You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Ideas for new GNR songs, performed live by Ron

Anyone going to rip the audio from the third one and try layering the guitar parts? Could be interesting...

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I love Ron and his playing, but fuck this just makes me want new music already.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Ron wants to write and record new music for Guns. Why? For one, he'd be potentially earning from them beyond his tenure in Guns, depending what sort of royalty agreements would be drawn up. It'd be good money for him, if so. Also, there's the matter of actually behaving like a band by making music. He's worked his ass off since late 2009 on the road, while the focus has shifted from an early, earnest effort to showcase CD material and promote the album into a Greatest Hits package. It must be said at least a handful of CD songs per show are included, so it's decidedly Axl's GH instead of merely panhandling on the Slash legacy. But then we take into consideration that even the latest original songs are at least 10 years old by now... How by anyone's standards that can be seen as anything but a nostalgia act?

The CD songs feel more alive with the current band than on the record. There, I said it. When comparing the boots to the multitracks, the prolonged production time and personnel changes become apparent. Guitars are added on top of each other, takes are meshed to cobble up something out of nothing. Brian May didn't have an organic take on Catcher on the leak; he took several passes at the material, possibly without took much guidance, to see what would happen. He didn't nail it on the outset - Axl ordered his takes to be chopped up and meshed into something quite different. May didn't have a problem - it's the man's album - but that incessant combing looms over every song on the album. Too much potential killed CD, because it could've gone any which way, musically, and Axl seemed to have a hard time cherrypicking.

There's bound to be another album of CD songs out there, with temp mixes, orchestra and the usual trimmings. The leftovers, or the "more advanced" stuff. Axl has more than likely waxed poetic on it since 2008. How would he feel about it now? I wonder if he sees it as a clunky, overproduced mess of an album. Had CD launched different (read: years earlier), there would've likely been a popular demand for Album 2. Universal would've told Axl to buckle up and do the dog and pony show all over again just so because there's a reasonable revenue to be had. Right now, the label doesn't seem to have Album 2 anywhere near their priority listing. What is their priority?

CD was one of the very last releases to date on the Geffen imprint. Jimmy Iovine of Interscope resurrected the name (again) in 2011, relocating its operations to New York. Interscope (another part of the trinity which is Interscope Geffen A&M) is still active, only its ran by Jimmy Iovine. As we all know, Axl set his hounds on Iovine following the CD release. Granted, an unceremonious BestBuy dump was a slacker attempt on anyones part and to a degree, it makes sense for Axl to have felt so despodent as to not participate at all in the most lackluster promo campaign in recent memory. Only the audiences were alienated long before, and the comments given to the media by Axl and Tommy most certainly peeved their label head, Iovine.

While the bridges were set aflame, Axl had the elusive edge of Irving Azoff set to save his career. Azoff wanted the second album out, so he could sequester Axl from the new band and towards a reunion. Faced with an uncaring audience and a useless label, Axl's best bet would've surely been the Van Halen tour Azoff was dangling to begin his recovery as an artist. Only Azoff was another 'traitor', and was let go. Like his successors, Doc McGhee (KISS) and Peter Katsis (Ministry). These were all experienced managers, who likely caught up in an instant what a hair-trigger character their client was. Doc, for one, apparently had the dubious plan of re-releasing CD, no doubt at his clients behest. I can imagine the word of mouth. "Check the new album sleeve - now free of typos!"

With no levarage on an album, touring keeps the band alive and, for his part, Axl works hard to keep the band touring. Guys like Ron keep saddling up in a mere months notice, if needs be. Being on Guns now is being on a continuous watch for a new gig. It must pay better than whatever else these guys might be doing, but it's also quite restricting in considering your personal timetables and other opportunities. Brain more or less admitted that passing the drum stool to Frank freed him up to do commercials, remixes and session work to such a degree that going on the road with Guns would've been a step down, financially. Not to mention Frank likely being a more economical touring drummer on a night-by-night basis.

The label doesn't see an incentive to push for a release, the management continues to be an ineffective joke (that's you, Beta), the band members are there for the gig. Gloomy? The one thing that can turn the boat around is a push for new material. If Axl had serious faith in the stuff he has in the vault, he would've premiered a new song or two live by now. Just to piss off the label, to create buzz and so forth. All we've gotten is a Tommy tune, continuous remarks from muppets like DJ that work on the next album is imminent, and Ron's public push to do new material.

It appears Ron doesn't see Album 2 (the CD tracks) in the cards, because nothing's happened with it in aeons. The band can either focus on writing new material with what they've got or slowly disband like the preceding lineups, getting replaced by the next generation of session musicians.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Ron wants to write and record new music for Guns. Why? For one, he'd be potentially earning from them beyond his tenure in Guns, depending what sort of royalty agreements would be drawn up. It'd be good money for him, if so. Also, there's the matter of actually behaving like a band by making music. He's worked his ass off since late 2009 on the road, while the focus has shifted from an early, earnest effort to showcase CD material and promote the album into a Greatest Hits package. It must be said at least a handful of CD songs per show are included, so it's decidedly Axl's GH instead of merely panhandling on the Slash legacy. But then we take into consideration that even the latest original songs are at least 10 years old by now... How by anyone's standards that can be seen as anything but a nostalgia act?

The CD songs feel more alive with the current band than on the record. There, I said it. When comparing the boots to the multitracks, the prolonged production time and personnel changes become apparent. Guitars are added on top of each other, takes are meshed to cobble up something out of nothing. Brian May didn't have an organic take on Catcher on the leak; he took several passes at the material, possibly without took much guidance, to see what would happen. He didn't nail it on the outset - Axl ordered his takes to be chopped up and meshed into something quite different. May didn't have a problem - it's the man's album - but that incessant combing looms over every song on the album. Too much potential killed CD, because it could've gone any which way, musically, and Axl seemed to have a hard time cherrypicking.

There's bound to be another album of CD songs out there, with temp mixes, orchestra and the usual trimmings. The leftovers, or the "more advanced" stuff. Axl has more than likely waxed poetic on it since 2008. How would he feel about it now? I wonder if he sees it as a clunky, overproduced mess of an album. Had CD launched different (read: years earlier), there would've likely been a popular demand for Album 2. Universal would've told Axl to buckle up and do the dog and pony show all over again just so because there's a reasonable revenue to be had. Right now, the label doesn't seem to have Album 2 anywhere near their priority listing. What is their priority?

CD was one of the very last releases to date on the Geffen imprint. Jimmy Iovine of Interscope resurrected the name (again) in 2011, relocating its operations to New York. Interscope (another part of the trinity which is Interscope Geffen A&M) is still active, only its ran by Jimmy Iovine. As we all know, Axl set his hounds on Iovine following the CD release. Granted, an unceremonious BestBuy dump was a slacker attempt on anyones part and to a degree, it makes sense for Axl to have felt so despodent as to not participate at all in the most lackluster promo campaign in recent memory. Only the audiences were alienated long before, and the comments given to the media by Axl and Tommy most certainly peeved their label head, Iovine.

While the bridges were set aflame, Axl had the elusive edge of Irving Azoff set to save his career. Azoff wanted the second album out, so he could sequester Axl from the new band and towards a reunion. Faced with an uncaring audience and a useless label, Axl's best bet would've surely been the Van Halen tour Azoff was dangling to begin his recovery as an artist. Only Azoff was another 'traitor', and was let go. Like his successors, Doc McGhee (KISS) and Peter Katsis (Ministry). These were all experienced managers, who likely caught up in an instant what a hair-trigger character their client was. Doc, for one, apparently had the dubious plan of re-releasing CD, no doubt at his clients behest. I can imagine the word of mouth. "Check the new album sleeve - now free of typos!"

With no levarage on an album, touring keeps the band alive and, for his part, Axl works hard to keep the band touring. Guys like Ron keep saddling up in a mere months notice, if needs be. Being on Guns now is being on a continuous watch for a new gig. It must pay better than whatever else these guys might be doing, but it's also quite restricting in considering your personal timetables and other opportunities. Brain more or less admitted that passing the drum stool to Frank freed him up to do commercials, remixes and session work to such a degree that going on the road with Guns would've been a step down, financially. Not to mention Frank likely being a more economical touring drummer on a night-by-night basis.

The label doesn't see an incentive to push for a release, the management continues to be an ineffective joke (that's you, Beta), the band members are there for the gig. Gloomy? The one thing that can turn the boat around is a push for new material. If Axl had serious faith in the stuff he has in the vault, he would've premiered a new song or two live by now. Just to piss off the label, to create buzz and so forth. All we've gotten is a Tommy tune, continuous remarks from muppets like DJ that work on the next album is imminent, and Ron's public push to do new material.

It appears Ron doesn't see Album 2 (the CD tracks) in the cards, because nothing's happened with it in aeons. The band can either focus on writing new material with what they've got or slowly disband like the preceding lineups, getting replaced by the next generation of session musicians.

This.

But Jesus... The Argentinian Tango....Complete with Axl-isms... Is THE comeback song. If there was ever going to be an opportunity for one. Which, I'm afraid is looooong gone.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

What I find entertaining about Ron's song ideas is that it's surely only a matter of time before evader or someone cleans them up and adds those cellos, drums and basslines that he's describing...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

What I find entertaining about Ron's song ideas is that it's surely only a matter of time before evader or someone cleans them up and adds those cellos, drums and basslines that he's describing...

That's whay I think he was joking about the whole thing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And supposedly little jams like this, DJ's been playing around with too, as well as Dizzy fucking around on piano.

And umm... why are we not working? These guys are wanting to write music.

Honestly anymore? I look at the shittastic state of the music industry, and I think Axl had it alot easier than he ever thought. I don't see Axl having the know-how or ego to deal with new GN'R songs being posted on SoundCloud before there release. I don't think Axl likes the idea of releasing a GN'R album through a small label or on BandCamp.com

I think it scares him, and I think with the state of the world, his personality... I don't know if he has anything else left to say. Axl is a passionate guy who has to be aggitated to write. Where's the conflict in his life? He said all of that on Chinese. What else is there to talk about? 19 year old hookers, good dumps, and nice cigars?

The guy will not be David Coverdale, finding new and inventive ways to write the same love song for 30 years, and being damn good at it. I think more and more, Axl's done.

Board footer