You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

Gibbo wrote:

I dont know much about it isnt the new xbox anygood

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I finally finished Far Cry 3. It was an awesome game that only suffered due to my need to wander around completing every possible quest before finishing games. The most annoying thing to me was the load times (XBOX360)- any time you'd die, it would take forever to reload.

So I've moved on to Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock 1 and 2 (esp 2) are amongst my all time favorite games. While I really like Infinite, and the new setting, I feel like it's lacking something. Combat seems somehow more clunky, I seem to die a lot more than I did in 2. Also, there's no real major choices to be made (though I've read spoilers that explain this as a design choice.) I'm also underwhelmed by the "vigors" (aka plasmids) - they're kind of dull and not as effective as previous ones. Also, their upgrade paths are boring. They removed all mini games (no hacking short of shooting a Possession vigor at machines, no lock picking.)

Anyone else playing this? Me_Wise?

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Almost finished playing it. Got it a couple weeks ago and been busy with work and projects; so haven't had the time to finish it. Getting around to it this week actually. smile Liking the experience so far. Love Elizabeth and the dark nature of the story; but also the environments are absolutely gorgeous. I'm on Normal difficulty and my dad has played a little on Easy when he is free. I agree the vigors can be freaking annoying and dull at times especially when going up against so many enemies; so I had to be careful with my attack patterns and ammo.  There are some that kick ass and the interface works well for the  most part. I've died a good number of times; so I can relate to these game play frustrations. There is lock picking though; but just to open extra item doors and doors to get to the next objective or side mission. Elizabeth does that for ya once you pick up the items in various locations. So wish you had more allies in the game instead of everyone turning out to have alt motives or being racist as hell. Still haven't played the first Bioshock because I have so many other games on my list to finish, my friend sold his copy before I asked to borrow it, and other things. I've heard mixed reactions to the second one. I'll give my full reaction of the game once I finish it.

Are you getting the Blood Dragon Far Cry 3 game? I'm hoping to get that next after I finish a few games and pick up Back to the Future: The Game (which I've waited months to get on Steam) The trailer for Blood Dragon looked really fun to play.

smoke

smoke wrote:

Yeah I know there's lockpicking, but as you said, it's really just having enough picks to hand to Elizabeth. It just seems like they removed a lot of the "extra" stuff in this iteration. BS2 is one of the best games ever - I HIGHLY recommend playing it. It takes some shit for being a bit dualistic in the good/evil character development, which may be why there's almost no noticeable moral choices in Infinite.

Another thing that REALLY bugs me about Infinite. When you walk in on a huge battle, it's really friggin hard to decide who's on your side. Pick wrong, and suddenly you're fighting EVERYONE. smile I've done that more times than I care to admit.

I MIGHT get Blood Dragon, but it'll be awhile. I tend to buy too many games for the amount of play time I actually have, so I'm always working through a backlog. I started playing Tomb Raider on PC before I got sucked into FC3, so I've got that to return to as well. Plus, a whole bunch of impulse buys from Steam.

Me_Wise_Magic

I see. Ok cool I might look into that later on. I think with the Season Passes as well as future DLC they may add more content and missions into Infinite. Don't know what the 1999 mode involves besides being goddman difficult and a few more achievements/trophies. I concur about the battles. You always have to have backup items in case you run into a wave of enemy AI including Patriots and Handymen. Other than that, the game itself has improved for me over the past couple of levels as well as the character development and presentation. The game play is far from perfect and could be tweaked more; but other than I find myself still appealed and compelled to keep going through the game till the campaign's end. Yeah..I know what you mean about Steam. So many games to pick up and purchase; just I need room for my PC at the moment and I'm probably going to purchase a cheap PS3 soon once deals start coming in when PS4 launches and I check the math.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Just got a new computer rig. Any suggestions to games that can test my performance?

smoke

smoke wrote:

Tomb Raider!

smoke

smoke wrote:

So I beat Infinite two days ago. The ending is really cool. Like all Bioshocks, I dove right back in for a second playthrough. Most of my initial criticisms stand, it's on rails compared to the others, but I gotta say, I'm enjoying round 2 much more.

Something that really changed my opinion on the vigors, Me Wise- try chaining them if you haven't already. Blast em with Crows and follow up with Fire or Shock. There are other cool combos too.

Me_Wise_Magic

Yeah I've upgraded my vigors to be a little more effective like the chain thing with Shock and the upgraded Devil's Kiss and such. smile Still stuck on the final battle on the airship by trying to call fucking Songbird. Takes forever and I get my ass kicked while trying to take out all these armored enemy AI on the ship and keep failing the mission. Since the thing is on the damn timer and air ship health bar. I may switch it to Easy mode if these problems keep happening. I've done everything else on Normal since this is my first Bioshock that I've played through. Elizabeth is still an amazing character and the story has been fantastic with it's twists and turns; but...it's just hard in terms of game play and all of this going on. That Lady Comstock ghost took forever to beat and had to defeat her 3 times in the same few hours.  So I may see if my friend near my house who I think already beat it can try and help. So so close..and yes I may give it a second go around later on in the coming months once I take care of a few other games. Played some Injustice the other day and of course the online multiplayer sucks ass. Not much to do for single player; but it plays well and the presentation is awesome. Just needs more game play modes.

Board footer