You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: New Pearl Jam coming soon

Son of a Gun wrote:

Pearl Jam is long overdue their creative years.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Everything they've done since Vitalogy has been derivative IMO. I'm bored with it. I wouldn't call it bad, I just don't care to hear it anymore.  :-/  To sum up, meh.

I agree 100%.   My brother said one time that PJ, while good, just never had their Quadraphenia album.  That one blockbuster that redirected their career. No Exile on Main Street. More recently Black Album or Achtung Baby.  Ten was almost unanimoursly their best album, I do live Vs myself. Vitalogy was good, but the lesser of the three.  They've never had a great album since. 

My problem with the single is while it's ok in a Minor threat/vintage 80s punk kinda way, that's cool & all for a throwaway song, but PJ haas TWO Hendrixian guitarist capable of doing long killer solo's. That's what I want & like from PJ, and I think they do best (and need to do).  IMHO Eddie Vedder, while great & unique & all, holds the band back. Intentionally.  In his lofi, less produced way. The band needs to remove him from the studio, write some great material, then bring him in to overlay the vocals. Like they did wwith Ten basically.  He controls & tapers the band too much.  Just my $.02

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I haven't really heard anything riff wise or solo wise like those first two albums. It seems they just stick to barre chords and simple, few-note solos.
I would've thought for such talented players that they are, they'd get kinda bored by that... Kinda like how Richie Sambora doesn't really do anything interesting in Bon Jovi these days, even though he can shred with the best of them.

Thats the only time I'll ever compare PJ to BJ... 10 14

Bloodflower
 Rep: 8 

Bloodflower wrote:

Backspacer IS a great album. How many actually took the time to listen to the whole thing?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Backspacer is my favorite Pearl Jam album of all time.
NO bullshit.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:

Backspacer IS a great album. How many actually took the time to listen to the whole thing?

Yeah, it's pretty good, but I still don't hear riffing or soloing that compares to Vs or Ten on there

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
RaZor wrote:

Everything they've done since Vitalogy has been derivative IMO. I'm bored with it. I wouldn't call it bad, I just don't care to hear it anymore.  :-/  To sum up, meh.

I agree 100%.   My brother said one time that PJ, while good, just never had their Quadraphenia album.  That one blockbuster that redirected their career. No Exile on Main Street. More recently Black Album or Achtung Baby.  Ten was almost unanimoursly their best album, I do live Vs myself. Vitalogy was good, but the lesser of the three.  They've never had a great album since. 

My problem with the single is while it's ok in a Minor threat/vintage 80s punk kinda way, that's cool & all for a throwaway song, but PJ haas TWO Hendrixian guitarist capable of doing long killer solo's. That's what I want & like from PJ, and I think they do best (and need to do).  IMHO Eddie Vedder, while great & unique & all, holds the band back. Intentionally.  In his lofi, less produced way. The band needs to remove him from the studio, write some great material, then bring him in to overlay the vocals. Like they did wwith Ten basically.  He controls & tapers the band too much.  Just my $.02

I completely agree. I re-listened to the song, and although it doesn't suck... there's nothing wowing about it. Nothing instantly catchy about it. There is no catchy "Spin The Black Circle" chorus, and again it seems like Eddie, Eddie-ing all over the record.

I am curious to here the rest just out of loyalty. But yeah, I totally agree. I think it's ironic the more control Eddie got and the more he wrote, the less and less likeable the songs became.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

As the days tick down to the Oct. 15 release date of Pearl Jam’s tenth studio album ‘Lightning Bolt,’ the band has revealed the disc’s full 12-song track listing.

The disc, of course, includes the first single ‘Mind Your Manners’ in addition to a few of the new tracks that Pearl Jam debuted live at their Wrigley Field show in Chicago back in July – the title track ‘Lightning Bolt’ and ‘Future Days.’

Another familiar song title is ‘Sleeping By Myself.’ The track originally appeared on Eddie Vedder’s 2011 solo disc ‘Ukulele Songs.’

One very important element of the forthcoming disc has been the artwork. Pearl Jam recruited artist Don Pendleton, who has been instrumental in bringing the album and the artwork for each song to life. Bassist Jeff Ament recently commented on Pendleton’s work, sharing:

One of the best thing about being in a band is collaborating with each other…sometimes we go outside the circle and work/play with other artists. Don Pendleton has been one of my favorite visual artists over the past few years and we’re honored to work with him on ‘Lightning Bolt.’ He killed it. Thanks.

In other Pearl Jam news, the band will kick off their fall 2013 North American tour on Oct. 11 in Pittsburgh, Pa. with dates spanning through Dec. 6 in Seattle, Wash. Check out all the dates below:
http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-unveil-tr … ning-bolt/

‘Lightning Bolt’ Track Listing:

‘Getaway’
‘Mind Your Manners’
‘My Father’s Son’
‘Sirens’
‘Lightning Bolt’
‘Infallible’
‘Pendulum’’
‘Swallowed Whole’
‘Let The Records Play’
‘Sleeping By Myself’
‘Yellow Moon’
‘Future Days’

Bloodflower
 Rep: 8 

Bloodflower wrote:

It is so great when a band isn't afraid to release new material including little things like this that fans eat up. I'm so looking forward to Lightning Bolt. Pearl Jam are classic in a  really great way. Not an old washed up classic but a vibrant and evolving classic.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty good, but I still don't hear riffing or soloing that compares to Vs or Ten on there

I never listened to Grunge when it was popular outside of Nirvana, so looking back after the fact and experiencing it later...

I don't like Grunge Pearl Jam..

Grant I dig Black, Alive, Daughter, Better Man etc etc

but on a whole... I don't like them at all.

Fast Forward to the self titled album on... I love them.

Go figure.

Board footer