You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Dizzy Reed:"I’m very proud of Chinese Democracy"

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Rich plays notes more accurately than Slash

Are you kiddin' me?

On the other hand the UYI band played more precius live than the AFD line-up, since the weaker players were gone. I also think that they were a much, much better live band than what we have today. Plus, the decline of Axl alone makes any pre-2010 Guns N' Roses better than the current one.  axl92   axl

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Dude, I could come up with FAR more videos of Slash fucking up his own songs he WROTE during the UYI period... and you know it.

I completely AGREE with you. But I understand Dizzy's POV that from a musicians standpoint, especially being he just gets to sit and play keys and kinda feel and observe what the other guys are doing, why Dizzy would think this is the tightest GN'R have ever been. They are.

Personally? I think it's just AGE. All of these guys are older. Even DJ. They're not young bucks.

I think if you took current Slash, clean Izzy, Duff & Steven, kept Dizzy... and sent them out there, Dizzy and probably Axl, would be stunned how tight they were live in 2013. They've all mellowed and gotten tighter as musicians with age. Especially Slash & Duff. Even Dizzy seems to kinda fuck around with the keys a bit more than he used to.

Of ALL of the original guys, and UYI guys, with the SOLE EXCEPTION of -- Axl -- are tighter. Axl somehow found a way to get worse with age. He misses his marks/notes far more today than 20 years ago. Which is stunning considering, all he does is sing the same shit he's been singing since 1993 or earlier, short of about 5-6 tracks from Chinese, and a couple covers. Insanity of it all, is usually shit like The Seeker and Whole Lotta Rosie are the better performances of the show.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Axl's vocal performances are a mystery. On the one hand, it's hard to fault someone for getting older. I'd think it's a no brainer that a musician playing an instrument would age better on his instrument than a vocalist- especially someone with Axl's vocals.

On the other hand, I still don't believe that Axl has slipped into the weak Mickey voice becuase of true limitations. We can still hear the rasp and power in spots. He's still got a sweet spot range that he can scream in. I don't know if it's his lifestyle, lack of training, or he's "saving it" in exchange for longer set lists or the studio. But my money would be on one of the first two reasons.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I get that. What scares me is he's sloppier than he used to be. Old Axl was never like that. He used to just throw down the fuckin' mic and leave if he was fucking up.

smoke

smoke wrote:

It's sad how at some point he stopped feeding off his anger and instead let it cuff him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To be real about the line ups....

Dizzy was brought into the band by Axl, and it was pretty much against the wishes of Slash...and I suspect some of the others too...who didn't see the need for a full time keyboardist.

I suspect that for this reason even before all hell broke lose he was probably never exactly welcomed or made to feel part of the real AFD click from anyone other than Axl.

Probably didn't help him feel positive about that era, add in a the subsequent drama, and his friend/boss Axl's long time blooming anger/hurt to slash and it's no surprise Dizzy isn't singing the UYI band's praises today.

Meanwhile we know the Bucket/Robin era was plagued by clicks within the group.

So now these days where Ron/DJ/Richard all seem on good terms and all cool with Tommy/Frank and you can see why Dizzy thinks they've got the best chemistry.

I think the current band is the best of the modern incarnations, bring Axl back to 2006 scream standard and you'd really have something.

Then again...being real....the UYI/AFD band rewrote the history books.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

All it would take to get Axl back to 2006 standard is some vocal training and some discipline. The difference between 2002 and 2006, and 2006 and now, is that Baz put Axl in touch with his vocal trainer on the '06 tour.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke

smoke wrote:

Giant birthday cakes don't grow on trees you know.

Board footer