecks who see anyone of middle eastern decent "as a terrorism that needs to luv Ammerika or GIT OUT!" Those people live in fear.

The average American does not live in fear. Most who carry guns, especially out in public do it out of concern, not fear. Prepardness as if a gun were a good tool, not a weapon to hurt. The idealism of self-protection.

I used to work night shift as a desolate construction site years ago. Now will constantly rotated shift work. A guy who was training me, he would bring his pistol with him (illegally mind you on a state work job); he would bring his pistol for the night jobs because you were out in the middle of nowhere, and there was alot of drug running in that area. He felt safer. But when we worked day shift -- he NEVER brought it. Not because more people, because he didn't feel the need or the threat.

What's my point? Guns vs. Guns is something that is bred into us from birth. We are given toy guns to play with as small children from day one. Our ego's and manhood are tied into "how much of a macho rock n' roller I can be" -- on how well you can shoot and operate a gun, even if you don't own one.

I've been around guns my whole life, and NEVER in over a quarter century have ever had to go into public with a gun (other than school). Which brings me to my next point... school. Why did  I have to do it for a brief period years ago? Not because of gun violence, but because gangs were operating their daily business out of my school and unfortunately I got kinda dragged into a squabble I didn't ask for, and if I was SMART I had to hold a piece for my own safety.

Their rules. Not mine. Had nothing to do with school. Had nothing to do with fear. Had to do with them inforcing what they believed was their right to do business, and me having to protect my ass from a lightweight pusher that name dropped anyone and everyone as an accomplice to save his life because he was using his own product he was supposed to sell. Another story for another day. Other than that, that was the only time it was a necessity, and everyone I know outside of myself in that situation--NEVER has had to carry one on them in their entire life to protect themself. That's how SAFE it is to live in and be an American.

Which brings me to my next point...

What do Americans fear?

Absolutely nothing.

That's right. It's not a culture of being fearful, it's a culture of being FEARED and of inforcing and indoctrination. A wise man once said, "the only things that matter in this world is American interests, and anything that's countered to them".

Creating guns, creates dollars. If you can sell a war, you can sell those guns. If you sell those guns -- you make MONEY. And LOTS of it.

The news...

If you sell this story

"America A-okay; 3 people died today from a shooting; 1,456 people died today in car accidents"

That doesn't sell newspapers. Or blogs. Or news ratings on CNN.

But this news story

"American epidemic, wide spread gun violence leaves 20 children dead; guns responsible for more deaths than acts of God"

That sells. If it bleeds, it leads, and it puts butts in the seats.

I could go on, and probably bore everyone here, but at the end of the day gun violence is not "killing our country". Heart disease, cancer, car accidents... those things are killing our country. Guns? Maybe a little, but not really in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately we don't fear anything. We create profit potential. Creating death machines, creating news stories, cumming on the graves of those who die to sell news, selling an image of rampant gun violence sells political seats and agendas, and ultimately dollars get moved.

THAT is the United States of America, and for that I have no defense. That's what we do. Chase after the almighty dollar, and kill to make it more valuable. Guns are just a means to an end, and those who fall victim, casualties in the war of making as much money as possible.

Use Your Illusion

That's just the way I see it. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Lets say u have armed teachers... couple psychos catch teacher writing on marker board, jump him a. Take his gun.... lock the Indestructable door kill entire class.... I think armed teachers would be a bad idea and a terrible learning enviroment. Plus owning a gun and actually using said gun, are two completely different animals.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

One big flaw in that Axlin. Americans fear Americans. There's a reason why gun sales  sky rocket after these events and say all you want that it's because people want to be prepared but they want to be prepared based on fear of being caught in a situation similar to thsi. That fear is real because it happens regularly in America. You guys are afraid of yourself. "Guns don't kill people, Americans with guns do". That should  be the new slogan because your gun related deaths per year is fucking atrocious.

Sorry Axlin but you can psycho analyze it all you want. Talk about how inbred guns are to your culture and so on,  the fact remains Americans are scared. In mass numbers you guys are becoming more and more afraid of yourself. Americans fear absolutely nothing? Yeah I'm not buying that for one second. I know many Americans who have flat out told me they feel safer walking the streets in Canada than they do anywhere in the States. Why is that?

More and more I'm starting to see that America just may be the most mentally ill country on the planet and add that to their perverse attitude towards guns and you've got a real problem on your hands.

How's this for an American Merry Christmas. sad
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -trap.html

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Well I don't know about your American friends who've walked the streets in Canada, as i've never been... but I can tell you every fucking day people go about their daily lives without ANY FEAR of people harmed from gun violence.

So you NON-Americans can believe what you want because you are starting to just choose what you WANT to believe.

Taking guns away will not solve the problem of mental illness. Psychos will continue to kill.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Nothing changes if nothing changes. the problem is too many Americans have a defeatist attitude towards this. They say "oh it's too late for change and  "gun control" won't change anything." Ummm... YES it will. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but eventually the culture will change BUT you've got to wanna begin to make the change. Seems far too many Americans have no desire to make the change which is part sad and part pathetic.

Mental illness is a way more daunting task to solve than guns. You could technically pass laws that would change the gun culture instantly if it was strict and if it was enforced enthusiastically. I understand that's not gonna happen but it is possible. The gun problem is something you can see, something you can control if America wanted to.  Guns are something that can be tackled because they are a tangible thing. Mental illness is a much bigger problem which yes needs to be addressed but in the meantime take steps to change your fucked up culture when it comes to guns rather than saying "Oh it'll never change it's pointless". saying shit like "nothing will ever change" IS THE REASON why nothing will ever change. It's like a fat guy saying it's too late I like food too much, I could never lose weight. BULLSHIT. There's steps to be made that can change his culture and his attitude towards weight and food. It may not garner the results he wants tomorrow but if he starts implimenting the proper steps then eventually he'll have the results he wants. Now admittedly that analogy simplifies it big time but the approach is the same. the gun culture CAN change in America  if you guys start taking steps to change it but like I said Nothing changes if nothing changes.

the mental illness thing is another story. That's a tougher problem to solve but it doesn't mean measures should not be taken to increase gun control.

Common sense has worked in the rest of the world,  it can work in the States too. It'll just take a little time.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Good post, but I just don't see why law abiding American citizens should lose civil liberties afforded to them in this country because of a small death ratio of gun violence.

And the excuse of "think of the children" isn't good enough.

From what I know the mother of this kid KNEW how he was for YEARS and yet she introduced guns into the home.

Somehow that's the gun's fault.

To me that's like blaming McDonald's because you really got fat eating Big Mac's. Well if we ban the Big Mac, we solved the problem.

Yeah, maybe... but you still didn't stop the overall problem. You just got rid of Big Mac's. Big deal. jmo

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Good post, but I just don't see why law abiding American citizens should lose civil liberties afforded to them in this country because of a small death ratio of gun violence.

And the excuse of "think of the children" isn't good enough.

From what I know the mother of this kid KNEW how he was for YEARS and yet she introduced guns into the home.

Somehow that's the gun's fault.

To me that's like blaming McDonald's because you really got fat eating Big Mac's. Well if we ban the Big Mac, we solved the problem.

Yeah, maybe... but you still didn't stop the overall problem. You just got rid of Big Mac's. Big deal. jmo

That's the biggest problem right there. Americans value their civil liberty to own a gun  more than they value the civil liberty to live in a safe environment. That's where there's a disconnect between Americans and the rest of the world who view the American attitude towards guns as completely fucked up. Sorry I don't know how to say it any nicer.

Also nobody is saying it's the gun's fault. I hear that all the time and to be honest it's a ridiculous statement as it's ignoring what people are actually saying. Nobody thinks guns have minds, thoughts and feelings and can do these things on their own.  Nobody is blaming the gun per se.  Just like nobody would blame the gun if you gave a loaded handgun or assault riffle to a group of small children but you'd never hand a loaded gun to a group of small children because they are not responsible or mature enough to handle it properly and safely. Remove the gun from the equation and your end result is likely  not as tragic regardless of how many of those kids are mentally ill. You can draw up the analogy on your own from there.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

My house is on fire!
Don't worry, let's just add some flames to it!

And to continue.

Americans are shit scared of their own government.
European governments are shit scared of their people.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I see those volunteer firefighters were shot at and 2 killed.  I suppose the NRA will come out with their solution being that they now need to arm the firefighters and volunteers.

Board footer