You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Russia hit by Meteorite

Lomax wrote:

A heavy meteor shower rained down on central Russia today, spreading panic as the hurtling space debris smashed windows and injured dozens of stunned locals, officials said, with reports of nearly 400 people injured.In a scene reminiscent of a Hollywood science fiction movie, a meteorite shot across the sky, sending fireballs crashing to Earth, smashing windows and setting off car alarms.The terror caused by the event led terrified witnesses to talk about 'The end of the world' and other doomsday related chatter.

Still image from video shows the trail of a falling object above a residential apartment block in the Urals city of ChelyabinskRussia Meteor

The meteorite raced across the horizon, leaving a long white trail in its wake which could be seen as far as 200 km away in Yekaterinburg. Car alarms went off, windows shattered and mobile phones worked only intermittently. Television footage showed morning traffic grinding to a quick halt in the Urals city of Chelyabinsk as a blinding flash lit up the blue sky, causing some to huddle in buildings for safety.

A local ministry official said the meteor shower may have been connected with an asteroid the size of an Olympic swimming pool that was due to pass Earth at a distance of 27,520 km but this could not be confirmed. The Emergencies Ministry described the events as a "meteor shower in the form of fireballs" and said background radiation levels were normal. It urged residents not to panic.

A medical source said that 400 people came to hospitals for medical treatment, while the emergencies ministry confirmed that cellular telephone communications were temporarily cut.

WATCH: Amateur Video showing the Meteor

"A meteorite disintegrated above the Urals (mountain range in central Russia), partially burning up in the lower atmosphere," the local office of the national emergencies ministry said in a statement.

"Fragments of the meteorite reached Earth, falling in sparsely populated areas in the Chelyabinsk region," it said.

Officials said a part of the meteorite fell 80 kilometres (50 miles) from the town of Satki, itself 100 kilometres west of the regional centre.

Schools were closed for the day across the region after the impact blew out windows of buildings and temperatures had plunged in central Russia to -18 degrees Celsius (0 degrees Fahrenheit).

Most of those injured were treated for minor cuts and bruises from shattered glass, the local police department told the RIA Novosti news agency.

The Chelyabinsk region is Russia's industrial heartland, filled with smoke-chugging factories and other huge facilities that include a nuclear power plant and the massive Mayak atomic waste storage and treatment centre.

A spokesman for Rosatom, the Russian nuclear energy state corporation, said that its operations remained unaffected.

"All Rosatom enterprises located in the Urals region -- including the Mayak complex -- are working as normal," an unnamed Rosatom spokesman told Interfax.

The emergencies ministry said radiation levels in the region also did not change and that 20,000 rescue workers had been dispatched to help the injured and locate those required help.

The defence ministry meanwhile said it had sent soldiers "to the sites of impact."

Footage of the incident broadcast on state television showed at least two bright flashes fill the sky at around 9:00 am (0500 GMT) as the streets filled with morning rush hour traffic.

Amateur footage posted on YouTube showed local men swearing in surprise and fright, and others grinding their cars to a halt.

"At first I thought it was a plane," one man told Russian state television.

Source:http://www.indiatimes.com/news/asia/shockingmeteorite-hits-russia-400-injured-61125.html

johndivney wrote:

i saw one of these fireballs a few months back. it flew right over my house. initially it looked like someone had set off a few fireworks all close together then they started looping up overhead in a trajectory you'd expect from something in orbit but going even faster.

it was so close i could make out individual fragments, there was between 8-12 of them but when they got further away they did look like just one giant ball. they looked blue/yellow & pinky-reddish, they did make a some kinda noise, a small sorta hissing & a few small bangs but they kept their uniform shape & motion there was no explosions or anything.

it was an amazing thing to see & tbh more than a little scary initially!
luckily it seemed to either burn up or head off back into space.
i'm just bummed i wasn't quick enough to capture footage of it cause it did generate a bit of interest on the news over here at the time but nobody really got a good as shot of it as what seemed to happen over my house.

& it wasnt just luck of the draw. i'm a bit fo an amateur astronomer so was out that night w/the telescope when they appeared coming from the south/south east. i've never seen anything like it before or since. am gonna go looking for this asteroid tonight tho!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's shocking and amazing how quick this (us) could all be over and gone in mere seconds.

All it takes is "the big one".

Scary stuff. Even though the Ruskies thought we, the U.S., bombed them initially (just fyi, your country is a toilet, and we could care less, thanks anyways for the compliment though of our power and how skeered you guys still are of us), but seriously my best wishes and safety to all my Russian friends in the mother land.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

It wasn't a meteorite it was the Autobots.

Kidding aside. this happend right near where I live in 2008.  I was standing in the living room looking outside and it just appeared out of nowhere and in what seemed like both a lifetimeand an instant the entire sky lit up. My living room lit up as though it was broad day light and then t got dark as though it was an insanely sped up sun set.  For a second I was actually confused as to what just happened and kinda concerdn because it looked like it landed in town. I had never seen anything like it. Turns out it landed in a  field about 500km(roughly 250 miles) away but I'm telling you it looked so big and the way the entire sky lit up it looked like it landed in town. This is some footage from another town about 200 km away from here I live. the videos don't even remotely do this justice as to what I saw. I have no doubt what those Russians saw was unbeliveable.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

It's shocking and amazing how quick this (us) could all be over and gone in mere seconds.

All it takes is "the big one".

Scary stuff. Even though the Ruskies thought we, the U.S., bombed them initially (just fyi, your country is a toilet, and we could care less, thanks anyways for the compliment though of our power and how skeered you guys still are of us), but seriously my best wishes and safety to all my Russian friends in the mother land.

Where did you hear that nonsense? Sounds like a load of bull in terms of news reporting to me. Initial reports also said Russian military blew it out of the sky with missiles which was obvious bullshit.  I highly doubt many Russians thought the Americans were attacking 16 maybe a few nutjobs but that's about it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There were a few Russians that got interviewed, just people on the streets, and were talking shit about the U.S. doing it in Russian.

I don't think it lasted long tho.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Bus-sized meteorite explodes over Cuba!
http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/02/meteo … te-strike/

Between them and Russia, all I can say is...

WOLVERINES!!!!! big_smile

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

There were a few Russians that got interviewed, just people on the streets, and were talking shit about the U.S. doing it in Russian.

I don't think it lasted long tho.

16 too funny. If i was there and someone said that I'd slap them out of generosity. They'd need it

Board footer