You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GNR played Acoustic gig for Tommy Hilfiger in CA

Riad wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Riad wrote:

That's assuming that the, chord structures are what make the music great. That may be the case with some bands like the Ramones where it's all about hard hitting chord structures, but it wouldn't matter a shit with GNR because GNR is about the sound of Axl's voice and the emotion he expresses with the tone of Slash's guitar and the emotion that expresses. They could be playing 2 chords over and over or baroque masterpiece and it's still the sound of that voice and that guitar together that make the music great. The proof of that for me is this:

That piece of music was selo-taped together from two random sources, and the match of voice and guitar tone just fucking exceeds either songs original version (with the exception of Buckets amazing Solo on ITW). There is no one out there listening to GNR for their chord structures.

For the record here. I'm talking about old guns I personally love Chinese Democracy and enjoy the current lineup a lot. I would say my fav GNR songs are Better and IRS then Brownstone. I'm talking about Old Gnr here. I think had Slash given those songs to Axl they would have been pure gold and I base that conclusion of the mix above of a VR song with Axl's awesome vocal over it and I think that's fair enough to be honest.

But I'm not just talking about chord structures. I'm talking about lyrics and melody. It's easy to say that a hypothetical song might be better than what we actually have – because we'll never have the hypothetical song to compare with reality. Who knows what lyrics and vocal melodies Axl might have come up with for Slash's Snakepit songs? Who knows how they would've been altered over the course of rehearsals? Axl might have decided to slap electronic fart noises and orchestras all over Beggars and Hangers-On for all we know.

Yeah so then you're saying it's the lyrics and melody that make the song, same thing. For me it's the sound of slash and axl together that's the most important part and I do know how that sounds.

No, I'm saying that comparing hypothetical songs to ACTUAL songs is an exercise in futility. It's like Star Wars fans in the 1990s saying, "Wow, imagine if George Lucas were to make a Star Wars film with modern special effects..." – in their minds it would be the perfect film, because they were basing it on their expectations. And then George Lucas made the prequel films, and they were disappointed; never mind whether the films were good or not, they could never have lived up to the perfect films that fans had conjured up in their imaginations.

Yes, This I Love with a Slash solo on it might have been the greatest song ever, but we'll never know – just as we'll never know what lyrics and melodies Axl might have put on Beggars and Hangers-On or Fall To Pieces. They might have been absolute donkeys, for all we know, and for all that you assert that the "sound of Slash and Axl is the important thing." Because in your imagination, the combination of Slash and Axl would have created some sort of magic that would've lifted the songs – but that's just your imagination talking.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Intercourse wrote:

I personally LOVE that mash up also. For what it is, it sounds so promising,...its the only Axl & Slash I can get these days so I'll take it.
Can't find and Apocolyptic Love / CD mash ups anywhere.. good for curiousity value..

Yeah..I personally love the If The World mash up. Well produced and remixed. Still love the original versions of the songs though.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Are we really doing this AGAIN with the old band?

Axl does look pretty fucking cool in those pics

now if his voice will return to 06 or even 2010 form!

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

There's no friggin question in my mind that Axl's voice could come back to 06 levels. I'm not claiming to know anything special, but my gut is that it's entirely a matter of a hardcore training regimen.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

smoke wrote:

There's no friggin question in my mind that Axl's voice could come back to 06 levels. I'm not claiming to know anything special, but my gut is that it's entirely a matter of a hardcore training regimen.

He just needs to keep rehearsing & rehearsing all the time to keep his voice in check. Also showing up at sound check will help a ton. (which he rarely does)

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I always loved that New Beginnings mash up. The closest i've heard to what a reunited GN'R might sound like.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Someone said it best a while back

Axl said on Eddie Trunk in 06, he quit drinking cause he cant tour cause it dries his throat out and makes it a nightmare... he has partied every night.... I think if he gave up the drinking he easily could get his voice back to that level.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree, but it doesn't help when you have bandmates (Tommy, *cough cough*) up there telling him he sounds "great", when even Axl himself knows he sounds like utter shit.

He needs someone to be objective with him. But at the same time i'm not Axl, and there's times I sound great and spot on, and there's other times no matter what I do I sound like utter crap, the throat seizes up, it's very painful, and suddenly you go Mickey Mouse just to try to get through the song.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He was drinking and partying in 2006 and that's when his voice sounded the best. He was even drinking on stage, wasn't he?

I always thought it was either he was out of shape (sucking wind and out of breath) or he was just breezing through the songs.

Board footer