You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Skwerl's post on MyGNR regarding his leak and his source

monkeychow wrote:

I don't like to get to into Axl vs Slash...but you guys seem to be missing the point...slash plays  songs from the the original GNR catalogue then he adds songs from the SIX ALBUMS he has made following that.

Axl has the same old records and ONE album to choose from.

So while most people go to shows for those classic old GNR records.....

Slash gives his fanbase something close to 5 new songs every year to digest, while Axl's new music output is less than a song per year averaged out.

If GNR had put out 3 records post Slash as Axl planned then he'd be able to do a show where there was at least half as much variety as slash does. But he doesn't have the catalogue to support it.

The bottom line is that GNR's always been my favourite band, but at this stage the reason it's getting dry is they made 5 albums in 6 years, then subsequently have made 15 songs in the past 20 years.

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't consider a half assed cover album to be an album...they made 4 albums of original material in 4 years. 87-91....after that 15 original songs in 21 years....brutal.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Am I seriously reading people saying Guns doesn't have the material to change up the set nightly?  BULLSHIT. Nevermind the songs off CD he ignores nightly, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, So Fine, Bad Apples, The Garden, Double Talkin' Jive, Yesterdays, Dead Horse all songs they could do no problem and use to freshen up the set nightly. But nope they coudlnt' do that because fans paid to hear certain songs. Bullshit. fans pay to see the band put on a show. Pearl Jam doesn't play Jeremy or Better Man every night.  U2 doesn't always plays Sunday Bloody Sunday or New Year's Day.  Axl needs to show some balls.  The ONLY staples Guns N' Roses really have that pretty much "need" to be played are Jungle, PC, SCOM and November Rain. That is it.  Axl is on autpilot. Nothing more nothing less. The excusses some of you make are ridiculous.

I also like how for years people fought tooth and nail to convince us that people were genuinely going to Gn'R shows to hear CD yet people going to Slash shows are just going to hear the classic Guns tunes and maybe just 1 or 2 of his new songs. Yeah ok. roll

Also the fact Gn'R play 3 hour shows isn't even a relevant point. Nobody gives a fuck about a 3 hour show consisting of 16 solos and 22 covers.  U2 played 2.5 hour shows consistently with not one solo and not one cover. If 3 hours is what gets you off then great. I'll take 2 hours of actual songs by the band I went to see and forget all the redundant solos and covers.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl is playing the songs people are paying to hear. No one is going to the show to hear Bad Obsession or Dead Horse and I doubt they'd walk away disappointed if they didn't. I'd LOVE to hear him play Yesterdays, and I guarantee you I'm in the minority at those shows. TOOL doesn't play Sober, and it pisses off their fans. Plus, Tool and Pearl Jam and U2 have way more songs to choose from to get away with that. And I guarantee you, there are fans who walk away disappointed that they didn't get to hear their favorite song, a song that made that band huge, a song that made that fan want to buy a ticket. 

No one is saying, or has ever said, there aren't people who want to hear new music. I said it in this thread. But it has ALWAYS been said that the majority are going to see Axl play his hits. He knows this. The band knows this. Everyone does. There is nothing wrong with that. If He played majority CD people would be pissed off and not buy another ticket for a show. Madonna tried that shit and it blew up in her face. When the dude does throw in a song like Nice Boys, Think About You or Down On The Farm, Civil War, it's not good enough.

And who cares? This isn't even a big deal. And no one is criticizing Slash for his setlist, btw.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Axl is playing the songs people are paying to hear. No one is going to the show to hear Bad Obsession or Dead Horse and I doubt they'd walk away disappointed if they didn't. I'd LOVE to hear him play Yesterdays, and I guarantee you I'm in the minority at those shows. TOOL doesn't play Sober, and it pisses off their fans. Plus, Tool and Pearl Jam and U2 have way more songs to choose from to get away with that. And I guarantee you, there are fans who walk away disappointed that they didn't get to hear their favorite song, a song that made that band huge, a song that made that fan want to buy a ticket. 

No one is saying, or has ever said, there aren't people who want to hear new music. I said it in this thread. But it has ALWAYS been said that the majority are going to see Axl play his hits. He knows this. The band knows this. Everyone does. There is nothing wrong with that. If He played majority CD people would be pissed off and not buy another ticket for a show. Madonna tried that shit and it blew up in her face. When the dude does throw in a song like Nice Boys, Think About You or Down On The Farm, Civil War, it's not good enough.

And who cares? This isn't even a big deal. And no one is criticizing Slash for his setlist, btw.

And like I said there are only 4 songs Axl NEEDS to play the rest can be interchanged nightly. To suggest that the fans are paying to hear the songs he keeps on the setlist and only those songs isn't even remotely correct. Fns got oa  Guns show expecting Guns songs. There are a lot of people who bought the Illusion albums and do like songs like Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession etc etc who wouldn't be devestated if My Michelle, KOHD or It's So Easy got left off once in a  blue moon. Guns N' Roses have more than enough songs to switch up the setlist. the argument that they don't is just foolish.  Nobody is walking away from a  Guns show crushed because Dead Horse was played instead of Mr. Brownstone. Why? Because like I said Gn'R only have 4 MUST PLAY songs. If bands like Pearl Jam, U2, TOOL etc etc etc etc can get away without playing some of their absolute biggest hits than surely Guns can manage to switch up the setlist without taking out their aboslute biggest hits. Fact is Axl just doesn't have the balls to do it. My god they rarely if ever change the order of the songs anymore.

the only way you'd really piss the audience off is if you didn't play Jungle, PC, SCOM and NR. That is it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Axl is playing the songs people are paying to hear. No one is going to the show to hear Bad Obsession or Dead Horse and I doubt they'd walk away disappointed if they didn't.

I agree about Bad Obsession but at the same time, no-one going to the current shows would be disappointed if he didn't play The Seeker (except for maybe Metalalex who lives and breathes for that tune alone), the Ac/Dc covers, the 3 guitar solos, the 2-3 band jams, the piano solo, the 'traditional' version of KOHD that leaves out the bits that GNR made famous.

I enjoy the GNR show and I'm looking forward to the current tour, but if I'm honest I couldn't say that Axl's show is as it is because it's jammed full of the songs he's forced to play by the audience and there's no filler or room for anything different.

There are SOME songs the audience requires like NR, Jungle, PC no doubt...but the majority of the 3 hour setlist is NOT filled playing those numbers.

I do agree that no one but hardcores like us would enjoy  a full CD show...there is an element of classics that must be played....but the real problem is simply that GNR does not have a catalogue big enough post the old band to create the sort of novelty fans want.

That's 100% the difference. Slash plays Nighttrain and PC every time as well but it's fresh because there's 6 albums worth of other stuff to mix it with.

And more broadly as a Slash fan i have no doubt that pending a death or something horrible, there's a VERY strong chance that 3 years from today I'll have at least 12 more slash songs that I haven't heard. The focus is always on new things with a respectful and fun amount of tribute to the past.

Hopefully in 3 years we'll have CD2...but the lack of forward momentum is really why these debates occur. 1 album, however good, is not a lot to sustain your fans for 20 years, especially when the line up who plays the older material isn't the line up that's famous too.

People would prefer Slash had Axl on stage, but they get used to myles cos they're starting to know the new songs that come out each 2 years (Back from Cali for example got a significant pop at the last show I went to - i was surprised as I assumed the audience was there for SCOM) - the problem with GNR is they're not giving you either thing - it's not the classic gnr you knew - and it's also not a forward moving new band that's giving you current music and the next-stage of Axl's artistic development.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

GN'R isn't just known for four songs, though. The songs from AFD and the singles they released off of UYI are a deep part of what this fanbase loves. Again, I understand what you're saying, bono, but these concerts aren't geared towards people who see multiple shows, or follow the band on boots, like Pearl jam fans do (but I always felt that wasn't fair to the casual fan). Out of all the bullshit, I actually think his setlist is pretty cool presently. Give or take some of the solos and covers. That's one thing I think he's doing right for the fans who are going to see him.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

no-one going to the current shows would be disappointed if he didn't play The Seeker (except for maybe Metalalex who lives and breathes for that tune alone)

14 14 14 14

monkeychow wrote:

Back from Cali for example got a significant pop at the last show I went to - i was surprised as I assumed the audience was there for SCOM

Yep, same thing at the show I went to, Back From Cali got HUGE cheers from the crowd when it was played. So did Anastasia.
That tells you that there are casuals interested in hearing more than just GN'R songs when seeing Slash live these days.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised about the people defending Axl's current set list here more than anything.... 10

Of all the GN'R forums on the net, I always took the fan base here to be MUCH smarter than that, to know that Axl's sets have become REALLY bland, and that he could easily mix it up by playing more UYI, more CD, or even an unreleased CD2 tune...

People go to GN'R to hear GN'R songs, I highly doubt people would walk away disappointed hearing more seldom played GN'R originals than Who and ACDC covers.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

GN'R isn't just known for four songs, though. The songs from AFD and the singles they released off of UYI are a deep part of what this fanbase loves. Again, I understand what you're saying, bono, but these concerts aren't geared towards people who see multiple shows, or follow the band on boots, like Pearl jam fans do (but I always felt that wasn't fair to the casual fan). Out of all the bullshit, I actually think his setlist is pretty cool presently. Give or take some of the solos and covers. That's one thing I think he's doing right for the fans who are going to see him.

I agree.  I see people at every show I go to singing along to "Mr. Brownstone", "It's So Easy", "Rocket Queen", "Patience", "Don't Cry", and "Estranged" among other songs.  It's more than just four songs that are known by people in the audience.  I also agree that this is show is not geared towards the more hard core fan.  Which, like it or not, makes sense to me.  I think the hard core fans that are on the message boards are a small fraction of a given audience.

Ali

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

So did anything leak?

Board footer