You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

misterID wrote:

Like Axl pointed out, Slash didn't come in with Coma as is, that it took a lot of work and input to get it where it was. It's not even a song that Slash ever talks about, so I'm not so sure he's as open to epics as you might think.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Slash not interested in "epics"?
Sir, I give you one word..."COMA".

I think Slash has some sort of issue with ballads, not epics. I cannot say I blame him..he gave his heart and soul to Estranged, Breakdown, NV and Don't Cry ..epic ballad style tunes he filled with such thought, craft and a beauty that its completely fair and balanced to say that they took Axl's tunes to an entireky new level..no orchestra required.

Was Coma a VR song?  Were any of those songs VR songs?  Go back and read what I said.  I'm agreeing with most of what you're saying, he took the songs to new levels.  I even said that.  WTF is going on here?  Dare to say Slash doesn't walk on water and you're taken out behind the woodshed?  Do people even read what people write anymore or just start taking them to task over what they think they are going to say?

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

may be a bit of confusion here Buzz, it wasn't you I was answering. I'm writing on a limited PC and can't follow the threads as clearly as I'd like.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

may be a bit of confusion here Buzz, it wasn't you I was answering. I'm writing on a limited PC and can't follow the threads as clearly as I'd like.

Ok, apologies then.  I thought I was the only one that said Slash's post GnR work didn't contain any epics (or whatever it was exactly that I said).  My apologies.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

No need to apologise, I think this is my bad actually.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with ID. Slash was NEVER interested in epics. I think he's a lazy writer first, and a fantastic writer second. Alot of his solo songs reek of half-baked ideas, and stuff he could've fleshed out more into legendary material if he was pushed by an Axl. Izzy was the same way.

Axl was the one wanting to push and branch out. Not Slash. Period. Sorry guys.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Like Axl pointed out, Slash didn't come in with Coma as is, that it took a lot of work and input to get it where it was. It's not even a song that Slash ever talks about, so I'm not so sure he's as open to epics as you might think.

Yeah, Axl's word is gospel, isn't it? He's a really reliable and honest guy, isn't he? It took him only two decades to remember correctly, while when Slash was in the band, Coma was "Slash's baby"?

Sorry, but it's ridiculous that Axl comes up with his bullshit regarding Coma, but he wrote November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse etc. alone, right? The man who can't play guitar. They wrote those songs together. Period. Just one guy stole a ton of writing credits from the others and another was overcredited to make him stay in the band.

On the epic vs. straight forward songs debate. Yeah, Axl was the one who was pushing them to make huge epic songs. That was a good thing. But. As time proved it, without Slash all those Axl epics suck big time. Look at Chinese Democracy. He didn't have quality material to begin with, but blown up Catcher, that mediocre, Yesterdays-type 3 minute song to a 7-minute boredom. Chinese Democracy is the epitome of dreaming big, while not having the talent and working ethics needed to succeed.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

I dont think it's "laziness" that stops Slash doing epics, he's an AC/DC type writer...3-4 minutes of balls to the wall rock and that's it.
Personally, I think that limits him but it seems to be his modus.
The man is not lazy..his Conspirators career is all him, the album, the distribution deal, the interviews, the 360 filming of his gigs, the twitter updates, the competitions etc...
Even in his GNR downtime skag daze he was flying all over the place to play gigs.
The epics debate is about personal taste, not work ethic.

Slash should play with guys like Jerry Cantrell to broaden out his pallet a bit, but he's from the Angus Young / Rory Gallagher school of rock and that means sticking to what you feel you do best.
I'd like more and got a glimpse on "Watch This" but I'm not holding out for a d-tuned epic full of crazy guitar sounds any time soon.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

For a good refresh on the UYI writing process (interview with Slash so I await the heckling!!)

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ … -ii-496629

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Sorry, but it's ridiculous that Axl comes up with his bullshit regarding Coma, but he wrote November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse etc. alone, right? The man who can't play guitar. They wrote those songs together. Period.

They didn't write November Rain and Estranged together. Axl wrote the songs on piano and Slash added some awesome guitar solos to them later. They didn't write the songs in the same room like they did with the Appetite material.

Board footer